Skukuza airport

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza airport

Unread post by Leanawel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 am

iLoveMeerkats!

Just returned from Kruger and visited the new airport because I will have the privilege to fly to Skuz in 2 weeks time.

Good news: the airport is operational for scheduled flights from 1 June. I watched an Airlink plane landing and departing.

The building is 99% completed, paving and decorating still in process. Avis has 2 offices there (still without furniture :D ) and is moving in shortly. I spoke to two of their agents who were operating outside on the parking area last week. There is also an Avis office at Skuz reception as usual.

Avis has a shuttle service to Skuz, R150 pp or one can hire a car at the airport. SANPARKS do not have any shuttle service - they have decided that it will not be practical :cry: . Avis is the only transport service at the moment, but they are friendly and very helpful.

Everyone is very excited and the airport is looking just great :thumbs_up: Really can't wait to fly in and witness the progress.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Right! Went to the airport.....it is still something of a building site around the terminal building and the little shop was stocking up, Avis office is still waiting for desks to be delivered before being operational at the airport. All looks good inside though with check-in desk on the left as you walk in, and a concierge desk on the right down a short passage.

I was able to talk to one of the airport managers and get the information I wanted from her, and then drove to Skukuza and got more information from the Avis manager.

1. If you book a vehicle from Avis it will be waiting for you at the airport - worse case scenario is a shuttle to the camp, but that is free for all who have booked a vehicle. Booking in advance means your choice of car (or a better one) will be available.

2. Budget do also provide vehicles, but their depot is outside Kruger gate so a little more difficult, but again they will usually bring the car into Kruger to Skukuza or to the airport for you.

3. A shuttle will be operational for those who need to get from airport to camp or vice versa and that is R150/person. Yes it is steep, but they want to discourage back-packers for example who just pitch up on a plane and then expect to be ferried around or try to hitch with other guests (it was a problem when the airport was open before).

4. To indicate that you want the vehicle at the airport rather than the camp you must put your flight number on the booking form, if there is no flight number they will presume you want the car at camp. (But even then I suspect you will get a free ride into camp - I did not ask about that as I have only just thought about it :redface: ).

I think that is all I needed to find out???? The manager did advise that anyone wanting to leave a car for a return (eg staff) rather leave the car at Skukuza and get a lift out because of the building still going on. In time they may have parking facilities for folk to leave cars.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:46 am

nighthawk2 wrote:I'm trying to figure out the motivation for flying into Skukuza - especially for overseas visitors.
What am I missing?

Welllllllllll.....

First off, I am old and the husband is even older. Traveling long distance is hard on these old bodies. What with the long drive to the airport, 1o+ hour flight to London, layover, 10+ hour flight to JNB, we are totally and completely spent by the time we arrive. Totally jetlagged. Exhausted. Haven't slept for a zillion hours. And did I mention my aching back? There is NO WAY we could safely drive the 5 hours to Kruger after all that...it would be suicide. We could spend the night in a hotel and try and recoup, but that would cost more than the flight and, more importantly, that would be one less day in the bush.

We have spent loads of time in Joberg and driven to Kruger many many times, so I do not feel like we are missing seeing something along the way that we have never seen. All I want to do is get to Kruger as fast (and painlessly) as I can. Now I can fly into Kruger, drive 5 km and spend the rest of the day getting rejuvenated looking at the river, unpacking, chillin'. Heaven!

We always stay for at least a month, so we have plenty of time to get to the market after a few days.

What's not to understand??? :dance:

suebfly

Unread post by suebfly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 am

Excellent perspective iLoveMeerkats!. For me as a South African flying from Cape Town I want to spend as little time on the roads outside of Kruger as possible - for many, many reasons.

So I am THRILLED about the Skukuza airport. Phalaborwa is wonderful but expensive. We have just spent 10 days in Kruger and did not find it necessary to leave the park for shopping at all. The shops at camps had everything we needed and with the new restaurants we were totally spoilt for choice. For me future trips are going to start at Skukuza airport every time :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 am

It's really a case of "Each to their own".

Those who want to drive to Kruger from either other SA areas or from Joburg airport will do so, and those who don't want a long drive can now fly direct to Skukuza...................the good thing is, we have a choice!!!

We have always driven in the past, but with my SO and I having various medical issues, we will most probably fly London-Joburg-Skukuza in future.

