Skip to Content

Scorpions

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks
Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Scorpion, Transvaal Thick Tailed

Unread post by Batmad » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 am

Whilst in Letaba rest camp doing some work on bats at the beginning of the year I encountered this fella, Parabuthus transvaalicus, an awesome specimen and I was beyond privileged to have spent time admiring it!

For those of you who do not know, this species, and in fact all the other species in this family, are considered medically important and one should seek medical attention immediately if stung. One should also be careful of getting too close to some of the individuals in this family as they are said to be able to spray their venom a short distance however I have never personally had the privilege of seeing this.

Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Scorpion, Transvaal Thick Tailed

Unread post by PNF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 am

Ah! yes! We found one of these in our chalet in Shingwedzi last November....... in the bedding :shock:
Fortunately neither of us were stung and, having reported it to the camp manager, it was removed and deposited back into the veldt. It had apparently made a nest(?) in the base of the bed underneath the mattress and could have been there for some time.
Would not recommend walking barefoot when these are around.........
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Scorpions

Unread post by Yoda » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:25 pm

So I bought myself a UV torch.

Searched the ground and trees thoroughly in the camps we stayed in: Skukuza and Satara yielded nothing.

But there were loads of these in the trees at Lower Sabie.
Mostly in small holes or under bark, but this one came out and was walking along a branch.

Using a normal torch.

Under the UV torch.

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 am

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote::big_eyes: That is one massive scorpion :clap: ...Yoda.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Thanks.
Yup, it was about 10cm or so.

Does anyone know what species it is?
I have Jonathan Leeming's book, but can't quite seem to match it up.

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Any takers on identifying this critter? Looks like it could be a juvenile parabuthus Transvaalicus? Saw two of them in Shingwezi around the braai last week - probably about 2 inches pincers to tail, so small in size. Had a confirmed sighting of a large parabuthus Transvaalicus last month, also in Shingwezi, but this one is much smaller and far lighter in colour.
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

kssager

Unread post by kssager » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 am

I am coming to Kruger for the first full week in August. Trying to see as much wildlife as possible, and this includes the little ones as well. Definitely would like to see a scorpion. However, I know it will be winter there. What are the chances that I would be able to see scorpion in August? 3 nights croc bridge, 3 nights Tamboti. Was going to purchase a UV flashlight, but may hold off if no chance in seeing one. Thanks in advance for any help.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 am

Hi Kssager,

You get relatively cheap UV flash lights (priced around R100) if you want to go scorpion hunting, although they are less active in wintertime during the really cold nights.

Please just ensure that you don't lift rocks while you are scorpion hunting as you might discover something bigger than a scorpion and that will liven things up a bit :lol:

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:37 pm

I bought a cheap UV light off the internet (Ebay).
Was about £5. (R95)
I saw Scorpions regularly at Lower Sabie.
But despite extensive searching, did not see them at Skukuza or Satara.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:14 am

Snoobab wrote:Need some advice. I really enjoy scorpion searching at night with my UV lights but there has to be a trick. Last year the first week in October we were in Satara camp and almost every tree I shone my light there was a scorpion. In November I was in Punda and I looked everywhere and did not see one scorpion. This year first week October we were in Skukuza first and then Croc Bridge and once again no Scorpions at all. Is there a certain climate or temperate or what is the trick? I'm back in Punda on 19-22 Nov and would love to see some there.
Thanks

Hi Snoobab,

WHEN

1. The best times to "hunt" seem to be 1-2 hours after dark. Early morning before sunrise is good too.
2. Just after it rains (at night) is an ideal time to hunt. As the rain flushes out scorpions.
3. New moon or cloudy nights are better.

WHERE

1. Strangely enough, on sides of trees that does not face the setting sun, so, look on the east side
2. Between leaf litter
3. Cracks and rocks... but obviously there might be other types of slithering crawlies hidden.

I hope you come right as this usually works for me.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Snoobab wrote:Thanks George_Brits

I will certainly put it to practice in Nov.

You're most welcome! I hope you have a fantastic trip. As you are aware, there is about 20 different species of scorpion recorded in the Kruger National Park, and the rarest is the Uroplectes chubbi. Look for the dark hands on the pincers, and lots of little dimples on the ventral and lateral surfaces of its tail segments.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm

In 40 years of visiting SA (much of it in KNP) I have never ever seen a scorpion(which suits me!!!)
Maybe I am just not very observant!!! :doh:

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:35 pm

This one is for all the ‘gogga’ Geeks out there.

On 2 March 2016 walking along the Letaba River Camp Fence with our spot light, I nearly doubled over when I go stung by a very innocent, very non venomous tiny scorpion. Trust me I thought it was the end of me.......non-stop pain. The Camp Manager on Duty was called, and after a few allergy pills mixed with some pain pills, and a few glasses of something soothing and strong it was safe to say I was rattled but okay, (and now my ‘slops’ are retired permanently from Kruger Vacations).
This incident was needless to say a highlight to some extend and we became more aware of the other residents in the camps

On 5 March 2016 late the night we met a nice man at Balule strolling around camp with his purple light and after I told him about my encounter he educated us on the various scorpions and sniffled out a more poisonous chap much to our delight. And here some photos to share with my fellow mites.

I forgot the name of this particular species and besides all I remember when I look at it is to WEAR CLOSED SHOES

And this is the chap that you do not want a sting from
Attachments
Balule Scorpion3.JPG
Scorpion calmly removed away from people, just in case..........
Balule Scorpion2.JPG
Scorpion in UV Light
Balule Scorpion1.JPG
Scorpion on the move amongst people
Last edited by RemiE on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:47 pm

Stunning photos RemiE :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad it was only a small non toxic one that stung you!! :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks for these photos Remi. :thumbs_up: Dave is very lax in wearing closed shoes at night and always says that they are too hot. It worries me because I had a scorpion run across the hut steps at Letaba years ago.

I am definitely showing him this!! :lol:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: The Different Faces of Cape Point
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Lion Queen, as always Kruger taught me yet another lesson and showed us something completely different than that on our tick list. Of course SO couldn't stop laughing at me being stung due to my own ignorance. Thankfully it was a innocent one, dint feel like it at the time though.

TessaG better advice Dave to opt for closed shoes instead. Even the innocent non lethal okes punch a seriously painful sting. Sherry is of little comfort afterwards. Letaba is apparently known for its shocking incidents .

That said, it was an absolute stunning experience being able to take photographs of the not so friendly feared scorpion. Gotta love Kruger and her surprises.
Glad you all enjoyed the photos
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Return to “Insects and other invertebrates”