Skip to Content

Skukuza airport

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza airport

Unread post by threedogs » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:59 pm

If you are wanting to search SAA flights to Skukuza from OR Tambo only and you are from outside South Africa you have to choose South Africa on the very first page of the http://www.flysaa.co.za website when it asks for your location. If, for example, I choose Australia (as that is my location) it will not give me the option of subsequently searching for that particular flight. If I put in South Africa as my location I can then do the search.
A random search for a return flight in July/August OR Tambo to Skukuza just came up with R2983.

If I want to search for a flight such as the one I want to undertake later in the year....Adelaide - JB - Skukuza return, then on the first page when asked for location I put in Australia and I will be able to do that search as I am not looking at RSA domestic flights but an international flight originating in Oz and ending in Skukuza.

Hope this helps. As saraf said; buying all flights on one ticket can work out cheaper and in my case that proved so. It also gives peace of mind for onward connections should there be any delays between flights.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

jumbuck

Unread post by jumbuck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:56 am

WELSH_ASH wrote:Thanks Johan.

My car is booked for Avis ready for my arrival into Skukuza airport on 30th October :D

Counting down the days already.....

So Avis will have their cars available from Skukuza Airport? I wasn't sure if this would be the case or if you would have to make your own way to Skukuza camp to pick your car up from there?

jumbuck

Unread post by jumbuck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 am

WELSH_ASH wrote:Hi Jumbuck,

As far as I know I will have to pick my hire car from Avis at the rest camp and not the airport.

I am going to email them and try to confirm exactly how I can get to Skukuza camp from the airport without a hire car! :?

Regards,
Ash

Hi Ash
Please let us know how you go with Avis.
I did ask them a few months back but they told me they had no idea as it was too far ahead. I will be there is August. I am sure there will be a shuttle service running if you can't get the car from the airport itself or maybe a brisk walk (sprint!) would be a good start to the holiday.

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 am

Good day WELSH-ASH

Can you please give me the contact details of the person you have spoken to in connection with the transport from Skukuza Airport to Skuz?

We have booked our tickets to fly in from Cape Town to Skukuza Airport in July. We are staying in Skuz the first night, where we will be picked up by a nearby lodge. So we do not want to hire an AVIS car.

But I have phoned, trying to get info - nobody seems to know about this transport. :doh:

Thank you!
Leana

WELSH_ASH

Unread post by WELSH_ASH » Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Leanawel,

It was Mari who arranged this transfer for me. Mari replied to my mail which was sent to the following contacts:

akani.shivambu@sanparks.org
mari.morland@sanparks.org

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ash

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 am

iLoveMeerkats!

Just returned from Kruger and visited the new airport because I will have the privilege to fly to Skuz in 2 weeks time.

Good news: the airport is operational for scheduled flights from 1 June. I watched an Airlink plane landing and departing.

The building is 99% completed, paving and decorating still in process. Avis has 2 offices there (still without furniture :D ) and is moving in shortly. I spoke to two of their agents who were operating outside on the parking area last week. There is also an Avis office at Skuz reception as usual.

Avis has a shuttle service to Skuz, R150 pp or one can hire a car at the airport. SANPARKS do not have any shuttle service - they have decided that it will not be practical :cry: . Avis is the only transport service at the moment, but they are friendly and very helpful.

Everyone is very excited and the airport is looking just great :thumbs_up: Really can't wait to fly in and witness the progress.

fee

Unread post by fee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 pm

R150 per person!!!!! :evil:
Skukuza airport to the camp must be about 3 km - Sorry, a right royal rip off!!
I just wish they were more car hire companies besides Avis for competition.

fee

Unread post by fee » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:14 am

The airport is no doubt targeting overseas visitors ..... less than $15 is fine. But for locals its highway robbery.

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:14 pm

fee - it really is. I think the airport is about 5km from Skuz.

ctm7943

Unread post by ctm7943 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:15 pm

So, since they will have cars available @ the airport and at Sku camp.
I am hoping they will have our requested car at the airport, we prefer not to pay $30 for us to take the shuttle to the camp.
However, the AVIS online reservations site does not list 2 seperate locations (Airport & camp), just one, which I am told is the camp location.
Automatic cars are probably in short supply, the choices are definitely limited.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Even for an overseas visitor, $15 per person each way is a bit steep. But, I guess they have a captive audience. :evil:
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 pm

ctm7943

I think you must just email Avis and confirm. But I think you can relax. While waiting to speak to the agents of Avis at the airport, they were busy hiring out a car to a couple who has just landed. The car was parked at the airport.

Leana

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:08 pm

I am sure if you have booked and are flying in they will have it at the airport for you. I will try to find out tomorrow just how things work.....time permitting.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Right! Went to the airport.....it is still something of a building site around the terminal building and the little shop was stocking up, Avis office is still waiting for desks to be delivered before being operational at the airport. All looks good inside though with check-in desk on the left as you walk in, and a concierge desk on the right down a short passage.

I was able to talk to one of the airport managers and get the information I wanted from her, and then drove to Skukuza and got more information from the Avis manager.

1. If you book a vehicle from Avis it will be waiting for you at the airport - worse case scenario is a shuttle to the camp, but that is free for all who have booked a vehicle. Booking in advance means your choice of car (or a better one) will be available.

2. Budget do also provide vehicles, but their depot is outside Kruger gate so a little more difficult, but again they will usually bring the car into Kruger to Skukuza or to the airport for you.

3. A shuttle will be operational for those who need to get from airport to camp or vice versa and that is R150/person. Yes it is steep, but they want to discourage back-packers for example who just pitch up on a plane and then expect to be ferried around or try to hitch with other guests (it was a problem when the airport was open before).

4. To indicate that you want the vehicle at the airport rather than the camp you must put your flight number on the booking form, if there is no flight number they will presume you want the car at camp. (But even then I suspect you will get a free ride into camp - I did not ask about that as I have only just thought about it :redface: ).

I think that is all I needed to find out???? The manager did advise that anyone wanting to leave a car for a return (eg staff) rather leave the car at Skukuza and get a lift out because of the building still going on. In time they may have parking facilities for folk to leave cars.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

nighthawk2

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm trying to figure out the motivation for flying into Skukuza - especially for overseas visitors.
An add on flight from Joburg to Skukuza is about $100.00 per person. Depending upon arrival time in Joburg, there may be a layover for a couple of hours. The drive from Joburg to Malelane is at best 4-1/2 hours and no way is fuel & car rental going to amount to $200.00 per couple.
If one flys into Skukuza, you still have to leave the park to do grocery shopping unless you intend to eat in restaurants the whole stay.
After a lengthy flight to start with, I personally don't see hanging around to catch another flight to Skukuza to only exit the park the next day to do the grocery shopping. To me, it makes more sense to overnight in Joburg & leave whenever is convenient to drive to Malelane for example.
What am I missing?
the nighthawk

Return to “Kruger National Park”