Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

We did that route - N1 and across to (Polokwane/Pietersburg - Tzaneen) Phalaborwa, earlier this year, and it is totally fine, roads are good all the way. Just found the drivers on the last 100km drive fast and take risks, so give yourself time not to have to rush and be under pressure.

You will then need to go to Olifants to check in, so add that time in too, before gate closing, so you are well paced :thumbs_up:

Unless someone has used the Orpen entrance and can assist you on that.
Sawubona
Dalene

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:34 pm

I wouldn't go the R40/R531 route.

I don't know what kind of bottleneck you would get in Joburg but my preference would be stick with the N1 to Polokwane and go in via Phalaborwa. Otherwise the N12/N4/Dullstroom/Orpen route isn't too bad - just be watchful around Lydenburg.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Road to Pafuri Gate

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 pm

We are planning to enter Kruger via Pafuri Gate on Friday. Anyone out there who drove that road recently? What is the condition of that road?
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Road to Pafuri Gate

Unread post by arks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:40 pm

I drove that road in late April, BB, and it was fine. Just very few sightings, but the road condition was no problem.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shidzidzii » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 am

There is a short deviation at Masisi (27km from Pafuri gate) around the washed away bridge.
It is well worn so easy to follow although signposting is " irregular". I have done it in darkness very early morning, and also with a caravan. Also went with 4x4 into the river bed crossing below the bridge.
If you are coming from Mapungubwe on the R527 Pontdrif road about 11 km before Messina there is a "German Farm Butchery" on the south side in at the same gate as Limpopo Safaris for about 500meter. They have a website but I recommend them. Do yourself a favour and buy some game biltong and dry wors at bargain price. Game meat etc. too - I fill my deep freeze in caravan and home with it all.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 am

Thank you, Shidzidzii! A man/woman from Tshipise should know... :D That bridge has been washed away for years now! :doh: I think it happened with the floods of early 2013, if I remeber correctly. :hmz: It is a pity they have not repaired it yet... :roll: But we have driven the detour through the village there. Poor signposting, as you said, but I can imagine by now that road should be worn. We also found the locals very helpful last time we passed through. Really appreciate your help - and advice on the biltong! :wink:
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani

camken

Unread post by camken » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 am

Good morning
I've read this whole thread but I can't see any info on the route from Joburg to Croc Bridge. I've been very lucky and we usually fly to KMIA or Skukuza, but this time we will be driving from OR Tambo.
I've driven to Malelane before (about 6 years ago!), and from the map it looks like the N4 goes straight through Malelane town and carries on until you turn off to Croc Bridge, is this correct? Does the route take us straight through Malelane town where we can do some shopping?

Also I remember when we drove to Malelane many years ago, we used a very nice post on the forum with directions straight from the car rental garage at OR Tambo, can someone point me in the direction of the very useful post?

Thanks for your help

Horrace

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by Horrace » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi camken, you are correct. The route passes through Malelane town, then one gets Malelane gate, Hectorspruit and if one continues down the N4, you will come to Komatipoort, which is the town just outside Croc Bridge

Komatipoort also has quite a large Spar in town. Most people don't go all the way into Komatipoort, but rather take a detour well sign posted before town which by-passes the town and brings one out just before Croc Bridge gate (other mites can correct me but I think it's around 2kms)

On the whole, it's an easy journey and quite difficult to get lost...

Horrace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camken

Unread post by camken » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks Horrace :D

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Currently in paradise... Sitting on my stoep at Shingwedzi, listening to the Scops Owls calling. 8)

Unfortunately we are leaving again Sunday morning. Thinking of leaving via Punda gate. Should we go via Louis Trichardt or via Giyani? Anybody drove these recently? An answer before Sunday would be greatly appreciated! :wink:
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani

bushguy

Unread post by bushguy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:48 pm

done both in the last year - via Giyani is ok, but you need to be very careful of people , cattle, goats, taxis etc. Not too bad in good weather and in the light. The other way has the washed out bridge, but unless you are in a very low vehicle its not a problem. I would probably do the Louis Trichart route.

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

garrow

Road condition to Orpen

Unread post by garrow » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:14 pm

I would appreciate it if anyone who has traveled to Satara recently on the Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg-Origstad-Strydom Tunnel-Orpen road can advise me if the road is riddled with potholes or if maintenance has been done recently on this road to repair the potholes. I am going in 10 days time so would appreciate this info so that I can plan my route.

Thanks.

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Road condition to Orpen

Unread post by Shidzidzii » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:52 pm

I used the road on 2nd August to go to Randburg and then back again on the 3rd after voting.
No major problems maybe an odd small pothole. Can do 100km/hour safely with any vehicle - average speed a little lower. Watch out in towns for speed traps, especialy Lydenburg.
What is nice is that there is very low density of traffic. And Lydenburg had diesel notwithstanding the strike to top-up both ways. Here in Hoedspruit there was also no shortage.

Return to “Kruger National Park”