Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DesiTraveller

Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Unread post by DesiTraveller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks Helol. That gives me hope :gflower:

jimmac

Unread post by jimmac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 am

We have 9 nights booked in Kruger later this month and into the first few days of November. This will be our second visit staying in the rest camps. Our first was wonderful. Before that we had stayed in private lodges in the reserves that adjoin Kruger.

I would be grateful if board members could provide us with contacts in each the rest camps where we will stay whom we can e-mail to ask for specific bungalows. And, of course, we would also be grateful for advice on which bungalows to request for best views, etc.

We are booked for a BD2V bungalow at Olifants. Which bungalow in that category has the best view? Is there a contact with e-mail address we can write to request a specific bungalow?

We are also booked in a BD2V bungalow at Satara. Can some-one provide a contact at Satara and advice on the best bungalow in that category?

And, we are booked in a BD2U bungalow at Lower Sabie. Same questions. Contact e-mail? Best bungalow number?

We look forward to advice from knowledgeable board members and to a great safari through Kruger.

Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:39 am

HI jimmac and a very warm welcome to the Forum :gflower:
The V at the end of your accommodation code indicates that the bungalow has a view.
I cannot talk for Olifants and Lower Sabie but in Satara you have to try and get a bungalow in the G Row.These are perimeter huts and have a view right onto the front fence of the camp. The numbers range from G 169 to G 179. Any of those bungalows would be so worthwhile staying in.
In Olifants and Lower Sabie I am assuming that both bungalows also have River views as well.

The best way of securing specific accommodation is to send an email to the duty manager/s at the Camp itself stating your Reservation Number and then making your request.
Here is a link to find the email addresses

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/c ... p-tel.php#

You can also browse through this link to give you some idea of the different types of accommodation on the maps of the camps.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=86508#p2253906

I do hope this has been of some help and I would advise to get your emails there soonest.
Do have a terrific time in the Kruger and please let us know all about your trip in a Travel Take when you return.

Enjoy,enjoy,enjoy!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 am

A very warm welcome to the forum

As Mischief said you can find the addresses on the link above. Just email them and ask for your requested unit. You can see some tips on the Best units thread

I can give you some advice on the best units we've been staying in. In Satara it was number 167. Very close to the fence and pretty private. See some of my photos HERE in the accommodation photos thread.

In Olifants you can try for number 116 or 117. I've got pictures of those two HERE and HERE

In lower Sabie you can try number 71, 81 or 91. They all have river views but you can see some picturesHERE, HERE and HERE It depends on what kind of view you like.

Hope this helps. When will you be where in Kruger? We will be in Kruger at the end of October and beginning of November as well. We will be in Lower Sabie on the 23rd as well as the 1st and 2nd of November and then in camps inbetween there and Mopani. You will see my Yellow Ribbon tied around my cars mirror at the drivers side of the car. (the forum members can recognize each other by this yellow ribbons :wink: ) Read more about the Yellow ribbons on THIS PAGE if you are interested.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy
All on my lonesome ownsome in Kruger

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello all, I have a few questions regarding my Nov trip.

1. For Roaneric and Michief - Could I just clarify that number 167 bungalow at Satara is in a good spot on the perimiter? I ask because I'm a little confused.

Mischief mentions that "The numbers range from G 169 to G 179. Any of those bungalows would be so worthwhile staying in" and then Roaneric goes on to say "Satara it was number 167. Very close to the fence and pretty private". .I presume this is in addition to the 169-179 range....? Thanks!

2. For everyone: I have 4 day in Satara in November, and was originally booked in a BG2 for all 4 nights. However, a BD2V came available for 2 of those 4 nights, so I grabbed it! How is the transition from one chalet to another in the same camp? Do I need to take all my stuff out with me, and then not check in until after 1400 (or whatever the standard check in time is), or if available, can I move earlier in the morning (for example, if I return for breakfast after an early morning drive).

