Skip to Content

The cost of posting pictures.

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

The cost of posting pictures.

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:53 am

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I ran out of my monthly cap in a very short space of time. I had my computer checked for any programs running in the background and my PC was given a clean bill of health.

The only thing that ha really changed is the new set up with photobucket. Every time I upload pictures, I have live streaming adverts coming up. I am given the choice to cancel, but by the time my computer responds, quite a load of cap has been used up. :evil:

I have always been very happy with photobucket, but even watching the cam and posting pictures costs me in valuable data. Am I the only one with this problem?

I would love to hear if there are less costly ways to upload my pictures from those who use other sites.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

suebfly

Re: The cost of posting pictures.

Unread post by suebfly » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:23 am

Hi MM - I don't use Photobucket so cant comment there. However when the live cameras started some years ago I changed to an un-capped internet option. I don't know if that is an option for you but it means that I can have live streaming 24 hours a day and never run out. I am told it is a little slower but nothing that I notice and I work at my computers all day as well as doing all the fun things

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 am

Suebfly, I wish I could use that option, but I live in an area were the only thing available is 3G. There are no fixed lines and data contracts can only be done through Vodacom, or MTN. There is not even Cell C coverage.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:05 am

MM, we use Afrihost as our ISP - dsl line. But have a look at this, it might be a cheaper option for you. They are owned by MTN. http://www.afrihost.com/landing/mobile_data/
Sawubona
Dalene

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 pm

DB, Afrihost will be hosting my website. They are the best around I believe. Unfortunately they are connected to MTN and I am with Vodacom... hooked into a contract. :( Once my bundle runs out, it costs R149 for 1 Gig. There is also the hassle of having to go to a Vodacom outlet to pay.

I found that with the live streaming on photobucket adverts, 1 gig lasted only three days. That was just posting a few cam pictures.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:20 pm

MM, not being very technical, I'm not quite sure what y0u are asking (or wanting) so if this info is not it............just ignore!!!!

When we are in Phala, I use my Vodacom USB dongle, and buy a monthly data bundle.
I use FLickr, and when I want to upload photos and put them on Flickr so that I can post on the forums, and when I indeed post them on the forums, it is easy peasy!!! Flickr is free for the first (I think) 200 photos, but then there is a yearly subscription of 25$ (roughly).

It works for me!!!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Val, I have been very happy with photobucket until recently. It is free, so I understand that it has to get revenue from somewhere. My problem is that the videos that advertise their products are using up a lot of my data. For someone like myself with a capped data bundle, it means that up loading pictures has started to cost a lot of money.

It is as though I was playing a you tube video for each photograph uploaded onto my bucket. There is an option to stop the video, but by the time this happens, it has already eaten into my monthly data ''budget''.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:47 pm

I looked at the ad free option offered by photobucket and it will cost a minimum of $2.99 a month. For someone like myself who only uses photobucket for the forum, it is a pure waste of money.

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

MM, I also use Photobucket and I don't see any adverts. :?

What browser are you running?
Can't you find an adblock add on?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Perhaps a simplistic question, but is there an unlimited data plan from SA ISP's?

In the US internet access is charged by connection speed, not data usage. Except for cell phone data.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Stark wrote:Perhaps a simplistic question, but is there an unlimited data plan from SA ISP's?

In the US internet access is charged by connection speed, not data usage. Except for cell phone data.

There is but only for fixed lines/landlines Stark. 'Wifi' is still very costly here, and there is not full coverage around the country.

So, we have an adsl line to our home, on our telephone line, we rent from the telephone provider, Telkom (state), for about R300 pm. Then we still need to pay a monthly fee to our ISP - Afrihost in our case, this is R199 pm for uncapped. Prices do differ on connection speed too ... but one relies on the speed of the lines from the state provider. So we pay for top speed line which is 4mb, but if our line is slower than that, tough. We, here in CT, get 512k.

It is when we move away from the modem, and have to switch to 3G that things get really costly ....

Edit: Interestingly I see Kalahari.net are selling a basic smart phone at what is a good price for SA (R2000) and say it is to provide lower income folk with a basic human right = internet. Now for the cost of data to come down ...
Sawubona
Dalene

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:54 pm

I have also the same problem (I think) my photobucket is full... and if I want more pictures I have to pay :shock:
... but can't remember how much :hmz:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 am

JenB wrote:MM, I also use Photobucket and I don't see any adverts. :?

What browser are you running?
Can't you find an adblock add on?

Jen, brilliant idea. I will get my daughter to help me this weekend. The problem only happens when I upload, but just spending a short time uploading cam pics cost about 4 days of my data budget.

anne-marie wrote:I have also the same problem (I think) my photobucket is full... and if I want more pictures I have to pay :shock:
... but can't remember how much :hmz:

Anne Marie, if I was more serious about photography, the monthly cost would not be too bad, but for someone like myself, it is money I could use else where.

Stark wrote:Perhaps a simplistic question, but is there an unlimited data plan from SA ISP's?

Stark, I really hope that option will become available soon. I think the high price of data is holding many small business back.

As DB said, there is also a infra structure problem. Where I live there are no fixed lines, so I am completely dependent on 3G. It is very costly. I try to keep to 4G a month, but that is getting more and more difficult. I find many websites have adverts that take up a lot of data. I follow two news websites and one professional site. The news websites also carry hidden expenses.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39 am

Hi MM,

What I did was to enlarge my monthly bandwidth on photo bucket that does not allow any adverts at all.

Another reason behind changing to the unlimited bandwidth is the fact that I found that photos on the SANParks website is removed when your bandwidth is fully used for a specific month :doh: . (gives the mods a lot of headaches to inform 'mites that their pictures does not show anymore just to be told that this is the reason and that the pictures will show again the next month).

I am not an expert, but it seems that the more that 'mites are looking at your pictures on the forums the faster your bandwidth is use up or it might be the more pictures you have on the forums the faster your bandwidth is used up :hmz: .

It cost me R293.00 for the year and my data usage dropped dramatically as well :thumbs_up: .

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Barry, I have seen quite a number of photos with flicker disappear on the forum. :hmz: Now I know the reason.

I have only used one third of my photobucket allowance. I find it interesting that your data usage dropped.

Return to “Chill Room ”