Skip to Content

Camp Shops - Love them..., but if you were the buyer what else would you include in the mix??

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Travelstory

Camp Shops - Love them..., but if you were the buyer what else would you include in the mix??

Unread post by Travelstory » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 am

Coming from the States to go to Kruger - most particularly now that we fly straight into Kruger's' Skukuza airport - we depend on the camp shops not only to supply us with our basic needs during our stay - food, candles, batteries and the necessities - but also for souvenirs and gifts to take home. Since my first visit in 2001 the shops have improved vastly. On our last trip we really loved the Shingwedzi shop as they seemed to have some very unique items. I paid handsomely for a beautiful bag - yes I am a girl - by Elsona, hand made in South Africa at the Shingwedzi shop which I carry daily.

I ask, if you were the buyer for the camp shops what would you add to their assortment? I will start by saying I would add camp chairs to each and every shop. Instead of bringing chairs all the way from the States - which we have done - we buy chairs there to use for the three weeks we are in the park then leave them behind before our departure. But in the park we find camp chairs only at Letaba and then if only by luck. Why wouldn't more camps carry camp chairs? We can't be the only ones that find the hard wooden chairs provided a bit uncomfortable.

Many of the main camp shops - Lower Sabie, Skukuza and Mopani - seem to all have the same assortment of souvenirs, t-shirts and such. But some - Crocodile Bridge, Shingdzi and Orpen - have more unique items.

(I am aware that we are fortunate as pricing in these shops is not a huge issue for us being that the exchange rate is very much in our favor. For local South Africans I do understand it is an issue. For this conversation let's dream of desires and leave pricing out of the dialog.)

What would you change about the assortment? What do you look for in the shops you can't find?

Travel Story
AKA Dana

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Camp Shops - Love them..., but if you were the buyer what else would you include in the mix??

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:22 am

Dana, I have seen other tourists from overseas mention the camp chairs. It does make the trip more comfy. Perhaps someone should suggest that they have something available.

I have had to buy socks on occasion, due to inclement weather, or the sock fairy. Some of the smaller shops do not keep this in stock.

Some of the clothing items are lovely. I'm a girl, so I could spend a lot of money, given the chance. I have found that the quality is good, but rather pricey. I have made use of their sales and walked away with lovely bargains. 8) I also enjoy reading, so the more books, the better. The range can be disappointing.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Billy Goat

Re: Camp Shops - Love them..., but if you were the buyer what else would you include in the mix??

Unread post by Billy Goat » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:33 am

Hi Dana,

I think that a great item would be disposable cameras.
It can and does happen that sd cards fail, batteries pack up or heaven forbid you drop your camera for whatever rhyme or reason and it breaks. Or one simply forgets to pack the camera before leaving home.

You pop into the shop, pick up a disposable "point & shoot" camera. It takes 40, 60, 100 photos, costs you R100 and when you get home you print the pics....
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. (Mark Twain)

Addo 11 - 14 Dec
West Coast 17 - 18 Jan
Hluhluwe/Umfolozi 18 - 21 March

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:23 am

Camp chairs would be a great idea - but should include a couple of little ones for children. Despite being a seasoned camper there have been times when we have needed to purchase camp chairs whilst on holiday - like when one collapsed under SO as he sat down :whistle:

A wider range of books is also a good idea and not just guides to flora and fauna.... what about a couple of Tony Parks and Wilbur Smith?

A range of cheaper souvenirs that children (....and locals :) ) can afford to buy. I agree that Shingwedzi shop has improved in leaps and bounds but had a very disappointed 10year old who wanted to buy something to take home. He only had R120 and is too old for pencils with Hippos on top etc. Unfortunately the cheapest T-shirt or cap were over R200 and the pen knives seemed to start at R400 :(

In the olden days, the shops used to stock camera film - how about stocking a small range of SD cards? 4 and 8Gb micro and normal?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:15 am

.. and a few unmentionables should one end up arriving in the park without your luggage. This happened to me once - our luggage went missing on one of our flights to the park. One can buy T Shirts and short to get by; but not undies.
Sawubona
Dalene

Aardvark

Unread post by Aardvark » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 am

Hey, as long as they have those awesome frozen yogurt treats, then im happy.
I spend so much money each time i go to the Kruger on those frozen yogurt cups...damn you :mrgreen:
2016 Kruger National Park:
12-14 March 2016: Satara
14-16 March 2016: Lower Sabie
17 March 2016: Berg-en-Dal

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:44 am

For the overseas market - small, unbreakable items that fit in luggage and luggage allowances.

