carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by carolv » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi pirlet

Sorry I cannot assist with question 1 but with regard to question 2:-

The easiest route from Skukuza would be to exit via Phabeni Gate, and go to Hazyview. At the main crossroads in town, turn right, and a couple of Kms later take the left turn to Graskop. Watch your speed careful as there are very regular speed traps along this section. The road then goes through Graskop and follow the signs for the Blyde Canyon. Each attraction then has a short road down to it eg God's Window, Berlin Falls, Lisbon Falls, Bourkes Potholes, Three Rondavels etc. The road then continues until a junction with the Lydenburg (Mashishing) - Tzaneen road, turn left and continue down to Lydenburg, Dullstroom, Belfast and then join the N4?12 back to Jo'burg. However, when we did the road from Hazyview/Graskop/Rondavels/ Dullstroom/Belfast in early March 2017 the potholes were truly awful. Some were so bad, if you did not drive slowly enough to spot them ahead, I suspect you could 'lose' a small car in them. They were the worst we have ever seen in South Africa. I'm not sure if you have a time when you must get back to Jo'burg (a flight from Tambo maybe?) then I think you would need to think seriously whether you will have enough time to drive this route. See what other people think as well. When we did the Canyon drive, we were actually staying in Hazyview and only had to return to Hazyview - the drive took all day with the stops at the various sites.
My Trip Report for Dec 2015 and Jan 2016:
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=91702

Return to “Kruger National Park”