Skip to Content

Forum Members And Park Rules!!!

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

UKWAZI

Forum Members And Park Rules!!!

Unread post by UKWAZI » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Everybody...

I just felt I had to start this thread...

After seeing a forum member with a YELLOW RIBBON :big_eyes: getting out of his vehicle to take photographs of a leopard just North of the Letaba Highwater Bidge (you will know who you are :naughty: ) over the Easter Weekend I just wanted to remind everybody that when you drive with a yellow ribbon in the park you are representing ALL the forum members including me and it is easy to complaint about OTHER people breaking the rules, BUT please, let's keep our behaviour in place to set a proper example when we are in the parks.
To be or not to be, that is the question...I am and I want to be!!!

UKWAZI

Re: Forum Members And Park Rules!!!

Unread post by UKWAZI » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:04 am

Sorry, no photo :cry: BUT...will a photo really serve the purpose in conveying the message. My intention is NOT to accuse anybody or single one forum member out for his bad behaviour (it might have been a spur of the moment adrenaline rush), I only want to remind all the regular complainants that we must remember "to clean up our own act" before we make any comment's on other peoples behaviour. I know that 99% of all the mites are always doing the right thing when they visit the Parks, and that's great, but the remaining 1% must be reminded that when you drive around with the famous yellow ribbon, you are an ambassador and need to stay within the 'code of conduct', DON'T YOU AGREE :huh: or am I missing the point completely :hmz:
To be or not to be, that is the question...I am and I want to be!!!

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:19 am

Ukwazi :thumbs_up:

I know there will be a high proportion of people who are very quick to point fingers and demand things are done, yet look the other way when it comes to their own behaviour. Rules are for other people to know how to behave, I know how to behave so don't need to follow the rules attitude.

BunnyHugger

Unread post by BunnyHugger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 am

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

In another existing thread that was doing the rounds a while back, a lot of the 'mites, made a pledge to uphold the rules and regs of the reserve.

We cannot point fingers at others when we ourselves, are contravening the rules. That is too much like our current leaders and very hypocritical.

Just as a side issue, when we were in the Kruger a couple of years ago, some people asked about the yellow ribbon. They apparently, had no knowledge of the forum and as such didn't know what the yellow ribbon was all about.

It is vital that we lead by example.

On another forum that I subscribe to, they have the attitude of "name and shame". Photos are 1st prize. 2nd prize is knowing who the person is and naming them or getting their licence number and putting it up for all to see. This is related to issues of road safety. So maybe, we should consider that on this forum. It would not be intended as a personal attack on the person, but a strong reminder to all that there are eyes and ears out there.

Also, as members of this forum, we need to hold ourselves to a higher level of discipline, as should staff members.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am

Slightly off topic but I noticed in my recent trip that I received strange responses to my YR. On two occasions on the H3 at the lion sightings where people were about to climb out through their windows, they spotted my YR and immediately sunk back into their cars, muttered something and then all the other occupants having a look at me. :huh:

:twisted: :twisted:

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:54 am

Thinking on this, this goes further than a normal rule break. People can claim ignorance if they have not read the rules. This is a forum member who is expected to know the rules and thus even with knowing the rules CHOSE to deliberately break them. :naughty:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 am

Glen, we had a contractor behind us for quite a few kilometers from Phalaborwa in the direction of Letaba. It was totally obvious that if he hadn't spotted the YR he would have sped along...

So yes, the YR does have effect. 8)

As long as we set the example that is....
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 am

What about getting out to answer the call of nature!
going on previous threads I would say this is a fairly common practice. :tongue: not by me tho
Sometimes necessary but still breaking the rules?

I have also found that the yellow ribbon does often appear to get some sort of response, I think many are not to sure what it signifies so would rather not take the chance. :wink:
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

Walloceros

Unread post by Walloceros » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Forumites are (or at least should be) more clued up on conservation issues. That is why we are fighting for Mapungubwe, running petitions against speeding, having thread upon thread about breaking rules, bicycles in camps and LOTS of others.

Now I wonder, if we are not even succeeding in getting fellow forumites to obey the OFFICIAL rules, what chance do we stand with our efforts to educate the masses :huh: :huh: :huh:

Seems like an exercise in futility :wall: :wall: :wall:
Why are the animals always on the webcams when I'm not?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't think there are very many, certainly active forumites who break the rules, and I must admit when I first started going to Kruger I was really ignorant and did break a few but since joining the forum and becoming more knowledgeable I realised how foolish and dangerous that was.

So I don't think we need to despair Walloceros, the ones that do are far in the minority along with the other uninformed.
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:06 am

Perhaps I will display a yellow ribbon if it as reported previously possibly discourages rule infringement .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 am

On the YR: I was VERY CAREFUL to be mindful of the rules, or the very reason that I was sporting a YR and I didn't want to set a bad example.

I'm not sure if having a YR influenced the behavior of anybody else, but it had an effect on me. :)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Inyati

Friendliness?

Unread post by Inyati » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 pm

I have been catching up on some much needed time on the Sanparks site, and have unfortunately seen that the same ol' "issues" are still with us.... But that will always be I fear....

But I really do not wish to get into that for this thread... What I would like to know from those closer in the "know" is how goes it with the influx of international visitors? Are we being friendly? Are they managing with the rules etc? Are we getting good reports/ visits?

Let me know if you have encountered visiting folk who have been in the parks at the same time as you, and what your experience has been?

Ciao
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: SO HOW GOES IT THERE???

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi Inyati, great to see you back among us!
Talking about visitors response I can give you a first hand reply from my younger brother.

As an aircraft engineer he travelled to Joburg and Cape Town, his boss is a big industrialist here!, for the WC. Before he left Italy I tried explaining what SA was all about and the difference between SA and Kenya, where we are all born!. Difficult task indeed but gave him the basics about the country and today's realities.

Had dinner with him the other day and I must say he is totally taken over by the country. Surprise, enthusiasm are the main words he used and has already confirmed he is returning for his xmas holidays. The same reaction from his boss who is already organising a two week holiday for August.

Overall the impression is positive 100% and it makes me happy!
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

john n poppy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: SO HOW GOES IT THERE???

Unread post by john n poppy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:19 pm

As an international visitor I have always had superb interactions with the local SA's, they have always been very helpful and really eager too tell me about all their experiences and those days in Kruger long ago.
We once had a full slide show from a lovely couple in Mapungwabe, and another couple who after moving our tent over for them spent two days giving us our very own 4x4 tour of the park.

I am really looking forward to returning in a months time, and again camping, which is definitly where the friendliest people are.

john n kate
KTP August 2017..... my first visit :big_eyes:

Return to “Meets & Greets ”