Skip to Content

KNP UPGRADES GATE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEM

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:34 am

Kruger National Park (KNP) is currently implementing additional gate access control systems at its entrance gates in the Southern part of the Park, which will require that as from 1 September 2017, all visitors who are 18 years old and above must produce positive identity document for scanning in order to gain access. For non-South African visitors, they must produce passports but South African driver’s licence will also be acceptable.

The new system will assist with monitoring of people’s movement who enter and exit the Park, and will ensure that information related to any persons entering the park is centrally recorded and monitored.

“The system will apply to everybody including SANParks staff members, suppliers and other residents of the Park and is expected to improve on our proactive surveillance, early warning and detection. In our quest to continue to enhance security for both wildlife and visitors, we will continue to make use of appropriate security technology”; said the KNP’s Managing Executive, Glenn Phillips.

Visitors will still be required to go through their normal check-in or check-out at the gate receptions before proceeding to the security scanning process. Training for the security personnel on the upgraded system is underway in order to minimize the possible delays as soon as the new operation kicks-in.

We request that tour operators and ground handlers communicate this requirement with their guests.

“We recognise that we have to keep a very fine balance between imposing potentially anti-tourist friendly security apparatus whilst also ensuring the protection of both Tourists and Wildlife. We request the public to be patient during these very necessary security processes,” concluded Phillips.

Issued by:
South African National Parks, Kruger National Park - Communications & Marketing Department.

Enquiries:
William Mabasa, GM: Communications and Marketing, Kruger National Park. Contact: Tel: 013 735 4363, cell: 082 807 3919 or email: william.mabasa@sanparks.org

Photogirl6

Re: KNP UPGRADES GATE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEM

Unread post by Photogirl6 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:05 am

The scanning of my ID documents and car licence are an invasion of my constitutional right to privacy and I will NOT allow it. I have been going to KNP for over 40 years and it has become worse than a police state. I agree that measure should be taken to stop poaching and always allow my car to be searched and my ID booked looked at to confirm my identity but will NOT, repeat NOT allow them to be scanned!!!!!!!!!!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:27 am

I am sorry to hear that you feel your privacy has been invaded. You do realize that this is to curb poaching, assist with speeding and other lawless activities.

I am actually rather confused about your attitude. :hmz:

It certainly makes me sad to see that these measure have to be introduced, but if it is even going to save one animal's life, I am ok with it.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:17 am

A lot of residential complexes also have this process in place now.
I was at Rietvei Nature reserve 2 weeks ago, and they are also scanning drivers licences now. I have a feeling more places will start implementing this.

It is really sad that it has come to this, but I am sure it will improve safety, allow Park Management to catch up with law breakers quicker, and hopefully protect our precious animals.

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 am

My 2 cents worth.
The scanning of an ID book / Drivers Licence is becoming a more and more common practice, at least here in Gauteng anyway. There are a number of Business Parks , Housing Estates, Golf Courses etc that require this in order to gain access.
The Kruger National Park can scan my ID Book /Drivers licence and even me if they so wish :D
I think its a good thing :thumbs_up:
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am

I don't know where you live Photogirl16, but, as the others have said, in the Johannesburg area it is common to have IDs and licenses scanned at doctors, hospitals, housing estates, offices etc.

I think anything that is done to curb crime in KNP and SA in general should be supported.
Skukuza 13 October 2017
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-24 Oct 2017

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:22 am

As others have already said, this form of identitification is becoming more and more common nowadays,
so Photogirl16 just as you have the right to protect your privacy, so has SANParks the duty and right to protect their wildlife as they deem fit and if you want to enter the park, you and the rest of us will have to conform to the regulations laid down now. :thumbs_up:

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 am

I find it strange that on this very forum people moan about Security, Poaching etc in Park and demand to know what SanParks is doing about it, then when Sanparks introduces measure to combat it we moan about that. We are a strange lot aren't we.

renierdutoit
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by renierdutoit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:37 am

Well done Sanparks :thumbs_up: ! It is reassuring to know you take your conservation task and the safety and security of your guests and staff serious. I sincerely hope you achieve the desired results :D

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am

Elsa wrote:Photogirl16 just as you have the right to protect your privacy, so has SANParks the duty and right to protect their wildlife as they deem fit and if you want to enter the park, you and the rest of us will have to conform to the regulations laid down now.

Definitely! No two ways about it! Here in Gauteng we even have to have a copy made of our ID when buying a gift card at a certain shopping centre. It is nothing new to us. :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 am

With respect photogirl16, if you will not allow your documents to be scanned at a SANParks gate, then sadly you will not be visiting any of their parks again, because from tomorrow it will become mandatory to do so. :cry:

Like others who have commented before me, I am a bit bewildered by your comment. :hmz:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Photogirl16, what will you do if the official says "If you will NOT, repeat NOT let me scan your ID, I will NOT, repeat NOT allow you to enter Kruger?
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Jan van Wyk
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year - KNP Kruger Campfire Award (2016)
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2015)

Unread post by Jan van Wyk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 pm

We were visiting the Park last week as day visitors and had first hand experience of the scanning process.

Think it is a great idea because they have now data of every vehicle entering and leaving the part plus the drivers ID. Also no drivers without a valid licence can entered the parks. :dance: :dance:

The only problem was the time to get in and out, specially in the afternoons with cars waiting over 1/2 an hour to get out again.

The only suggestion to may be speed up the process would be to open/use both gates during rush hours early morning and when the gates closed.

Personally I think this will have a positive impact on the poaching :thumbs_up:

Just my humble opinion........ :hmz:

Photogirl6

Unread post by Photogirl6 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:46 am

Thank you all for your contributions to this.

As mentioned before, I certainly do agree on measures being taken to stop poaching and have always gladly shown my ID and allowed my car to be searched but I do need my privacy protected so after more than 40 years, I will no longer support KNP.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:37 am

Photogirl6 wrote:Thank you all for your contributions to this.

As mentioned before, I certainly do agree on measures being taken to stop poaching and have always gladly shown my ID and allowed my car to be searched but I do need my privacy protected so after more than 40 years, I will no longer support KNP.

That is your choice.

Sanparks actually has little choice. If they did not tighten up on security, those very vulnerable rhinos would be poached to extinction.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “Kruger National Park”