Skip to Content

Travelling Alone in the Park

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Travelling Alone in the Park

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Welcome to the Forums, Omega. I hope you will find your way around and enjoy "chatting" to us all and asking questions and getting answers!

Your question is interesting. I sometimes travel on my own - usually before or after doing a course or helping at a bush camp in Kruger. I also often go with my other half and have gone with one or two lady friends. I have also gone with our daughters - in fact I am going up on Monday with one daughter and grand daughter.

Each scenario is very different. I enjoy "doing my own thing" - i.e. going where I want, when I want, eating what I want, when I want etc. Then it is also lovely to have someone sitting next to me, sharing sightings, being an extra pair of eyes etc. One of the best trips was with 2 lady friends (one of whom is now dead) - we fell into a wonderful routine - I did all the planning and driving, another did all the cooking and the third did the washing up!!

I am really looking forward to showing grand daughter the joy of being in Kruger and I hope she will get some nice sightings and experiences.

I agree with arks - I often get chatting to interesting people when I am on my own. As a youngster I was incredibly shy, but now, at over 60, I have no problem going up to complete strangers and having a chat!

Omega - if I were you, I would try a short trip on your own and see how you feel about it. Try to meet other folk in camp and at the picnic spots - that breaks the monotony of being alone.

I hope you find that travelling alone can be rewarding.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

BirgitJo

Unread post by BirgitJo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Hallo, in September it will be the first time that I´m travelling alone in the park :dance:
The last times it was always with my mum. But for this time I decided that I need time for myself. I´m going from south to north and then to Mapungubwe.
Hopefully it was the right decision :hmz:
Bye Birgit

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:10 pm

I went twice in Kruger alone for three months and it was not a problem at all. Nobody want to come with me... thinking I'm a bit "disrupted" :lol:
went a lot of time for 6-7-8 weeks in the Kgalagadi alone... it's fabulous... no program, but last year my nephew comes with me :wink: 4 weeks alone and 3 weeks at 2 people :thumbs_up:

I'm ready to go again and again alone... but now my body... don't no more want to follow me :naughty:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:40 am

anne-marie wrote:I'm ready to go again and again alone... but now my body... don't no more want to follow me :naughty:

anne-marie makes a very good point here, that as you get older (and I believe that I am older than she :wink: ), travelling alone becomes more difficult. I've found that moving camp every two to three days, packing and unpacking and schlepping the bags all on my own, becomes very wearing. One solution is to stay longer in each camp, but this can be hard to do in KNP and KTP, where you're lucky indeed to be able to get more than 2-3 days at the most desireable camps. It's somewhat easier to book longer stays in the smaller, "less popular" parks. In July I spent a whole week at Mountain Zebra NP and may do so again one day as it's a park that I particularly enjoy. Also, since I travel from overseas, shorter visits to KNP and KTP are not an option. Travelling from so far, I naturally want to make the most of the time that I have to spend in the park(s), which means 2-3 weeks rather than a few days at a time.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:40 am

My trips are usually fairly short, so I quite often go on my own.

I enjoy going with family and friends, but I also find that if I do not take the occasional alone trip, I start to feel deprived.

There is something very different in being alone with your thoughts. I do see it as a spiritual retreat. The bush is for me my 'Mount Tabor', a place of silent awareness.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Omega

Unread post by Omega » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:08 pm

OK - it seems that there are quite a number of people who travel to Kruger on their own and thoroughly enjoy it.

I have booked and paid (so I cannot chicken out) for a three night stay in Kruger. Cannot wait to go. Thanks to all on this forum for their words of advice and even some encouragement.

Will let you know how it went when I return, and who knows, I may also become somebody who makes excuses so others cannot join me in future trips.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Well done Omega! :dance:
When is your trip booked for as you may be able to meet up with others there at the same time.
Have a look and maybe even add your dates to the topic When will I see other Yellow Ribbons in the Park
You can send a private message to Jazil who will add your dates and camps to the list.
Don't forget to tie a yellow ribbon on your drivers outside mirror, that is the way we recognize and meet other forum members along the roads. 8)
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:42 am

Omega, you will not be disappointed.

Stop sometimes and just listen to the melody nature offers. These are the moments that linger forever.

chirinda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:49 pm

When are you going, Omega? I've booked on my own for late September, with arrangements to meet up with Forumites from Austria while I am there. If you know others are going to be in the same area or camp you can always arrange to meet up.

I find being on my own is comfortable, you don't have anyone else to consider. I remember hearing a loud argument coming from a car at an intersection "I'm not going on that road ...." .

People have also said to me "aren't you afraid to be on your own?" but like others who have commented, I'm fine with my own company and I'm used to being on my own in other areas of my life. One must be sensible and careful, that's all.

Hippotragus wrote:... we fell into a wonderful routine - I did all the planning and driving, another did all the cooking and the third did the washing up!!

That's the split of responsibilities I'd like too, Mary. :D MM did the cooking one trip too, and I drove. Thanks MM. :gflower:

BirgitJo wrote:Hallo, in September it will be the first time that I´m travelling alone in the park :dance:
The last times it was always with my mum. But for this time I decided that I need time for myself. I´m going from south to north and then to Mapungubwe.
Hopefully it was the right decision :hmz:
Bye Birgit

Enjoy, Birgit. I am very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that you are going to Mapungubwe. What are your dates in September?

BirgitJo

Unread post by BirgitJo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Hallo chirinda, from 12. - 15. it is LS in a tent with view :dance: , then 2 nights Tamboti, 2 nights outsisde, 19. - 22. Shingwedzi,
22. - 25. Punda Maria (tent) and then 3 nights Leokwe. After that going back home :(
Till know I didn`t post a lot. Do you think it is ok if I put a yellow ribbon on ??

Bye Birgit

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Definitely put a yellow ribbon on your car mirror. :dance:
You never know who you might meet.
Wishing you a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:

Gerhardd
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Gerhardd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:42 am

Will be spending 3 nights in October at Pretoruiskop.

If you see a Hilux that looks like a bush (camoflage wrapping) come say "hallo" :mrgreen:

Gerhardd
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Gerhardd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:36 am

RosemaryH wrote:BirgitJo you can put more than just a yellow ribbon on your car, if you like see here

Hope you have a wonderful time :gflower:

:mrgreen: gerhardb - camoflage wrapping, who are you trying to hide from :wink:

Rose,

Actually I stand out more and everbody see me... lol

But camo (natural colors) is my favorite colors and a lot better than white... :lol:

Gerhardd
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Gerhardd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:04 am

RosemaryH wrote::thumbs_up: gerhardb I will have to phone and chat to reservations just to see that. :hmz: :lol:
Looks good :D

You are welcome to come and have a look. :D

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:39 am

BirgitJo wrote:Hello Rose,

it would be great to have some of these things, but I think there is no chance to buy something in the park, or ??

Birgit Jo, I don't thing that they are available in the shops yet. I have frequently left my yellow ribbon at home and had to compromise.

This is one that worked quite well. A yellow duster on my son's car.

Return to “Kruger National Park”