Skip to Content

Fuel Advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Clean Diesel in Kruger Park

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Pardon my ignorance but can the 50 & 500 be used interchangeably?

After all what is 450 parts per million?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

DrPhil

Unread post by DrPhil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 am

BB no problem in asking questions :thumbs_up:

The 50 ppm and 500ppm can be interchanged. But only on the older engines. They can handle both but prefer the dirtier 500ppm diesel. The more luxurious new diesels, merc and bmw have sensors that will stop the engine when 500ppm is added to the system. Even the VW amarok will not be under warranty from VW as soon as 500ppm is added to the system. That is the first thing they test for when there is a problem. :wall: :wall:

The new ford ranger 3.2 V6 TD is the only new engine that is allowed to fill up with 500 ppm. :thumbs_up:

The 50 ppm and 500 ppm is the sulphur content in the diesel.

What is interesting is that fuel companies are allowed to mix intermix (the volume of fuel that is not diesel or petrol but a mixture of different fuels) with 500 ppm and even LRP. Of course the amount they are allowed to mix is strictly governed but it is allowed. They are however not allowed to mix anything into 50 ppm as the sulphur content will then become to high.

ps. Intermix is formed because the same pipeline is used to pump all types of fuel from the coast to the rest of the country. It is only separated by a rubber ball in the pipeline. So some mixing of products will occur.

pps. Sasol actually produces 10 ppm diesel. The cleanest diesel in the world but then adds some additives to get it to 50 ppm.
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 am

I checked at BnD last night - ordinary 500ppm diesel is no longer available in the park, all supplies changed to 50ppm!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

DrPhil

Unread post by DrPhil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am

ecojunkie, I do think it was a wise choice made by SANParks even though I dont like it.

The older engines can handle it even if they prefer 500ppm, the new engines can't handle 500ppm and more importantly they are not allowed to use 500ppm.

Most of the people visiting the park drive newer diesels and for me to do one or 2 tanks on the cleaner diesel is much better than anyone in a new engine loosing his warranty on a R800 000 car because he was forced to fill up even if just to make it to the closest available 50 ppm pump.

So WELL DONE to SANParks for changing. :clap: Or was it Total???
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

Jaco V
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jaco V » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I think the swap from 500ppm to 50ppm is more a logistical matter than a money making move.

Fact is new technology diesel vehicles require 50ppm diesel. I would say that the largest number of vehicles refilling with diesel in KNP are newer vehicles (rentals and private owned). Older vehicles are also more tolerant of clean diesel than the newer ones of 500ppm diesel.

Now, if you had to supply KNP service stations of fuel, consider the following. You need to supply petrol (95 octane and potentially LRP) as well as diesel (50ppm and 500ppm). That means you need to supply 4 different forms of fuel. Much easier to just deliver one sort of petrol and diesel is it not? It will save you a lot on delivery costs. Add to that the fact that 50ppm has a lower sulphur content that makes it cleaner and more "green". What better way to market your fuel in a conservation area?

Sulphur was used to lubricate the diesel pumps of older vehicles. It prevented excessive wear on the pump. The sulphur would leach into the engine oil and break down the chemical bonds of the oil, shortening the oil's useful life span. Thus you need to do an oil service more often. Not something the average motorist finds appealing. Add to that that sulphur is poisoness. So remove the sulphur. New engines are developed for low sulphur diesel, giving service intervals similar to petrol engines. However this means older engines now have a wear issue. So add 200ml of 2 stroke oil to a tank as DrPhil suggested. The diesel pump is happy again.

DrPhil wrote: Even the VW amarok will not be under warranty from VW as soon as 500ppm is added to the system. That is the first thing they test for when there is a problem. :wall: :wall:

Just a correction :wink: . The Amarok will gladly run on 500ppm diesel and VW will support the warranty. My Amarok's owners manual and service guide only states that the service interval needs to be increased in countries where high sulphur diesel is used. SA is one of those.
I am aware of dealerships that run their demo Amarok vehicles on 500ppm diesel. Now that would cause serious issues should you do that and then sell of the car to an unsuspecting buyer would it not?
I prefer to run my Amarok on 50ppm diesel, but it is good to know I can use 500ppm if that is all that is available.
Jakes

Lennie Senior

Diesel fuel in Punda, Shingwedzi & Letaba

Unread post by Lennie Senior » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 am

Although I know that diesel fuel is available at these camps, can someone please advise whether 50ppm diesel is now available or still only 500pm as in 2011 ? And if possible, what is the diesel price per litre in the Northern campd of Kruger ?

