Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 am

I usually go via Hazyview and enter at Phabeni, or Numbi. I usually travel through White River and take the N40 to Hazyview. It is then possible to decide which entrance to use, depending on time available.

I cannot comment on the N4, but I recently traveled via the R40 with no problem. It would be very easy to get back onto the road from Woolies.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:21 pm

I would strongly support Chirinda's advice.In White River,we have a very pleasant Pick and Pay which is halfway down the Main Street and on your RHS en-route to the Hazyview road.
The fresh produce is always satisfactory and the meat is quite acceptable as well.There is a section for basic outdoor items and you should be able to buy all the goodies you need.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello everyone

Although I reall enjoy eating meat, when I am in warm climates, I really enjoy eating fruit, etc. So my question is, is there a good variety of fresh fruit available in the shops either at Malelane, or Skukuza?

Additionally, as I am driving alone (hubby in the UK working), I don't really want to risk getting a tummy upset with game meat that I may find a little strong. I prefer to try those different meats when hubby is with me, hopefully next year!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Hello there
Depends on when you are coming to SA though there are usually plenty of fruits Winter oranges that can be bought at the road side at very reasonable prices and the shops will have a great variety Try food lovers Market in Nelspruit You can by fresh and dried fruit and nuts and also a good selection of meat ( beef, lamb and pork ) and they will package small quantities for you .The Park shops also have a nice selection of meat but their fresh fruit and veg can be limited
Enjoy
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 am

You will find plenty of fruit available at Spar, PnP, and Shoprite in Malelane.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:50 am

Hi Helol.

That is good advice form Hugh and GEJ.

There are some vendors as you turn into the road to Melalane. In the past, I have bought really lovely fruit there. A monkey at Melalane camp once stole the most delicious mango that I have ever eaten. :roll: They do have a good selection of fruits and veg, if you are using Malelane gate. The avos that I have bought from vendors can be very tasty, better than those bought in shops. Macadamia nuts are also often sold and make wonderful snacks.

I have been using the camp shops a lot more lately, as they do have a very good selection of meat. I am rather cautions about chicken in the Park, the heat can make it go off rather quickly. If I have Pork, I go for pork ribs that have been smoked. You will find a good selection in the Park shops. There is also an excellent selection of beef and lamb. I usually braai, or fry boerewors to keep as a light meal for the next day.

The Parks shops are not yet well socked with fresh produce, possibly due to heat. I have seen fruit that does not deteriorate to quickly, such as apples and oranges. I also found small packs of mixed produce, onions, tomatoes and peppers at a very good price. I paid R16 for two tomatoes, an onion and a very large pepper recently.

I often travel on my own and buying in the Park is convenient.

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Many thanks MM. Yes, I do enjoy the birds, but equally all other creatures. Yes, I know the app you mean, but I find if you see a crowd, go in the opposite direction, and generally one is ok! Plus, I have all the patience of a saint with wildlife so don't mind sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting, long after the madding crowd has dispersed.

Think I may stock up on snacks on the Sat afternoon in the shop at Malelane to get a head start (0600) early Sun morning. Not long now, arrive in Swaziland on the 23rd! then to KNP on the 1st Apr :D

Carla + Tony

Unread post by Carla + Tony » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi all,

We are visiting the Kruger in July. (can't wait. It's been three years since we were last there. Way too long!!)
We will stop over in Venda for one night and then travel to Punda Maria.
Before entering the park we woud like to stock up on some food (as on previous visits we found the choice in the park shops quite limited).
Where would be the best place to go. We would also like to get a small ice box some can stock up a little.
Any advice is very welcome.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Not too familiar with this area but I would suggest somewhere like Thohoyandou which should have some of the larger supermarkets and where you will find cooler boxes and everything you need.
but generally the shops are better stocked than before and the little restaurant at Punda Maria comes well advised. :thumbs_up:
Enjoy your trip.

Cecilec
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cecilec » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Hoi Carla en Tonx,

https://www.spar.co.za/Home/Store-View/ ... ou-Limpopo

Maybe you could email them , like we do for Super Spar in Malalane, and order your gamemeat. :dance:

Groetjes en goeie reis
Cécile :gflower:
19.04.-21.04.17 Berg en Dal
21.04.-25.04.17 Crocodile Bridge
25.04.-30.04.17 SATARA
30.04.-06.05.17 LETABA
06.05.-08.05.17 Lower Sabi
08.05.-10.05.17 Crocodile Bridge

[b] "Try to have always your ducks in a row."
[/b]

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm

We were pleasantly surprised at how much both the selection and quality of food had improved in the camp stores on our last visit to KNP (2014). We found them more than adequate for everyday meals, we still went outside to pick up specialty items and for some of our fresh veggies.
ON our upcoming vacation later this year, we will be including a trip down memory lane and visiting Hluhluwe and Mhkuze for a few days before travelling on to KNP for 5 weeks, can anyone tell me if the shops there have also improved their selection of food items. (I don't remember if Mhkuze had a shop).
Barb.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 am

Barb, I agree with you about the camp shops. It is not worth the petrol and time unless special items are needed.

I am extremely fussy about boerrie and I found some of the best tasting boerrie that I have ever eaten in the Skukuza shop. I also found the veg that they did have to be well priced. I suppose they cannot afford to have stock deteriorate in the heat.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I think the website is a bit out of date Helsinki, we recently found the Tops in Komatipoort open on a Sunday and I'm sure they will all be the same, but as I said I am really not sure about Good Friday, but it could possibly be?

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:33 am

Does anyone have experience with Loodt's butchery in Phalaborwa (think I have the correct name)? We usually buy meat from a butcher in JNB near my in-laws, but it would be more convenient to purchase in Phalaborwa this time. If someone could give me feedback, that would be great. We usually email an order prior to arriving.

Thanks in advance.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:57 pm

I actually have heard of Loodt's Butchery and sure we have bought from them in the past and I think as Crested Val has said, it is the one near the Standard Bank http://www.worldofmeats.co.za/view/loods-butchery

Return to “Kruger National Park”