Skip to Content

Night Vision Goggles

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
FlorisCathy

Night Vision Goggles

Unread post by FlorisCathy » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello wildlife spotters,

We are Kruger addict (who isn't) and would like to know if anyone has some experience with a night vision goggles during the night drives. Is it worth it buying one? And where do we need to pay attention to, because I saw a lot of differences (2nd+ generation? / infrared light attached / video output etc.).

We also would like to see pictures token through a night goggles (if anyone has those).

Greetz Floris & Cathy
I am a heartless person,
Not because I am cruel.
No, it's because I am in The Netherlands right now,
And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Night Vision Goggles

Unread post by DuQues » Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Sjoe! I would be careful with them, unless the output is limited. The spotlights will flare like mad in your vision.
And those very spotlights will probably ruin the useability of the goggles.

But maybe someone tried?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

FlorisCathy

Unread post by FlorisCathy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi DuQues,

Tnx for your reaction. I have red on the internet that there are also goggles which regulate the light input, but if that takes a few seconds, then I am blind when a spotlight just hit my vision.
I am a heartless person,
Not because I am cruel.

Richprins

Unread post by Richprins » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello, FlorisCathy!

Duques is a navy seal, so has experience of these things!

Goggles are incredibly expensive, and whatever the spotlight interference, it would be a wonderful priviledge just to be able to sit at the fence at night and check around, never mind night drives! :shock:

I'm sure spotlight operators on the drives would be more than delighted to keep out of your way...don't know! Very interesting scenario! :thumbs_up:

Looks like decent ones start at around R20 000!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Richprins wrote:Duques is a navy seal, so has experience of these things!

Sjoe! I forgot about that! :wall:

:lol:

But yes, I did use them quite a lot while in the Army. They were totally secret then (1980) and made the Dutch firm quite a lot of money.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

FlorisCathy

Unread post by FlorisCathy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Richprins wrote:Looks like decent ones start at around R20 000!

We saw some goggles with a Dutch import company. The most expensive one they have (I really don't have a clue wheter the quality is good enough) would be around € 700, so that would be R 7 000.
But there are also less expensive goggles from about € 250. Then the infra red spotlight will reach for about 100m. But when there is a little light from the moon and stars, the infra red light wouldn't be needed and then the goggles reach about 500 meter clear vision.
I did e-mail them what to take into account fur the purchase from such a goggles.
I am a heartless person,
Not because I am cruel.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 pm

You can go cheaper (and possibly lighter) with something like this.
But still, during a nightdrive? Super for at the fence though!

Shi
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi FlorisCathy,

I bought a nightvision monocular last yr May. It is a Bushnell. I specifically bought it as I was spending a night at Shipandani hide and wanted to see what was out there. I also wanted to be able to record any activity that was happening whilst I slept. The product worked well and did what it was meant to. As the others have mentioned beware of light it is highly not recommended with these type of devices.
The only thing I found was that I struggled to get used to the black&white contrast of peering at creatures at night and it made me feel a bit nauseous the first few times :D
Shi
"I have a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Lebombo mountains"

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:56 am

Unless you get a top model, their use are rather limited for game viewing. On a moving vehicle with lights, it is simply not practical. The simple monocular types which will set you back around R 7 000 is really not worth it.

But yes, alone in the dark with a really good one ... could be some fun.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

JDW

Unread post by JDW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:49 am

Greetings from England
I have some considerable experience as both a user of night vision and also a professional buyer of that type of equipment.
Most of the the top quality of equipment is available to Government ie Military and Police only. Much of it is produced by the USA and is covered by very strict end user licences.
The equipment available to 'Joe Public' is of a far lower quality.
In my opinion you would need to spend in the region of UK£2,000 / Euro2500 or about 25,000 rand for anything worthwhile.
I think that paying a lot less will disappoint and you will quickly want to see more. Additionally the cheaper the item the more fragile the tube and more reactive to light. Many cheap tubes will burn out very quickly if subjected to light, particularly direct light.
Its your money and your choice
Good luck
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

FlorisCathy

Unread post by FlorisCathy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 am

Hi All,

Tnx for you replies. I think it isn't worth to buy a NightVision Goggles.
And maybe it's more fun to search with spotlights and use our own eyes and ears...
I am a heartless person,
Not because I am cruel.

Ranred

Unread post by Ranred » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm

I understand it is not the same but it is similar: what about a thermal imaging camera?
Does anyone know how much a decent thermal imaging camera would cost and where one could be bought, if it is a viable option? And does anyone have any experience using a thermal imaging camera in the bush?
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

JDW

Unread post by JDW » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:28 pm

Ranred
Yes they are a very different technology.
Night vision (NV) works on capturing natural night light, the tube intensifies it giving a view. Usually with agreen tint with a range, dependent on quality of up to 200 metres. NV can't be used in daylight or lit urban areas without burning (damaging) the tube.
Thermal imaging (TI) equiment works on seeking a heat signature. This then gives a view normally black and white with the larger the heat signature the whiter the view. For example a persons face will be whiter than their body when clothed. Also the harder someone is working the brighter the heat signature therefoe the brighter the view of exposed areas. You will know what it is by shape but would not normally be able to indentity it as a particular person pr where animals are of similar shapes and size.
I have also used and purchased a considerable amount of TI. Once again the best equipment is not only very expensive it will be restricted to Government use including the Military. The top end is dominated by USA technolgy and covered by very stringent end user licenses.
At the lower end it is still expensive (more than NV) and will deliver little more than show something is there with poor deffinition.
My choice would be a good quality camcorder with night view ie offers zero lux, and a IR lamp. Range is limited but is affordable
Hope this helps
Regards
JDW
2015 - Sep - North Wales

Ranred

Unread post by Ranred » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:19 am

It's quite interesting how the different technologies work. I once saw a show on the antics of lions at night where they used solely used thermal imaging camera's and the results were amazing. The images produced where very clear and similar to normal daylight images bar the colour and lacking some texture but I suppose that kind of equipment will be incredibly expensive.

So it seems there isn't really any affordable alternative in that case. That was a great help, much appreciated! :thumbs_up:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

JDW

Unread post by JDW » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Ranred
Even the cheapest worthwhile models are about £10K to Government. They will give reasonable product over fairly short range. One of the main uses for TI outside of the military is at major incidents such as where buildings have collapsed and they are looking for people who are still alive (heat signature).
I would hate to think how many noughts are on the end of the equipment used for professional standard broadcast!!
Regards
JDW
2015 - Sep - North Wales

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”