Len

Floors

Availability of 50 ppm diesel

Unread post by Floors » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Is low sulphur --50 ppm - diesel available in KNP. If so, at which camps?

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Availability of 50 ppm diesel

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:26 am

At all camps with petrol stations. Total changed over and that is actually all that is available now
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

M@rie

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread post by M@rie » Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 pm

Hiho Forumites :yaya:

according to Kruger All-in-One it isn't possible to pay fuel with Credit Card
Petrol stations at Kruger accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/ cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase. Credit or debit cards are not accepted for payment at fillings stations.

or are there any changings in the meantime? my last state of knowledge (2013) is that it isn't possible, but someone claimed that it is now :hmz:

:gflower: :gflower: you in anticipation
regards M@rie

,,,^..^,,, March 2017 - Lower Sabie booked and confirmed ,,,^..^,,,

Elsa

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread post by Elsa » Tue May 05, 2015 2:20 pm

The garages do take credit card payments for fuel, but do remember that the lines can and do go down occasionally so its always best to carry some cash on you for those times.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

ANAT

Petrol / Gas cost 2016

Unread post by ANAT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 am

Hi everyone
I hope I am posting this in the right place , not sure if I am within the rules , if not sorry and
maybe someone can correct me and advice on where to post .
I am looking for some help in calculating costs , can someone help me with a rough calculation on petrol cost in SA
and how much petrol would I be using per day or week in the park ?
I know it depends on car km etc but I am just looking for a rough estimate from your own
experiences to get an idea from .
The plan is to fly from abroad into Skukuza airport and rent a vehicle there .
I am trying to build a cost sheet and see how much I will have to spend in the park on food and petrol
before I actually look into flights and accommodation .
Thanks for your help :)

Enni

Re: Petrol / Gas cost 2016

Unread post by Enni » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:07 am

Hi ANAT,

costs are depending not only on the kilometers you are driving and the type of car but especially on the denth of sightings ... :D .

I am a guy who is in the park once the gate open until gate closing, just small breaks for breakfast and lunch. During that time I calculate with 150 - 200 km per day. The maximum was around 250km.

If I remember right the costs per litre diesel are around 1 Euro (2015), which was 12 - 13 rand that time. Now we have a better exchange rate and lower fuel prices all over the world .

I normally drive a smaller SUV which needs approx 7 - 8 litres per 100 km.

May be this helps for your rough calculation...
Greetings from Germany
Next Time Kruger:
27 - 28 Feb Berg En Dal
28 Feb - 02 Mar Satara
02 - 04 Mar Olifants
04 - 06 Mar Skukza
06 - 09 Mar Lower Sabie

10 - 11 Mar Berg en Dal
11 - 13 Olifants
13 - 15 Satara
15 - 17 Skukuza

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Anat and welcome to the forum
All the nitty gritty aside, if I look at our past expenses the following is clear
An average car, with an air-conditioning running driving at no more than 35km/h. Driving from gate opening approximately 4 hours, then back at camp and then 2 hours before gate closure accumulated daily, included stopping at sightings and at viewpoint and picnic sites we averaged 120 – 160km daily. Same goes for half days trip.
Idling at a maximum speed of 35/km our vehicle travelled round 600km per tank in the park. Hence we went 3 ½ - 4 days with 1 tank of 50L……..Petrol
That's it for us
Last edited by RemiE on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

ANAT

Unread post by ANAT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Thank you all for your replies :)

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by harrys » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:19 am

Hi Anat

I drive a 2L diesel Qashqai and when driving in Kruger I get 19 km/l when driving at 40km/h, Diesel price in Kruger should be around R11.

Hope this will help
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!
Lower Sabie: 13 to 19 August 2016

Return to “Kruger National Park”