Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
zeelie

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by zeelie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:41 am

How is the road from hazyview to orpen via bosbokrand?

Is it safe to drive? State of road?

thank you
Biyamiti 9 - 14 May

elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco » Mon May 02, 2016 1:58 pm

quite good actually.
I drove it last Friday, quite a lot of walking people so you need to be careful but the road itself is fine
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

Dibles
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dibles » Fri May 27, 2016 10:26 am

I am going to be driving from Pretoria to Pretoriuskop tomorrow. Which is the best route/gate to use? I recall there being some issues with Numbi gate in the past.

Gilbertr14

Unread post by Gilbertr14 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:42 pm

I would pop in at malelane gate, to go to Pretoriuskop

Henster

Unread post by Henster » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Has anyone recently driven the R36 from Lydenburg to Phalaborwa going through Ohrigstad and can comment on the condition of the road?

Apreciate your feedback.

Only 8 more (way too long) days to go!

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Drove the road on the 2nd of June (Thursday) going from Orpen down to Belfast, so I can comment on that section. The road is fine (even very good) until you get to about 20 km from Lydenburg (from the Ohrigstad side). Coincidentally (or not?) this is the point where one goes from Limpopo intto Mpumalanga. Anyhow, the road is fine, except for the first 20 km from Lydenburg towards Ohrigstad. Just take care there and watch for potholes (observe the speed-limit!).
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:57 pm

The SO is driving to Letaba via Pretoria, Tzaneen tomorrow. Is this the best way and is there anything he should be looking out for?
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:11 pm

We came back from Letaba last Monday. Very easy trip - Phalaborwa, Tzaneen, Polokwane (by-pass), Pretoria. Long trip, but very easy. No roadworks or any other problems.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:37 am

Hippotragus wrote:We came back from Letaba last Monday. Very easy trip - Phalaborwa, Tzaneen, Polokwane (by-pass), Pretoria. Long trip, but very easy. No roadworks or any other problems.
:(

Thanks!
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

ngiri67

Unread post by ngiri67 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Driving from Pretoria to Satara next week 15 June 2016 with our 4 month old, so the fewer stoppages the better.
Is it better to go via Polokwane and in Phalaborwa, or via Mbombela and in Phabeni?

Are there protests or roadworks on any of these routes at the moment?
Kruger
Satara - 15 to 19 June 2016

travel06

Unread post by travel06 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 pm

We are travelling next week from 1.Sun City to Pretoriuskop and then the following week from 2. Pretoriuskop to Durban.

Regarding 1.: I assume that we just go along the N4/R539/N4 to the Park. Is that right? I saw somebody mentioning that it is better to go in via Malelane Gate rather than Numbi Gate. According to Google Map that would add another hour. Please, any comments on that?

Regarding 2.: Some people/route planner seem to recommend N4/R36 via Carolina/N11/N3 and other route planner recommend going south from Nespruit and then via R33 and the R34 to R66 and the N2 to Durban. Any comments on which would be quicker (it doesn't have to be scenic)?

Thanks for your help in advance

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:58 pm

travel06 wrote:We are travelling next week from 1.Sun City to Pretoriuskop and then the following week from 2. Pretoriuskop to Durban.

Regarding 1.: I assume that we just go along the N4/R539/N4 to the Park. Is that right? I saw somebody mentioning that it is better to go in via Malelane Gate rather than Numbi Gate. According to Google Map that would add another hour. Please, any comments on that?

Depending on what time you will arrive at the park; if you go in at Malelane Gate, will you have enough time before gate closes to get to P/kop camp. Pafuri gate is preferable to Numbi if you have to enter the park in that area due to time constraints.

I always prefer to stick to the highway and do more time/distance in the park - so would enter at Malelane gate.
Sawubona
Dalene

PHVDM

Unread post by PHVDM » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:55 pm

ngiri67 wrote:Driving from Pretoria to Satara next week 15 June 2016 with our 4 month old, so the fewer stoppages the better.
Is it better to go via Polokwane and in Phalaborwa, or via Mbombela and in Phabeni?

Are there protests or roadworks on any of these routes at the moment?

It would be better to take the N4 to Nelspruit, and proceed with the R40 towards Hazyview and then Phabeni Gate. I wouldn't recommend going in at Phalaborwa gate and taking the H9 to Letaba, and then the H1-4/5. That area is quite dry, and not rich in game. I would go in at Phabeni and take the S1 towards Skukuza and then the H1-2/3 to Satara. Much better sightings. You can also take the N4 to Nelspruit, the R40 past Hazyview and Bushbuckridge to Klasserie. You can then enter through Orpen gate. I would not recommend this route, because of Bushbuckridge. Its a place one should avoid. I think your best option is N4 to Nelspruit, R40 to Hazyview and enter at Phabeni. Avoid the R538 to Hazyview, a lot of roadworks and townships.
15/04 Crocodile bridge
16/04 Berg en Dal
29/06 Olifants
30/06 Shingwedzi

chirinda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Ngiri67, I did the N4 then turn off at Belfast-Lydenburg (Mashishing)-Orighstad-Hoedspruit and then south on the R40 to the Orpen gate turnoff. You can also cut off Hoedspruit by taking the R531 to the Orpen turnoff. The road was mostly good in Feb and I've seen others more recently saying it's still mostly good. Pretty scenery down the escarpment after Orighstad. I would go that way again.

It would probably be quicker than the slow driving you would have up through the park if you go in further south.

Hope you have a great trip.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:30 am

Will be travelling to the North of KNP in a month's time. We are planning to enter the park through Pafuri Gate, and probably exit via Punda Maria Gate. Anybody who took those roads recently? Any advice?

Thanks! :thumbs_up:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-31 July 2016 - Shingwedzi

Return to “Kruger National Park”