Many thanks :thumbs_up:

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Helol

Number 167 is indeed a BD2V. I stayed there a few months ago and you can also see on the the map that all those perimeter units are BD2V now :thumbs_up: AND I LOVED THAT ONE... You can watch this video I took from the veranda in my All on my lonesome ownsome in Kruger Trip report

Unfortunately you will have to leave with all your stuff when you change accommodations. Maybe if you are in luck you will be able to drop of you stuff (just ask at the reception) but we have done this a couple of times and they normally say no, as it has to be cleaned first. So we normally go for a drive early morning, then return, pack up our staff at about 10:00, drive around till about 13:00 and then drop it off in the new accommodation.

Enjoy, when will you be there? Have fun with the preparations

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:05 pm

167 would certainly be one of the bungalows close to the perimeter fence.

With regards moving between bungalows in the camp.
You will need to move all your things out/vacate by 10am and unless the bungalow you will be moving to is ready beforehand, not be able to move in till 2pm.
Speak to reception and they do often try their best to get the room ready asap but its not guaranteed.

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks both. I thought as much conerning the transfer of chalets. It's no problem, I'll just take my stuff with me.

Well, it looks like I will be emailing Satara with a request for nr 167! I am in Kruger from 10, departing for Swaziland on the 20th Nov. Then back again in June next year.

:D

kahtrav

Unread post by kahtrav » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Finally had a chance to check out the Rest Camp maps - great resources - thanks. I have two questions:

Re: Skukuza I have booked a LR2E Riverside Bungalow, but I'm wondering if a LR2W would be better (looks like the LR2E (206 - 208) bungalows are tucked in behind the Monis Guesthouse and the museum). Right now LR2E are totally booked that week (including the one we have - only three bungalows), but might be able to get a LR2W if I watch - our first date isn't available at the moment). It sounded like these would be good options when reading descriptions (and you pay a bit more), but they don't look that great on the map. Anyone out there stayed in these?

Also, we won't be there until the beginning of May, 2018, so it will be awhile yet. How far out should we send email requests for specific bungalows? It's seems too early right now. Any thoughts?

This forum has been a wealth of information for this first-time Kruger visitor - so helpful. Thanks

Kahtrav
Colorado, USA

jimmac

Unread post by jimmac » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks, Mischief and roaneric for your great advice and information. My e-mails to each park have been sent so I hope we secure the best bungalows. Your advice is much appreciated. I will try to post a review after our visits.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 pm

kahrtav, have you had a look at the photos in the Accommodation Photos Topic
You might be able to get some sort of insight into what they entail and look like.

Also have a read through the Skukuza Camp

Basically once you are sure of the type of accommodation you want you can send in a request for a specific number.

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi kahtrav

I haven't been staying in any of those riverside bungalows before so I can not say which are the best, but I took some pictures of some of them, maybe it will give you an idea. If I remember correctly, there is NO guesthouse in front of those LR2E units . They are to the right of them, so it will not block your view. Here you can see all the pictures in the Accommodation photos thread if you want to have fun before your trip...
HERE you can see number 206 and HERE you can see the view from the bungalows just behind so you can get the idea.

For pics of the LR2W look at the accommodation thread. (I will be in skukuza in 3 weeks time, so if you can wait till then I can also get you some extra pictures of number 206-208.

Normally they say only email them a few weeks before you visit the park, but I understood that lots of people start very early and by the time I try to secure a spesific unit, I'm too late already. Maybe some of the other folks can tell you how long before hand they send out the emails.

Enjoy planning your holiday and have fun

(ps... I see your are from Colorado, we were there just 2 months ago...beautiful) :wink:

DesiTraveller

Unread post by DesiTraveller » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Helol and Elsa:

Just to let you know that after checking the booking site everyday I was able to get the same units for three of my four units for two consecutive days. I only need to take care of one remaining unit. Thanks for giving me the hope . :gflower:

However, I am still unable to figure out the locations of the BD2EC units inside Satara.

Regards
DesiTraveller

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Great that you are starting to pick up the bungalows you require Desi! :clap:

I can only assume the BD2EC are one of the newly upgraded units and I will try and find the location out for you.

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm

DesiTraveller wrote:Hi Helol and Elsa:

However, I am still unable to figure out the locations of the BD2EC units inside Satara.

Regards
DesiTraveller

If Elsa can't get an answer of the whereabouts of this unit, I will try to find out and take a pic for you when we will be there in 3 weeks.

Return to “Kruger National Park”