Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
DrPhil

Re: Expecting moms to be and Malaria prevention

Unread post by DrPhil » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 pm

There are means of preventing getting bit, if they are followed then I see no reason for you to cancel your trip. We have been there with my SO pregnant and not one mozzy bit her or me and the family.

now I will run and hide :wink:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

nicksteroonie

Malaria in Kruger in June

Unread post by nicksteroonie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

My wife and I used to visit the Kruger Park a few times a year before we had our kids. It has now been more than 5 years since our last visit as we have been avoiding malaria areas to be safe for our children's sake.

We are planning a visit to Boulders and Satara in June with our two kids as well as our extended family. The kids will be aged 3 yrs and almost 6 yrs.

We specifically decided on June due to it being winter and hopefully much lower risk of malaria. Can anyone advise if we are being silly and taking a chance?

Any idea of how safe these two camps are in terms of the malaria risks?

I realise any doctor would recommend taking malaria drugs but from my experience the side effects are too many and I wouldn't give these drugs to my kids, I would rather cancel the trip.

Thanks!

Elsa

Re: Malaria in Kruger in June

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Altho the Winter months are of a lower risk, it's still there and IMO one needs to take as many precautions as possible especially where children are concerned.

There is a lot of info for you to have a read through to give you more advice Here and a lot of reading Malaria
also Kids/babies in the park which you might like to have a read through.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

nicksteroonie

Unread post by nicksteroonie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for the links, I've read through each of those threads......difficult decision! :)

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

It is a difficult decision I agree but after reading all the info its really a personal choice and up to the individual.
Good luck and have a wonderful and safe trip if you decide to go for it. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Do you think your children would be fully able to explain to you if they felt ill? i.e. how ill they felt, where they hurt etc.

But yes it is a personal decision. Read all the literature you can get hold of and talk to your GP. Then make an informed decision.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

noby74

Re: Malaria

Unread post by noby74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:36 pm

We decided to only use Repellents and stay inside in the evening to prevent from being bitten.

But we wanted to make an early morning game walk. Is there still a danger early in the morning right after sunrise?

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:57 am

Noby, once the sun is up, the infected mossies pretty much disappear. There can still be a few mosquito bites in the transition from just before dawn to sun-up, so don't take any chances. Remember, too, that there are usually lots of mossies in the various stages of dawn, so there is a fair risk of malaria there. The key to safety is when the sun is good and risen. :thumbs_up:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature

Re: Expecting moms to be and Malaria prevention

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:07 am

Leaping Lizards wrote:We have decided to go to a non SanParks park which suites our guests a little more.

Assumedly you were in a non-malaria park too, LL? And that you're now back and had a fabulous time?

That aside, we are finalising our 2 week visit to Kruger for September and will book this week.

I see that you did change your booking successfully to September 2014, LL. Congratulations. :clap: I wanted to ask if that same pregnant lady will be going with you in September and if she will then be bringing her young baby with?
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

GregH

Unread post by GregH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Wow - at 80 pages, perhaps this forum needs to be subdivided now? Anyway, hope this is the right forum for my Q :-)

I have a reservation in Pretoriuskop end April/early May. Now I have been going to Kruger for 40 years and even did time there in the army so I am not particularly concerned about the malaria issue but I am going up with family that are incredibly nervous. They apparently know a few people that have had a run in with malaria in the park in the past few months and now want to postpone the reservation until winter. This is fine except that we have kids and well, the park is full in the July school holidays. There is still time to cancel the reservation without forfeit I think but before I take that sad (for me) step, my question is this: is malaria in the park any worse this year than in previous years? Has there been an increase in malaria cases attributed to KNP visits? I have heard about malaria issues up in Limpopo but read nothing in the news about heightened concerns in Kruger.

PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PietSkiet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi GregH,

As far as I know the malaria is not worse in the park. I would suggest that your family take the necessary precautions as required. Your trip does fall towards the end of the high risk time and I would not postpone the trip at all unless you have member on board that is pregnant.
You can also call the Kruger malaria hotline on 082 234 1800 where they will give you up to date information.
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

GregH

Unread post by GregH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks PietSkiet,

I tried that number but I get a "the number you have dialled does not exist.."

PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PietSkiet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi GregH,

Apologies for that, I got the number from the info that was sent to me with my previous reservation. You can try the following number 083 900 8424. I tested the number and it does appear to be the right one
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:50 pm

The decision must be yours, but we have been in Phalaborwa since November, and there seem to be very few mozzies around this year, than in previous ones.

Having said that of course, only one mozzie is needed to do the damage.

I would always recommend taking precautions. :thumbs_up:

ctm7943

Re: Malaria risk in August/September

Unread post by ctm7943 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:40 pm

We are visiting KNP & a private reserve in Sept 2014 for 1 week. I have read this entire thread. What I have gathered is that mossies are active/bite between dusk & dawn.
We plan on taking Malarone. And also using repellent on our person before we head out for sunset (dusk) guided game drives in KNP & reserve and also light candles in the room upon our return.

My qustion is: Do we need to re-apply repellent in the morning (dawn), before heading out for morning self drives (KNP) or guided game drives (reserve)? I am assumming that the temp will be quite cool/cold at that time of day.

Also we plan to shower @ mid-day, hopefully when they are not active.
This may be a silly question, but I am only used to the mossies in the US, which are not around/active in the winter, even if it rains.
Thanks

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”