Skip to Content

Advice needed on how to allot time at KNP

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
LennyM

Advice needed on how to allot time at KNP

Unread post by LennyM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 am

Hello,

First time posting to this site. My wife and I will be travelling to KNP in July 2018 with our 11 year old daughter. We are flying into Johannesburg and will plan to rent a car to drive to the park. We will have about 9-10 days to spend at Kruger. We are planning to stay overnight in one or more camps and self drive. I don't have a good sense of how to allot our time. We are looking at staying in the bungalow accommodations.

How many camps would you recommend visiting? Which camps would you recommend? How do we arrange to go on guided early morning hikes, or late evening drives?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
LennyM from Portland, OR, USA

Elsa

Re: Advice needed on how to allot time at KNP

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 am

Warm welcome to the forum Lenny! :clap:

9 to 10 days is going to give you a wonderful overview of the park.
For first time visitors we generally advise staying more in the south where there is a higher concentration of animals and not less than 2 to 3 nights per camp to avoid the constant packing up which does eat into your day.

Depending on when your flight arrives in Jhb and your tiredness levels should dictate on whether you leave straight away or drive to the park the next day.
There is the option of flying from JHb to the KMIA airport which is close to the park and from where you can hire a car, stop off for provisions and then enter at your preferred gate.
Please do have a read through the various topics in the Index to Kruger National Park where you will find lots of good info as well.

Do be aware that July is school holidays in S.A so the park will be busy and accommodation somewhat limited so I would advise you to get your booking done ASAP.
Have a look throough the Availability to see what is still available at that time.
You should be able to book 3 bedded bungalows and you can either book the guided drives at the same time or when you check in at the various camps.
Children under 12 are not allowed to go on the walks but can take the drives.

Get yourself a map book when you arrive so you will be able to navigate yourself around the park and plan your routes.

Please do ask if there is any further questions you have. :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 am

A very warm welcome, Lenny. :gflower:

Elsa has given some excellent advice.

I would seriously consider Satara, Skukuza and Lower Sabie for eco diversity, facilities and really good roads. If you wish to look at smaller camps, Biyamiti, Talamati and Tambotie are very popular. Tambotie gives a true bush feel and it might be rather exciting for your daughter to experience a camp like this.

I always enjoy Sundowner drives. If you manage to get a night or two at Biyamiti, I would recommend a drive from this camp. The guides are well know for their passion and knowledge.

I tend to lean towards spending the first night outside of the Park. It will make your drive a lot less stressful, as you will not need to worry about gate closing times. The gate closing time in winter is 5:30, which leave no space for error.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

DianeGracieB

Unread post by DianeGracieB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Ahhhhh, Lenny
First time visitor to the Park. That is SOOO exciting. You are going to LOVE it.

I agree with the other Forumites - the South is best for first time visitors due to the high concentration of animals. The camps are all so different and it's hard to favour one over another. I love the busyness of Skukuza and the sightings around it are amazing. Berg-en-Dal is a very special camp and so is Satara (lots of cats!). Lower Sabie is a "must-do" , too. If you have the time, a visit to my favourite, Olifants, would be great.

Enjoy your trip, but do book it quickly, to avoid disappointment.

Happy travels for you and your family!

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”