Skip to Content

A 2700km round trip to wedding 300 km away

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A 2700km round trip to wedding 300 km away

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:13 pm

A lot has happened since I last engaged on the forum. SO and I divorced, got married again, three months later in 2 Rivieren….I know, don’t ask it’s a long story. Just know that we are very happily married and ecstatic to have had the chance to right our wrongs.

We also transferred from Malelane Sugar Mill to Pongola Sugar Mill and cannot visit Kruger as often as we used to. The Kruger nostalgia hit home and we really needed to get back to where we belong.

We were invited to a friend’s son wedding at Malelane on the 31st of October and that’s when the idea was born. Why don’t we take extended leave and make a trip out of it? SO was suitably impressed and we started exploring various options.

Going straight to Kruger and back would mean travel the same route twice. We discarded that idea within seconds.

We wanted to get to Shingwedzi again and that would mean driving up north outside the park. We have never camped at Punda and I suggested to SO that while we will be driving north outside the park, we can just as well start right up north. SO thought about my suggestion for a second, literally, and very excitedly said YES…….that’s when the planning started.
You are younger today than you ever will be again. Make use of it for the sake of tomorrow.
-Anonymous

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: A 2700km round trip to wedding 300 km away

Unread postby leervis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Punda is a great camp for campers. Big sites, spotless ablutions, a great hide on a busy waterhole and amazing drives in all directions. Can be hot in Summer, but it has a really nice pool area to help with the summer temperatures. Only one thing to be aware of. If you need a power point, Punda has a unique setup. Instead of having one point per site, they have points around the camping area with each point catering for 6 sites. This can mean that you are really far away from your connection and when we were last there, our 30 meter extension was not nearly long enough. Work on 50 meters and you should be fine. Other than that, it is great. Lots of trees for shade, really cheeky thieving monkeys to keep you on your toes, and if you are a birder, the best that Kruger offers. Enjoy and I look forward to your trip report when you get back.
10 -13 May Berg en Dal Camping
14 May Lower Sabie Chalet
15 - 18 Pretoriuskop Camping
19 May Satara Chalet
20 - 24 May Balule Camping

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 pm

:dance: :dance: Looking so forward to reading all about this adventure!!

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:22 pm

By the way, the two best drives from Punda, imho are, up to Pafuri via Klopperfontein and then onto Crooks Corner, and the Mahonie Loop, a wonderful 2 to 3 hour drive.
10 -13 May Berg en Dal Camping
14 May Lower Sabie Chalet
15 - 18 Pretoriuskop Camping
19 May Satara Chalet
20 - 24 May Balule Camping

Kaapsedraai
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 pm

vlakvarksegat, this will be an interesting trip. :D

We also will be visiting the north in camping style, so very much interested in your experience. :thumbs_up:

Seat booked... :wink:
Current - Table Mountain's mood today
Current - Dec'15: Mokala(7th), Kruger (10-24th), Golden Gate (25th) & Karoo (26th)
Finished - Bontebok NP 23-25 Sep'15, Agulhas NP Jul'15; West Coast NP Aug'15, Kruger Dec'14

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:55 am

What a lovely surprise! A trip report from Vlakvarksegat! So glad to see you on the forum again! Looking forward to read all about this trip! :clap: :clap:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.
Kruger sleeps in March 2016
2 - 5: Skukuza
6 - 8: Crocodile Bridge
9 - 11: Lower Sabie
12 - 13: Biyamiti
14: Return home

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:27 am

VVV, lovely to see you back. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Waiting in anticipation for more.

:popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

barryels

Unread postby barryels » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:28 am

I know that you read the forums when you can, but great to see you back with a trip report my friend :clap: :clap: .

Really looking forward to read all about it :D .
Always be humble and understanding

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby isinkwe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi vlakvarksegat
And I thought you were scared away from the forums and Kruger by morecat Image
Nice to see you back, I will now stop blaming morecat Image
Looking forward to this trip :thumbs_up:
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.......I never know what they are planning. :roll:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ?

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:30 pm

leervis wrote:Punda is a great camp for campers. Big sites, spotless ablutions, a great hide on a busy waterhole and amazing drives in all directions. Can be hot in Summer, but it has a really nice pool area to help with the summer temperatures. Only one thing to be aware of. If you need a power point, Punda has a unique setup. Instead of having one point per site, they have points around the camping area with each point catering for 6 sites. This can mean that you are really far away from your connection and when we were last there, our 30 meter extension was not nearly long enough. Work on 50 meters and you should be fine. Other than that, it is great. Lots of trees for shade, really cheeky thieving monkeys to keep you on your toes, and if you are a birder, the best that Kruger offers. Enjoy and I look forward to your trip report when you get back.

Great feedback thank you Leervis. We are so looking forward to camping next to the fence and watch who visits the waterhole. I also heard that sturdy tent pegs is an absolute necessity to drive into the hard ground. After your advice, we will arrive well prepared, 50 meter extention included. :thumbs_up:
You are younger today than you ever will be again. Make use of it for the sake of tomorrow.
-Anonymous

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Kaapsedraai wrote:vlakvarksegat, this will be an interesting trip. :D

We also will be visiting the north in camping style, so very much interested in your experience. :thumbs_up:

Seat booked... :wink:

Welcome onboard Kaapsedraai, the furthest north SO and I camped has been Shingwedzi and during August.It was beautiful but dry. We promised each other then that we will return during Spring.
-Anonymous

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi DB, MM, Hilda and Barry, glad you noticed the report. Very glad to see you too :dance: I've been away to long and really missed the interaction on this great forum. :thumbs_up:
-Anonymous

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:49 pm

isinkwe wrote:Hi vlakvarksegat
And I thought you were scared away from the forums and Kruger by morecat Image
Nice to see you back, I will now stop blaming morecat Image
Looking forward to this trip :thumbs_up:

Hi Isinkwe :hello:

Poor Morecat did nothing wrong....we assumed that she was very shy, that's why she hid on the floor of your bakkie when we met. :hmz:
-Anonymous

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby vlakvarksegat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 pm

that’s when the planning started.

We discussed every possible route going north, trying to avoid driving highways and sticking to byways. We would also have to stay over one or two nights but the idea of sleeping outside the park did not appeal to us at all.

We could always drive from Pongola to Numbi and pop into Pretoriuskop the first night and maybe Orpen the next before reaching Punda. Such short stays in the park felt like we would be cheated out of possible sightings and the desire to go for a quick drive before hitting the long road would be impossible to resist.

To overcome this dilemma required some out of the box thinking…….
-Anonymous

barryels

Unread postby barryels » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:20 am

This is what I love about visiting the parks. The pre planning of where you should start and the route to get there in one peace without to much interference from the outside world :D .
Always be humble and understanding

Return to “Travel Tales”