Skip to Content

Re: Bookings - info - advice & Feedback

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Conservation Charges

Unread post by Imberbe » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am

South African tax money is contributing to the upkeep of our parks and has done so for many years. This is a small way in which South Africans are benefiting from the tax they are paying. South Africans pay the same rates for accommodation as people from all other countries.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Joep Stevens

Re: Conservation Charges

Unread post by Joep Stevens » Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Dear AndreaB,

To add to what Imberbe has already explained, conservation fees for national parks are determined considering the charges for similar reputable parks across Africa and the world.
We call these the standard conservation fees.
In the case of large parks such as Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo, SANParks rates compare favourably (cheaper) than parks such as Serengeti, Chobe, Masai Mara, Etosha.
As explained by Imberbe SA residents benefit by a ratio of 4:1 reduction, indeed for the reason of them funding the conservation grant that SANParks receives from the Government.
Then there is a further option for the regular and long staying visitors that can benefit from the Wild Card option available.
I hope and trust that this is understandable and supported.
Just a subtle difference - instead of the approach being "non-SA residents paying 4 times more than SA residents", the approach should be "non-SA residents pay comparable (if not favourable) rates (compared to parks across Africa and the world) and SA residents pay reduced fees, as it their taxes (mostly so) that fund conservation in South Africa."

Thank you.

General Manager: Tourism Operations

Re: change of booking

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Lucy

Yes, they are open on a Saturday, in the morning.

Central Reservations (Pretoria): +27 (0)12 428 9111 or mobile: +27 (0)82 233 9111
Call Centre Office Hours (GMT+2)

Monday to Friday: 07:30 - 17:00
Saturday: 08:00 - 13:00

List of satellite offices here:- link

Do you need a printed reservation?

Unread post by cfraser » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey guys

Going into the Kruger for day tomorrow, I have made my advanced reservation but do not have access to a printer, do you have to have a printed copy? Or you think I can use my iPad to show them the details??

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Do you need a printed reservation?

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm

If you make a note of your reservation number and client number they can look you up.

I once misplaced out paperwork, and there was no problem at all. They were very helpful at Malelane Gate where we entered the park, and Croc bridge camp, where we were staying.

Have a lovely day in the park.!!! :thumbs_up:

How many can you book at one time?

Unread post by matnikstym » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 am

There will be three or four sets of people traveling together but in separate cars and want separate huts/tents in several camps in Kruger. Can 1 person make res for 3 spots at each camp or does each party need to make their own? Thanks in advance.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: How many can you book at one time?

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 am

Hi Matnikstym,

I've booked more than one accommodation on one reservation number in the same camp in the past.

Enjoy your trip.......... :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: How many can you book at one time?

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Matnikstym, we usually book under one reservation number for our group.

Some lessons I have learnt....

1. Specify type of accommodation you want and number of people per hut - look online for the codes and equipment provided in the various accom types.
2. If you are paying separately, you can do this but make sure that the other guests quote the reservation number and note on the form that the credit card name is different from the booking info. Also pay at least 10 days before due date as we have had issues relating to this before. If your booking is not paid on time it is automatically cancelled. We usually pay the deposit in full ourselves and then have a smaller balance to pay than our friends. I always call reservations two days before due date to make sure that the payments have been processed properly.
3. The camps usually try to keep a group together. At most, we have been one or two huts in between. You can request specific huts from the camps by emailing the camps. We do this about 8 weeks out.

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Re: Online booking: query - where should it go?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Pete

Just keep in mind, to make use of the pensioners discount, you have to phone book, or book via email, online booking does not give pensioner discounts, but a 5% discount on some (if not all?) bookings. (For future when you are booking all those many lovely trips :D )

The Chill Room is the forum to browse through for Online Booking type of topics - see here. Near the top is a link to a tut. And a little further down is a topic Online Questions, Advice, Problems. Please ask any questions you have, we will try assist or ask the tech guys to help where we cannot.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Re: Daily conservation fee

Unread post by Philip1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Dani L wrote:Hello
Does one pay the conservation fee per day or per 24 hours?
If we get in the park at 10.00 am on day 1, at what time do we have to leave the park on day 3?
Many thanks

Hi Dani L, Sanparks say the following......

"General Information on Tariffs

Note: All Prices VAT inclusive and all tariffs in South African Rand - Tariffs subject to alteration without advance notice.
Daily Conservation Fee

Valid from 1 November 2013 to 31 October 2014

South African Citizens and Residents (with ID):

R62 per person, per day
R27 per child , per day"

Hope this is what you are looking for.
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Re: Obtaining Refund of Credit

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:43 pm

I should imagine your credit card details would be ok for the refund to be paid into.
What I did once was leave the credit in my a/c and used it up for a future visit.

Unread post by Frizzle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm

All you need to do is to send an e-mail to mentioning your reservation number and client code and request crediting of the amount on hold to your credit card. I already did it several times over the years and it works well. Sanparks does payments twice a month I believe, so you might have to wait a couple of weeks in order to see it on you credit card slip. Hope this help,
April 2015: Garden route, Addo and Karoo

Unread post by fee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I had to get a refund recently and needed to send a copy of my bank statement, a copy of my ID and I sent it together with all the details - reservation number, etc.
I got a response within a day or two, and a credit into my account within 10 days.

Unread post by ctm7943 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Today, I received an email from a second (different) SANParks person saying that my request for refund to my credit card will be processed with the next batch and that SANParks processes transaction twice a month (middle & end of month).

I am now concerned about having sent my bank info to Is this legitimate?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SANParks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:03 am

Dear ctm7943,

Yes, is actually the correct email as it is assigned to our colleagues at Finance who deal with reservation refunds. So all good. :thumbs_up:

Let us know if you need further assistance.
Nedret Saidova
Senior Manager: E-Business, SANParks

Return to “Kruger National Park”