Skip to Content

New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ctm7943

Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.

Unread post by ctm7943 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Is there a restaurant at Crocodile Bridge?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 pm

No, no restaurant, just the shop at the moment.

ctm7943

Unread post by ctm7943 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 pm

So, where did watershed get the delicious fish?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Think he was referring to the new Cattle Baron at Skukuza! :thumbs_up:

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:08 pm

On my recent trip we ate at the restaurants in Shingwedzi and Punda Maria that Tindlovu has recently taken over. They are slightly more expensive than the M&B with a limited menu. But the menu has all the old favourites - steak, chops, fish and chips, salads, toasted sandwiches. They seem to have taken on the existing staff (well James is still at Punda, which is a relief). Service was good and the food was good. And the sunset and full moon shining on the river, viewed from the restaurant terrace was to die for.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Mikath, at the moment the exchange rate is very favourable to us Brits, we got R17 to the £. A one course evening meal for 2 with a beer and a soft drink cost us around £10-15, a lot less than we would pay in a similar quality place here.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:22 pm

We've just come back from Kruger and have eaten in most of the "new" restaurants. We are new to M&B and Debonairs and were impressed.

Its a great idea to have the pizza takeaway at Satara and its a shame the other restaurants don't do the same. Service at Satara was a bit dodgy on the first night but improved. Letaba service was slow (why do we have to wait around to pay the bill?) but food was good, chips a bit undercooked one day.

Lower Sabie was a revelation on what it used to be. Its so great to see the deck being well used at night, it used to be dead. On the 4 occasions we ate there the service was very good and we enjoyed the food, well cooked and well presented.

The only disappointment was the Cattle Baron takeaway at Skukuza, it was chaos. It could be that we arrived at the same time as the 20+ OSVs ( :roll: ) but a 20 minute wait for "fast food" is not acceptable. Could do a lot better with a couple of simple changes. A couple of days later we had breakfast in the restaurant and it was miles better.

sucramuk

Unread post by sucramuk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Just got back from Kruger. Have only eaten at the restaurants 3 times in my 6 visits to the park. Went to M&B at lower sabie. Food and service to me wasn't much of an improvement from when it was a sanparks restaurant. Wasn't that many people dining considering we struggled to get accommodation at the camp.
I think I'll carry on staying away from the eateries!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Since the new franchises have taken over we have eaten at M&B at Letaba and Olifants and found both to be very good indeed. Pleasant staff and tasty food, served in a reasonable amount of time.

I had a take-away from the Wimpy and Pretoriuskop in November and, again, pleasant staff and quick delivery of the tasty burger and chips.

More recently we had breakfast and evening meal at the Cattle Baron at Skukuza. Again, the service was very good with very pleasant staff. The food was easily comparable with Joburg restaurants of the same type - brought quickly and very good quality and taste. The decor of the Cattle Baron is very tasteful and blends in with the surroundings, but at the same time is comfortable and functional.

All in all, much better than previous experiences.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

JeanniR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JeanniR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:35 am

We have just returned from a week in Kruger 8)

We ate at the Cattle Baron (Skukuza), service was a bit slow but the food was delicious.
Here are some photos of the inside of the restaurant and our food - taken with my phone so the quality isn't great.

Hamburger:

Chicken Parmesan:

Beautiful lighting:

We also ate at the Lower-Sabie M&B...Our waitress Sammy, was lovely. Food was good and the service fast.

The second time we ate there the service was very slow. We waited for over 20 minutes just to get our drink order which was very disappointing. :naughty:
Such is the human race, often it seems a pity that Noah... didn't miss the boat.
Mark Twain

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks for the photos Jeanni...............by the looks, still in keeping with the bush, so that is wonderful.

It seems that mostly your experiences were good. :dance:

Although there have been some disappointments since these places opened, it does seem that the general trend is that they are a vast improvement from what went before!!

Keep up the good work Cattle Baron and Mugg & Bean and Tindlovu!!!! :dance:

Sneeugans

KNP Restaurants

Unread post by Sneeugans » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:28 pm

I am curious to know what visitors to the KNP think and have to say about the new restaurant franchises. I assume that all the eating places are up and running by now. Not having visited Kruger for some time, but planning a trip for June, I would like to get some insight into this aspect in order to plan our meals.
Thank you

BrawlerO
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BrawlerO » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:22 pm

As I've just returned from two weeks in KNP I'll reply while things are fresh in my memory.

Overall the restaurants were good but a bit variable. We had some very good meals and service and some times it was not so good. You could go in to the same place two nights running for the same thing and have very different experiences. The biggest problem we found was probably boredom with the menus as we got towards the end of the trip. Especially as my partner is a vegetarian

Mugg and Bean I think were better for breakfasts/brunch, portions were big. Tindlovu seemed better in the evenings. Cattle Baron at Skukuza we only visited for breakfast (twice). Once was great, the next was poor (food and service).

Regardless, the views at most (Lower Sabie, Skukuza, Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Olifants) were fantastic and worth putting up with any niggles food wise! :-)

It won't be perfect but you won't go hungry and probably improving all the time as they bed in.
International Visitor from the UK

ryry2003

Unread post by ryry2003 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:18 am

It will be great not having to cook your own food when we get to the camps this July.

As much as we love a BBQ, which we have plenty of at home, it is also good to just walk to the restaurant and order a meal.

Looking forward to our visit to Kruger in July, more so for the park itself then the food of course.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:14 pm

I think it's really great to have the choice available!
Wishing you a wonderful trip in July ryry2003. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Kruger National Park”