Please fly Yellow Ribbon in Parks

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Please fly Yellow Ribbon in Parks

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Looking very smart, Mischief!

Unfortunately, the 4x4 mirror socks are not large enough for my bakkie' s huge mirrors, so I just tie a yellow ribbon on the mirror!
Skukuza 13 October 2017
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-24 Oct 2017

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.

Unread post by umtali1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:52 pm

Well, Inyanga 1, Inyanga30 and I have just spent 13 nights in the Kruger and didn't see one yellow ribbon :( . We were flying ours very proudly.

Will we see any in Marakele :hmz:
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:14 pm

umtali1 wrote:Well, Inyanga 1, Inyanga30 and I have just spent 13 nights in the Kruger and didn't see one yellow ribbon :( . We were flying ours very proudly.

I always have my ribbons on, and have only seen other yellow ribbons once in Kruger before!

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 pm

I always have mine on both mirrors and this year pretty big ones too but also only saw one other. When you do meet a fellow mite it is really special!
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

“Safari life makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne — bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive.”Karen Blixen

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by carolv » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I am shocked at the number of you regular visitors who have seen so few yellow ribbons in Kruger. We have been incredibly lucky over the years and met so many people because they were flying YRs. Truly I have lost count at the number of friendships made due to spotting ribbons...or even if we had ours on display and others had forgotten them. Several (now very good )friends were met when we shared a ribbon with them on first spotting each other in the Park. Lest we should miss anyone, we now have mirror socks on each side and a YR flying from the car aerial...well, we'd hate to miss seeing someone!! When we pack, the ribbons and socks are always at the top of the pile so that we can attach them as soon as we enter the Gate

And on that thought...we only have 2 months to wait for our next visit..not that we are counting or anything!!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 pm

I think I miss lots of YRs :redface: because I stare/am fascinated at what is left and right of me :D when exploring, but really enjoyed and treasure the meets/YRs I had when settled and back in camps or at picnic spots.
aquila non capit muscas

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:06 pm

I've just come back from Kruger, and apart from the Mites I had planned to meet up with (Ritad and SO) I only saw one other yellow ribbon and that driver waved madly but drove past so we had no idea who it was. A small grey car with a CA registration travelling north on the H1-4 between the S89 and Nogotso North waterhole at about 10 am on Saturday 30 September.

I did get several enthusiastic waves from people who could have been Forumites but there was no way of me recognising them without them having yellow ribbons too.

YRs are scarce these days.

I did see one lady frowning intently as she walked past my car at Tshokwane, looking at the driver's mirror decoration. :D

Juan

Unread post by Juan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:45 am

chirinda wrote:I've just come back from Kruger, and apart from the Mites I had planned to meet up with (Ritad and SO) I only saw one other yellow ribbon and that driver waved madly but drove past so we had no idea who it was. A small grey car with a CA registration travelling north on the H1-4 between the S89 and Nogotso North waterhole at about 10 am on Saturday 30 September.

I did get several enthusiastic waves from people who could have been Forumites but there was no way of me recognising them without them having yellow ribbons too.

YRs are scarce these days.

I did see one lady frowning intently as she walked past my car at Tshokwane, looking at the driver's mirror decoration. :D

Hello!

I am not sure if it was me Chirinda!. I travelled that road with a small grey/golden car (a Polo) with my yellow scarf in the driver mirror. I am not sure if it was you but I recall waving to 2 cars together with the first one with a yellow and an orange? ribbon. I think they slowed down a bit but I was not sure if they were stoping for me so I doubted and went on.... Sorry if you were waiting for me! :doh:

I met in this trip a woman called Nkulu and it was nice to say hello to her in the south of the park.

Apart form those two "sightings" of yellow ribbons I didn't see more in 3 weeks in the park! so i think they could become the new Big 6 specimen.

Regarding waving, I did an experiment:

- When I waved first to the cars (most of the times I found a car, even if it was near Satara or Lower Sabie), around 80% I got a wave back and a nice smile from the other car
- One day I was very tired and decided to see if any people waved at me first. I found that around 20% did it and I replied back. As I saw some nice people waving, honestly I started to wave again at first sight of a car :o

So overall, I would say it is nice if you proactively wave firs you will get a good response ratio and will have some fun seeing the variations of greetings (2 fingers, 1 finger, whole hand, waving, smile,....).

I will try to write a small summary of my trip in the diary section although I will not follow an organised day to day summary. Overall, I had a great experience travelling solo in the park :dance: and was able to experience a lot of things during 3 wilderness trails and many hours of car drives

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.

Unread post by umtali1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:48 am

umtali1 wrote:Well, Inyanga 1, Inyanga30 and I have just spent 13 nights in the Kruger and didn't see one yellow ribbon :( . We were flying ours very proudly.

The answer is NO :(
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Hello Juan, :dance: :dance:

Two white cars together, both with yellow ribbons, and I also had my red ribbon which is the Forum Bird Club. It must have been us. I did slow down hoping you would too, but never mind. I like to greet people who are Forumites and find out who it is that I am waving to.

The second car was Ritad and her SO visiting from Austria.

I'm glad you met Nkulu too, she's very friendly. :D

I also did quite a bit of greeting oncoming traffic with a wave, and found that people were much more friendly this trip than I have noticed before. When I was little everyone greeted oncoming traffic, but in those days there was much less traffic on the roads, both on the open road and in parks.

Please do a travel tale, even if it is a short one, with pics if possible, it is always great to remember, and to share your memories with like-minded folk. I shall look out for it. Travelling solo works for me too, even if it means changing a flat wheel myself. I met up with Rita and Stephan for just a couple of days.

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am

Hello Juan :yaya: :yaya:
It was lovely meeting you, and a short trip report will be very welcome.
The secret of happiness is to count your blessings, while others are adding up their troubles

Tamboti 20-25 September 2017

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

In Kruger currently, with our YR and have seen another 4 YR. One was Ritad's, one Hippotragus, and one on a white car being driven by a man (YR and red) which we waived madly to yesterday, but he was looking deeply into the bush as we passed near Skukuza; and one at Renosterkoppies waterhole yesterday arriving on the other side of the crowd at the lion sighting as we were leaving.
- Dalene

Return to “Meets & Greets ”