Tonog

Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Unread postby Tonog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks Elsa! :)

Snowgirl

Unread postby Snowgirl » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Hello

New to the forum so apologies for any daft questions. We are planning to come to South Africa in October and would like to spend 3 - 4 nights in KNP (I know, not enough!). Could you recommend which camps would be best for a children (a 4 year old) - maybe ones with a pool? We'll also be travelling with my Dad who's in his mid-seventies, he's fit and active but used to rather nice hotels so any recommendations on which accommodation might be best would be great.

Thanks

Snowgirl

Unread postby Snowgirl » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 pm

In my post above I forgot to say that we'd be coming from/going back to White River, so entering/exiting from Numbi gate or Phobeni gate, I think.

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 am

Hi Snowgirl,
You may find you are limited by availability.

For any of the camps, choose accommodation with private ablutions. Avoid ones with communal ablutions if your Dad struggles with it. I would recommend the family accommodation at most camps. Have a look at the camp maps to see layout and accommodation codes. Look at accommodation availability it will give a description of the accommodation types.

Pretoriuskop - closest camp to White River. Has a Wimpy, shop and a lovely pool. Lovely atmosphere but game viewing can be hit or miss, although this year may be better as I think this area has had the most rain (maybe someone can confirm this)

Skukuza - biggest camp in the park. Wide range of accommodation types. Pool/s. Cattlebarron steakhouse, good shop, lovely river views especially if you can get the river facing accommodation. Game viewing is usually good and you have a range of drives you can easily take from camp.

Lower Sabie - Very popular camp, Mugg & Bean restaurant, shop, pool (I think - haven't stayed there for a while). You may struggle to find good accommodation because of the camp's popularity.

Berg-en-Dal - restaurant, shop, lovely pool area, dam overlook in camp, small rhino museum, nice accommodation, game viewing can be good.

I would suggest that you look at the camp layouts, choose which type of accommodation at each camp you would prefer, and then see what is available. I would stick to one, at most two, camps.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:34 am

cheetahlady has given a really good summary of the camps that are probably the most suitable.

I would suggest that you stay in one camp, as packing frequently with a young child and an elderly father poses extra stress.

Skukuza is possibly the camp that I would most recommend. It has a really wide range of drives and the best possibilities for children. If you can get a bungalow close to the river, it would be very special for your father. It has beautiful and well tended gardens, lovely for walking and stretching little legs.

There is a choice of two swimming pools and the resident vervets, banded mongoose and warthog are likely to amuse your daughter.

There are a number of restaurants and I suggest a drive out to Lower Sabie for a brunch on their viewing deck. The Mugg and Bean is highly recommended.

Areas of interest in and close to Skukuza are the Library, Museum. The Nursery (recently visited and highly recommended.) The pet cemetery is a poignant reminder of the lives of the rangers and their four legged companions. The Golf Club is also a place to relax with a meal and view something different.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 am

Warm welcome Snowgirl, :clap:

I see cheetahlady and MM have both given you excellent advice and info which should help you make a decision on where to stay.
You can check the Availability to see what you can book and a description of the accommodation.
Another useful topic to have a look through will be the Index to Accommodation Photos in Kruger
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Return to “Kruger National Park”