When we arrive we will buy necessities at the park shop, and eat the first night at the restaurant, and then go the following day to do a big shop outside the park.

I understand it is a bit of a faff to go back out, but Komatipoort, Malelane or Hazyview are only just the other side of the various gates, and you are still driving mostly in the park to get to them.

For us, weighed against that long drive from Joburg, that will be the way to go for us in future!!!

However, as I said.............each to their own!!! :dance:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:48 pm

For me, I love the funky Phalaborwa airport and for some years have only visited the northern and central parts of the park. BUT flying from Phalaborwa to Cape Town requires a change at OR Tambo and since I have two cases (because I'm generally staying in SA for 2-3 months and need 'city' clothes as well as KNP clothes :wink: ), one case is invariably lost/delayed en route :roll: with often much time wasted in locating the missing case and getting it back. Thus, the option of the direct flight SKU-CPT is most appealing!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

WELSH_ASH

Unread post by WELSH_ASH » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 am

Many thanks to ecojunkie and others for looking into these queries :thumbs_up:

I have called Avis reservations in the UK and added my flight number to the booking. Fingers crossed my Toyota Fortuner will be waiting at the airport for me :pray:

Also, to note. Before the airport Avis office opened, Avis were only able to confirm a limited amount of hire cars when booking. But now it seems an almost full range of hire cars seem to be available, e.g. Hyundai IX35, Fortuner which is a big benefit for those preferring to drive a higher sided vehicle.

4 months and counting and I will be there !!

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi WELSH-ASH

I think your Fortuner (and yes, we drive a Fortuner and it is a nice high vehicle for the bush and gravel roads) will be at the airport. I have also made a booking for next week, putting the flight number at the reference space, but when my confirmation came via email, I could not see the flight number. So I called this morning, but the agent told me that he can see the flight number on his side and therefore knows that the car must be at the airport.

Compliments to the staff of AVIS, they are extremely friendly and helpful :gflower:

Enjoy counting down, mine almost here, still 6 days to go :dance: :dance:

Leana
Skukuza 8 July / Hamiltons Tented Camp 9-12 July

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza Airport To Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

I picked up guests at the airport on Thursday for the bush camp. The staff at the airport check in-coming passengers and issue any permits etc. I am not sure of the procedure as our guests did not need anything in fact, but somebody did come to check us.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Skukuza car hire - help please

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 am

Hi all, I am intending to fly into Skukuza and want to hire a car there.

Google is not very helpful and neither is the SANParks website.

1. What is the procedure? Do you hire cars at Skuk airport or are you driven to the camp to hire them there?
2. What operators operate from there?
3. Do they have an option of more than 100 km per day which is pretty useless in Kruger.

Or is far more cost effective to fly to KMIA and hire there.

I would rather fly into Skuk though, but if it is made 'difficult'......

Thanks for any info.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza car hire - help please

Unread post by Stark » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:13 pm

It looks pretty easy, BB. Pickup and dropoff available at the airport, Avis only I believe at this point (SANParks should revisit this and offer a competitive playing field with more than one vendor), check in at the airport.

Looking forward to hearing your experience with the flight and airport process if/when you go, BB!
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Biyamiti
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Skukuza airport - official launch today, 28/7/14

Unread post by Lesego » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Launch of scheduled flights to the Skukuza Airport.

Voices of the Wild Kruger National Park Choir entertaining guests.

Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

wbevents

Re: Skukuza airport - official launch today, 28/7/14

Unread post by wbevents » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:15 pm

:clap: :clap: used it twice already, really looking worldclass
July 2016 booked !!!

ctm7943

Unread post by ctm7943 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Hello all,
Just found out from chatting with a person who flew into skukuza.
Yes, there is a sanparks representative at the Sku airport.
After you pick-up your car, they check your car documentation & sanparks documentation to issue the permit.
We have already paid our conservation fees & our 1st camp is lower sabie.

We called AVIS to have our flight # added to the reservation, so hopefully our car will be avsailable for pick-up @ the airport :pray:

ctm7943

Unread post by ctm7943 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:46 am

Avis has a shuttle service from the Skukuza airport to Skukuza camp for R150 pp.
SANPARKS does not have a shuttle service from the airport to the camp.

Return to “Kruger National Park”