Skip to Content

Letaba Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
granny

Re: Letaba Rest Camp

Unread post by granny » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 am

Moira de Swardt wrote:I have booked for Letaba over Christmas. I am somewhat more disabled than when I was last on the forum and for the first time am booking disabled access accommodation. I am not yet (and hopefully will not be) in a wheelchair, but walking is slow and painful and I need a secure stick to maintain my balance especially on uneven ground and where there is no hand rail.

Can anyone tell me what the 2 person easy access tent is like in terms of getting in and out and proximity to the bathroom? I can see from the camp map that these tents are not tents with a view but that really is secondary to access at this stage.

Moira why don't you change your booking to a 4 sleeper tent. If you book number 8, which is a disabled unit, the bathrooms are right behind the tent. You will also be right on the fence. I stayed in number 7 a few weeks ago and loved it.

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:59 am

tent dweller wrote:Moira, I cannot advise you on a 2 sleeper but I know that tents number 4,5, 6,7,8 (all 4 sleepers) are very close to an ablution block and also on the fence.

8 has a ramp and the rest have steps, depending on yourself which would would be easier. The bathrooms as stated are just behind them where if I recall correctly the 2 bed are a little further from the bathrooms.

lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lemonbalm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 am

The Ablutions for the CTT2 tents did not appear to be set up for accesabilty - no grab rails anywhere and standard narrow toilet and shower cubicles. Unless the CTT2Z has its own bathroom?
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." ~ E. B. White

lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lemonbalm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:14 am

P.S. Unless there is another ablution block I didn't see 2 weeks ago, number 20 would be furthest from the tents ablution block. You would probably do better then to drive to the camping ablutions which did at least have a toilet with grab rails etc.
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." ~ E. B. White

GinaMcAdam

Photos Of Safari Tent Numbers 5 & 6 At Letaba - CTT4

Unread post by GinaMcAdam » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Does anyone have photos of Safari Tent numbers 5 & 6 at Letaba and views from the tents?
Twee Rivieren -24th September, 2016.
Nossob -25th to 28th, September, 2016.
Kalahari Tented Camp - 29th September, 2016 to 3rd October, 2016.
Twee Rivieren - 4th October, 2016.

DinkyBird

Re: PHOTOS OF SAFARI TENT NUMBERS 5 & 6 AT LETABA - CTT4

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Someone might be able to help you here, but I do know tent 6 - it has a super view onto the fence.
Sawubona
Dalene

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: PHOTOS OF SAFARI TENT NUMBERS 5 & 6 AT LETABA - CTT4

Unread post by tent dweller » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 pm

GinaMcAdam, We stayed in tent number 4 in December 2013. right on the fence and so is 5, 6 , 7 and 8. We had hyenas "visiting" every night, tame bushbuck grazing outside our tent every day/night, bird life is amazing in the very early morning and also just as the sun is starting to set. The ablutions/kitchen are a hop, skip and a jump away from the tents. We had such a good experience at Letaba that we are returning for Christmas 2014.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Elsa

Re: Photos Of Safari Tent Numbers 5 & 6 At Letaba - CTT4

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Gina, altho not pics of #'s 5 or 6 there are some pics of the other tents at Letaba you might like to have a look at Here

Moira de Swardt

Unread post by Moira de Swardt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice. I did specify that I was mobility impaired when I booked. The person wouldn't tell me what number unit was assigned. I can use either stairs if there is a hand rail and they are not too steep or a ramp if there is a hand rail. I do battle to walk even short distances though.

I feel mean about taking a four bed unit when I will be alone, especially in peak season.
I don't get to the Parks nearly often enough, despite two trips to the KNP and one to Golden Gate this year.

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Toddelelfe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Porridge wrote:4 weeks for us (+/-) to Letaba. Bushbuck grazing around us in camp, squirrels hurtling about on there urgent missions, vervet monkeys destroying the peace, ahhhhhhhhhhhh bring it on!!

Letaba also has the Engelhard Dam just across the river which is huge and always guaranteed to produce excellent water orientated sightings (ducks, hippos, crocs, terrapins, you name it). Our best sightings of klipspringers ever were literally JUST outside the hide.

I'm not selling Olifants short as it has the most astonishing view, but I just prefer further north even if it is only by a little bit :)

:thumbs_up:
:dance: Plane is booked, KNP, i am on a mission :doh:
+/- 24.11.-03.12.2016
:lol: 8) :cam:
3 :lol: Nights Pretoriuskop, 3 Nights Napi Trail (i am so excited!). 1 Night Lower Sabie, 2 Nights Biyamiti
2014 TR from KNP

JimS

Re: Letaba Rest Camp Accessible Accommodation

Unread post by JimS » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:52 am

The best place to research the Accessible Accommodation is on the website www.disabledtravel.co.za.

This website shows only Accessible Accommodation with photographs and measurements of both bathroom and bedroom. To search for Kruger National Park click on either Mpumalanga for the south of the park as far north as Satara, to search of accessible accommodation north of Satara click on Limpopo. Not all Accessible units are shown on the site but very many are shown.

The website is run by a volunteer who receives photographs and measurement from other volunteers. There is no charge for the use of the website and it is approved by SanParks.

Other National Parks are also on the website, again search by Province to find a National Park in the area you are visiting.

Unfortunately SanParks do not have any "standard" for Accessible Accommodation. Each Camp in Kruger have their own interpretation of universal access. This where the website is so valuable.

SanParks designates the "Z" suffix to Accessible Accommodation but this does not ensure that the unit allocated are suitable for wheelchair users. Most "Z" units have a roll-in shower, but many still have a bath which is not suitable for most wheelchair users.

Accessible Units cannot be booked via the SanParks website. So reservations must be made at SanParks central reservations.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation regarding Accessible Accommodation at SanParks.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi All

Hopefully some of the Letaba campers can answer this.

I am sure that at one stage the camping sites at Letaba were split into electrified and non-electrified sites. I only see electrified camp sites at Letaba now in the availability page, do all the campsites now have electricity?

Thanks

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:35 am

GlenD, it seems that is the case. From the Letaba camp page on the website:

Campsites

60 x tent or caravan sites, with power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
Sawubona
Dalene

MKoch

Unread post by MKoch » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Hallo everyone.

My sister is at Letaba at the moment, and was wondering about the steel shed that's just north of Letaba on the left side.

Does anyone know what it's for?

Have a good day..
Shingwedzi 27Feb - 1Mrt, Letaba 2-5Mrt

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:46 pm

There is an incineration site near Letaba, so that could what she is describing, though without knowing exactly where she is looking, I can't be sure. :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”