T-shirts are great but in recent years the quality has been poor.

Things with a camp theme, not just "Kruger".

Stuff that is made in South Africa. I think that is my biggest complaint, there are so many small craft workshops around

I have never been able to find a decent pen there so pens, both nice fancy ones that make great souvenirs and the plain everyday ones for keeping in the car.
And notebooks. Again give me a jotter and then some journals with decent paper. I write rough notes in the car but in the evening I love writing up those notes into a decent journal with nice paper and using a pen that is a joy to write with.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Puff Addy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Puff Addy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:57 am

Stuff that is made in South Africa. I think that is my biggest complaint, there are so many small craft workshops around

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

leo21

Unread post by leo21 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Billy Goat wrote:Hi Dana,

I think that a great item would be disposable cameras.
It can and does happen that sd cards fail, batteries pack up or heaven forbid you drop your camera for whatever rhyme or reason and it breaks. Or one simply forgets to pack the camera before leaving home.

You pop into the shop, pick up a disposable "point & shoot" camera. It takes 40, 60, 100 photos, costs you R100 and when you get home you print the pics....

billy, this happened to me :big_eyes: ...drove into the kruger took my camera out saw some lions next to the road and then........my lense packed up it got dust in and stopped functioning completely!!!! first day and needless to say my trip felt kind of depressing seeing as i could not take photos!

if the camps sold desposable camera or even lense(to take it further) my trip would have had some memeories to take home, now i only have those in my head :hmz:
December Holiday BOOKED!!!!
25 Decemeber - [b]Skukuza[/b]
26 December - [b]Pretoriuskop[/b]
27 December-30th -[b]Tamboti[/b]
30 December- [b]Letaba[/b]
31 December-[b] Satara[/b]
1 January- 3rd- [b]Pretoriuskop[/b]

leo21

Unread post by leo21 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:26 pm

cheaper meat would be nice :redface:

leo21

Unread post by leo21 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 pm

oh and do shops stock nappies...iv never need them as i pack my own( for my child not me :mrgreen: ) would be nice if they did....hell why not open a checkers......

JUST JOKING!!!! :gflower:

lucbo

Unread post by lucbo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm a big Sanparks fan, and the logo with kudu horns is beautiful. I would like more souvenirs with the Sanparks logo printed on it, like T-shirts, caps, mugs…
The tiles that you see on the walls in some camps, imprinted with the latin "Custos naturae" (the guardian of nature) are lovely - would like to find them.

leo21

Unread post by leo21 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm

lucbo wrote:I'm a big Sanparks fan, and the logo with kudu horns is beautiful. I would like more souvenirs with the Sanparks logo printed on it, like T-shirts, caps, mugs…
The tiles that you see on the walls in some camps, imprinted with the latin "Custos naturae" (the guardian of nature) are lovely - would like to find them.

Thats beautifull !! never knew that great idea for a tattoo..... :hmz: (do you know what langauge this is)

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:40 pm

leo21 wrote: Thats beautifull !! never knew that great idea for a tattoo..... :hmz: (do you know what langauge this is)
I believe its Latin and means "The guardian of nature" but I am open to correction from anyone more informed than me! :wink:

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:42 pm

leo21 wrote:
lucbo wrote:I'm a big Sanparks fan, and the logo with kudu horns is beautiful. I would like more souvenirs with the Sanparks logo printed on it, like T-shirts, caps, mugs…

Thats beautifull !! never knew that great idea for a tattoo..... :hmz: (do you know what langauge this is)

That is Latin, leo21 and Elsa, but I don't think that it is in use as the SANParks logo any longer - have a feeling that it has changed. Perhaps someone else knows?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Kruger National Park”