Skip to Content

Fish Photos (or Stories) - Please Post !!!!

Find, identify & discuss the marine species of SANParks
Jubs

Re: Fish Photos (or Stories) - Please Post !!!!

Unread post by Jubs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:50 pm

We regularly stop on the bridge at Lower Sabie and scan the waters. We saw this Tiger in April 2011 in the pool below the bridge on the Tshokwane side

Not a fish but I want to share this with you. We photographed this python at the end of June 2011, lying in the water close to the same pool as the Tiger - even got nice video footage as it swam away

(in case you wonder how I got so close, both were photographed with my Canon 7D with 100-400mm lens (plus a bit of cropping :wink: )
"Where your focus goes, energy flows!"

Eagle Owl

Unread post by Eagle Owl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Cool, Jubs!! :thumbs_up:

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Waterbuck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 am

Eagle Owl wrote:Thanks Ettiene.. :D SO rectified me on the first pic and said that it indeed was some type of yellowfish. Looking at the picture now I recognise that their slim bodies look just like those we caught in the Vaal... :redface:

Hey there Eagle Own - indeed, as you say, it is some type of yellowfish. Same family as those in the Vaal, but it is most likely that those you saw in the Vaal were Smallmouth Yellowfish (Labeobarbus aeneus).
Nice to hear that your interest has been tweaked :dance: :dance: :dance:

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Waterbuck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:49 am

Jubs wrote:We regularly stop on the bridge at Lower Sabie and scan the waters. We saw this Tiger in April 2011 in the pool below the bridge on the Tshokwane side

Jubs :clap: :clap: :clap: What amazing pictures - both of them. I am once again amazed at the behavior of the Tigerfish, seeming to just hang around at the surface. Would be great if other people can let me know if they have seen the same.

Well its official: Lower Sabie Bridge for Tiger sighting :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

As for the snake - great great great sighting and hope it inspires people to post more on this thread.
:whistle:

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

Found these White-headed Vultures feeding on a catfish near Shingwedzi in 2007.

Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Waterbuck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am

Great pic - thank you Wiltuinman. I am actually surprised that we are only getting the first catfish pic now :D But this one of vultures eating a catfish is quite special.

Tobieo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tobieo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 pm

These images were taken from the low water bridge over the Sabie River at Lower Sabie Rest Camp. Both the Greenback Heron and Yellow-billed Stork were having a feast. Just standing and picking these small fish off. Any brave people to ID the fish (including you Eric :D )

This might be slightly more challenging.... :twisted:

Nov 2017 KTP
9 & 10 Nossob
11 to 15 Grootkolk
16 to 19 Urikaruus

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Waterbuck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Tobieo wrote:These images were taken from the low water bridge over the Sabie River at Lower Sabie Rest Camp. Both the Greenback Heron and Yellow-billed Stork were having a feast. Just standing and picking these small fish off. Any brave people to ID the fish (including you Eric :D )

Thanks for posting these great pics Tobieo - I am afraid that to ID these fish is like asking of me to ID the exact species of the blue fly that only lays its eggs in the dung of educated buffalo :| ......can probably give a few options or possibilities, but even that won't be accurate. Please keep posting me fish pics if you have. :thumbs_up:

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Waterbuck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Actually Tobieo......looking at it again the fish in your pics may very well be River Sardine (Mesobola brevianalis). But I can't be 100% sure. They may also be Longbeard Barb or Straightfin Bard. But if I had to choose one it would be River Sardine :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

Heksie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Heksie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Waterbuck, as Cheetah said we especially took some pics this past week in the Kruger for you. This was taken on the bridge at the Kruger Gate on my first day, there are yet more to come later. Hope you have fun identifying these. :thumbs_up:

Have a lovely evening
2-5 March Skukuza

31 March - 8 April Skukuza

14 -17 July Tsendze
18-22 July Satara

8 Dec - 12 January 2018 Satara

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Waterbuck » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 am

Heksie wrote:Hi Waterbuck, as Cheetah said we especially took some pics this past week in the Kruger for you. This was taken on the bridge at the Kruger Gate on my first day, there are yet more to come later. Hope you have fun identifying these. :thumbs_up:

Hey Heksie (Cheetah)....I am soooooo stoked to get some fish pics again :dance: :dance: Thanks a million. I was wondering when there was eventually gonne be someone that goes to the trouble of looking at some fishies again. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

The fish in these pics are Mozambique Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus). They are mouth brooders, meaning that the females lays her eggs and then takes them into her mouth straight after fertilization. Here she cares for the eggs and will also care for the fry (young fish) once hatched.

Looking forward to your other fishy pics....... :thanx:

Heksie

Unread post by Heksie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:37 am

That is what I love about this forum-now I learned something new this morning :thumbs_up: We actually liked taking pics of the fishies, as it was totally different from any other Kruger trip and simultaneously decided that it is a must looking for fishies and taking pics of them in any Kruger trip! :dance:
The forum has changed me so much-was always only the animals and since I joined the forum started looking at birdies and now it is the fishies :tongue:

Have a lovely day Waterbuck
2-5 March Skukuza

31 March - 8 April Skukuza

14 -17 July Tsendze
18-22 July Satara

8 Dec - 12 January 2018 Satara

ILove Africa

Unread post by ILove Africa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:29 pm

We sat and watched this fish migration at the low water bridge at Shingwedzi in Jan 2010, the crocs and waterbirds had a feast, there were millions of these little fish, I don't know what they were.

pnm

Unread post by pnm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi I Love Africa

I was there at Shingwedzi at the same time 2010 and went every few houtrs to watch the water rise. The birds went beserk.

Here is a close up of what they were catching(the photos are actually taken in the middleof the low water bridge):

One of the Herons also got this strange looking thing at the same time - fish or frog or what? Can anyone help?

Much the same looking thing on the beak of a cormorant at lower Sabie weir:

Keep well
Pete
Pete

pnm

Unread post by pnm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 pm

I am a fisherman - but here is a story that even I wouldn't believe unless I hadn't taken photos of the whole thing. My SO and I stopped in the middle of the low water bridge near Shipandane Hide to take photos of the Hamerkop, when I saw two barbel swimming upstream from the "rapids" towards the bridge (covered by about 2cm of water). They gave the Hamerkop and then me a fright - they came closer and closer then both simply slithered UNDER the car, out the other side and into the deep water witjh the hippos. Here is the series of photos. The blurred line in the last photo is the window of the car. Look for birds and get fish. That's Kruger.

Keep well
Pete
Pete

Return to “Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish”