Skip to Content

Skukuza airport

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza airport

Unread post by Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 am

suebfly wrote:Turbulence changes from hour to hour so there is absolutely no way to predict. I have done the trip to KMIA many times and have never experienced anything too bad at all

Luggage is 20kg per person plus 7 kg hand luggage - I must admit they have never actually weighed my hand luggage which is usually very heavy with camera, binos etc but they can and this is the limit

suebfly,
Thanks for the response.

Last December I had a really unpleasant drive back to Jhb.
Pouring with rain, the mine trucks that came thundering in the opposite direction, all making conditions really difficult.
So that got me thinking that maybe I should consider flying.
But on balance, I think that maybe I will drive this time. Logistically it seems easier.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 pm

I used Skukuza airport today and had to wait around for several hours as I was dropped off early. I am very impressed! Clean, friendly staff, pleasant surroundings, convenient! After each group of passengers moved off somebody came and plumped up the cushions on the chairs, someone else was in the toilets carefully folding paper towels, staff greeted me as they walked past and chatted. Departure procedures were smooth and quick......and we boarded so quickly we even left early!

Will definitely use it again!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:11 pm

I forgot to say that before security you can get coffees, etc, but once in the departure area there is a small cafe type shop which has some food for sale (sandwiches, burgers) and drinks.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 pm

I am back home again, flying back into Skukuza airport. If you are hiring a car for Kruger then this is definitely the best way to do it! The only (slightly) negative aspect would be that you are limited to Avis as a car hire......no shopping around for best deals. But the office at the airport is open now, and they are well prepared. I think the convenience probably is worth it! And having only a few folk to deal with makes it more likely that things will go smoothly especially if cars are booked in good time.

On my flight home there were only 10 people on the little plane.....hopefully this is not too common as it might make them reduce or cancel flights.......

And one other issue that international travellers might find......I nearly panicked when my bag did not appear on the carousel at ORT in Jo'burg. As Skukuza is a regional airport the procedure is to collect your bag, clear customs and then check it in again.

Went to the baggage information desk, and they found that my bag had been checked straight through to Skukuza and was shown on the computer as being sent there on my flight. It seems some international airports don't recognise the name and so presume it is another international destination and check bags straight through by mistake! The helpful lady said it happens with Phalaborwa too......

So my advice to international folk is......check the carousel anyway, if your bag comes through then clear customs and check it in at the drop desk as usual. If it does not come don't panic! Check at the baggage information kiosk (if time) that the bag is checked through to Skukuza and then simply go through to domestic departures in Terminal B. The confusion is actually helpful as it means not having to deal with a big bag in ORT!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I flew with South African Airways.....so essentially the same carrier all the way.

And yes, you would drive the car to the airport......just check to be sure when you pick it up. They do have a mini-bus between the camp and airport but charge R150/person for the ride. I am not sure if that applies to their customers if, for example, you decided to rather hand the car in at Skukuza. But again you can check with them at pickup.

Do make sure you have details of your reservations handy because you will be asked for them by a SANparks official who checks each arrival.

wild bill

Unread post by wild bill » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi EJ,I can think of one good reason why there is so little people on the flight-it is simply the most expensive domestic flight in RSA if you fly from Cape Town.It would be nice, but for that money,I fly to OR Tambo,hire a car,drive to Kruger and pay for my accommodation and it is still cheaper.Unfortunately no competition on that route so prices will stay high.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:35 pm

That is a very good point. The convenience for international travelers is pretty high, but the flight has to be attractive to domestic travelers in order to be viable. Costs need to come down.

I'm 18 months from my next magical trip to SA, but 6 months from booking. I really look forward to utilizing the Skukuza airport and maximizing my time in Kruger! :)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Biyamiti
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Friends are flying into Skukuza airport and need to get to the Skukuza camp. How do they do that?
Thanks for your help.
Linda

Your post got buried in the quote but I found it!

Avis run a mini-bus from the airport to the camp for anyone who has not booked a car with them or does not have transport. The cost is R150/person/trip. I suggest they contact Avis to book and make sure of their place. If they have arranged car hire anyway then the car should be available at the airport.

suebfly

Unread post by suebfly » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 pm

I flew to Skukuza two weeks ago and what a great experience. Absolute bliss flying direct from Cape Town and not having to stop over in Johannesburg. What a lovely little airport with very helpful staff - now to start planning some trips for 2015 :D :clap:

Image20141122_101625 by suewilliamson777, on Flickr

This is taken from the Departure lounge

Image20141122_101620 by suewilliamson777, on Flickr

Image20141122_095130 by suewilliamson777, on Flickr

These lovely chaps are inside the building

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Looks wonderful!
Thanks for the pics Sue! :clap:
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:52 am

:D Thanks for the photos Suebfly - I have seen the airport in July while they were still painting and decorating. The Avis "office" was under a thorn tree :D . And yes, cannot agree more - the small airport is a little gem. From stepping outside the aircraft after a wonderful 2 and a half hour flight from Cape Town, the magic of the bush is all around :D

And our plans for 2015 are already in place :think: .

Leana

Kruger: 5 - 11 July 2015

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza airport transportation

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 am

Avis, the car hire folk, do have a shuttle service between the camp and airport. It is R150 at last report, and would need to be booked ahead of time.

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Car rental from Skukuza Airport

Unread post by Merlin11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Let me start by saying I know there is a thread about flying in/out and car rental but I can't find it :? Someone help please?

We are trying to book a SUV car from Avis at Skukuza but am being told that they do not have this style of car in their fleet at Skukuza, I find this hard to believe :shock:

Has anyone rented a SUV ( or car with higher ride height) from Avis at a Skukuza recently? I know they have smaller cars but from our previous experience we really prefer something higher.

Or does anyone have an email address for the Avis office at Skukuza so we can ask them directly?

Many thanks :D

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 pm

I just did an on line enquiry from the Skukuza branch and it seemed happy to rent out a Fortuner 4 x 4 or an Avanza, much cheaper, as an alternative.
So maybe do one for your dates and see what it comes up with. http://www.avis.co.za/
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

WELSH_ASH

Unread post by WELSH_ASH » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi all,

I have rented a Toyota Fortuner 2 x 4 from Avis Skukuza. It was waiting at the airport for me when I arrived in October last year.

A great car, just wish they sold them here in the UK!

Return to “Kruger National Park”