Skip to Content

Route from the Cape to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Capetown to Kruger Park

Unread post by Hugh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 am

I would drive up and take it slowly and stop often .. its the best way to see SA there is fortunatley more to see in SA than CT and KNP... leave CT Drive through the Tunnel and enter the hex river valley .. then travel though the karoo and stop at the Karoo National Park .. the views from the chalets are out of this world and then there is Mokola .. and real little Gem . Maybe cross over to Golden gate and then on to the KNP . the karoo is not boring .. lovely colours and rock formations etc Just my thoughts . and the heat in Jan Well all chalets have aircon and the tents Fans I have never found it a problem
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Stickman360

Re: Route from the Cape to Kruger.

Unread post by Stickman360 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Im planning on driving up to the KNP from PE in a motor home, Im looking for the best way to get there with 2 safe overnight camping spots as i would like to drive the 1500km over 3 days. The motor home does between 80-100km per hr and so overtaking isnt going to happen.

Does anyone know of some great places to stop over night and which roads should i stick to that have plenty of overtaking lanes for other vehicles to make use of.

"Its about the journey not just the destination" motivational line for the trip there and back.

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Route from the Cape to Kruger.

Unread post by Albert » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:28 am

I had much the same dilemma when planning a route from CT to KNP with my caravan last year. The best suggestion I can make regarding your first night's stay is to aim for the Gariep Dam. That's about 500 km from PE, and apparently the camping/accommodation there is good.
It's the second night that is the problem, because you would be in the JHB area...
Good Luck!
Latest lifers: Grey-backed Cisticola, Ludwig's Bustard, Tractrac Chat, African Reed Warbler, Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar

Ockert

Best route from Port Elizabeth to Mopani Camp?

Unread post by Ockert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:25 am

We are leaving Port Elizabeth on Friday morning to travel to Mopani Camp (Tsendze) with our off-road caravan. Our booking at Tsendze is from Sunday, we therefore have two nights to sleep over on our way there.

Can anybody please advise us on a possible route from here in PE to Tsendze over the two days. The last time we did the trip we stayed over in Johannesburg and Polokwane (Pietersburg) before we entered the Park at Phalaborwa. We would like to do it different this time. The one option is to travel to Heidelburg (or somewhere close) on Friday and then leave early on Saturday morning so that we can spend some time around the scenic spots like Sabie, Graskop, Bourke's Luck, etc. We can then stay over in that area and enter the Park at Phalaborwa on Sunday.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you can suggest B&B facilities in these areas, I would also really be thankful.

Regards
Ockert

DinkyBird

Re: Best route from Port Elizabeth to Mopani Camp?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Ockert

We used to beat a path from EL to Kruger with our van; and now from CT to Kruger.

We have found because we are towing, it is best to stick to the toll roads - they cost more, but are much easier to drive when it comes to passing, or moving over for someone to pass, and no potholes.

We gave up trying to do the other routes due to pot holes and narrow roads.

Depending on how far you are comfy to drive, I would do around 800/900km on the first day. We found our stop over at Heildeberg one year meant a lot of driving on busy and narrow roads and time wasted. We found a nice stop over near Vanderbijlpark we have used more than once - will PM you details. And then if you wish to do the Scenic Route I think you must head to the resorts in that area, so you can time your arrival at the park gate (Phalaborwa) giving you plenty of time to get to Mopani to check in and then to set up camp at Tsendze.

Keep the route through the busy areas around Jhb/Pta at your fingertips and plan to avoid rush hour in that area. Saturday should not be too bad.

Very envious of your trip!

(have you reserved a site at Tsendze?)
- Dalene

GavinW
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year (2016)
Award: Travel Tale of the Year - KTP - KTP Campfire Award (2016)
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2015)

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by GavinW » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi everyone
Any ideas or suggestions as to where we can stop over en route back to C Town
We are leaving from Croc bridge and are returning to Cape Town . We can camp or stay in chalets.
Please PM me any suggestions
Thanks
Gavin
See our trip reports:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2012

Wannabe Larnies in the KTP December/Jan 2015
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2015

DinkyBird

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi Gavin - depending on how many night stops you wish to take ...

Option 1 - Golden Gate - Mokala - Karoo - Cape Town : Did it going up last year May, roads all fine.

Option 2 - Croc Bridge to Mokala is a long drive, just over 1000km. We did it in a day from Skukuza. I do advise not to use the route google maps suggests tho :lol:

Will PM you other ideas.
- Dalene

Return to “Kruger National Park”