Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Excellent Meat in Kruger

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:49 am

I would agree Chacma, a vast improvement in recent times. :dance:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks for posting Chacma. I agree 100 percent. :thumbs_up:

In the past, I would always buy outside the Park before entering. I am now happy to rely on the Park's shops.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: The Parks Shop

Unread post by Stark » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:16 am

Hi all, how are the shops stocked for cutlery? I'm also in the market for a good directors or camp chair.

So glad to hear the prices are down and the quality is up! I'm happy to purchase my food in the park.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 am

Hi Stark, I cannot say that I have seen camp chairs. There are small packs of cutlery though. They are quite adequate, especially since you will be traveling back to the States.

I am not sure which gate you are planning to use, but it would be easy to pop into one of the Malls to pick up a camp chair and possibly a cooler box.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:20 am

I see you are also debating flying in or driving from Jhb...... If you fly in, choose KMIA rather than Skukuza as you would have a wider range of hire car firms to choose from.

And whichever you do, go to Makro on the edge of Nelspruit. Easy to get to from the by-pass or the airport and easy to get back to the by-pass to drive to Malelane gate. They will have a good range of camping things like chairs, cutlery, at reasonable prices, and you can get some groceries too. You will need to go to customer services and get a membership card, but it is a simple process. Otherwise Checkers at Riverside Mall (also on the edge of town and easy to access) also has some chairs etc and groceries of course.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Koen

Unread post by Koen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:40 am

Josh of the Bushveld wrote:The only thing I take when I go to Kruger is meat and cheese (I keep Kosher, so can't buy these things there.........

I am continually impressed at the range stocked by the shops in the camps as well as the hours they're open (which might also contribute to higher prices?)

Im bumping this up because we might need to do some shopping in the Park, primarily for things like meat and cheese in fact but also eggs, milk, yoghurt.... anything fresh.

Im wondering when you were last in the Kruger and what so impressed you by the shops general "range". We were there year before last and the shops had nothing. They weren't sold out as such but what little they stocked food wise was altogether ridiculous. The meat was absolutely awful, much of it freezer burnt and there was hardly any fruit and veg and what little they had like the odd tomato was appalling quality. Not even things like pumpkin, gem squash, potatoes the things that one could reasonably consider logical long life stuff to stock. In fact there is nothing logical about the stock at all even the curios are abysmal.

Only thing they do reasonably well are books which I am always happy to pay over the odds for if I see something new or special that catches my eye or that I don't already have in my library.

How do you keep your meat and cheese fresh in the Kruger logistically speaking? We are stopping in Nelspruit to do some shopping but our first night is catered so we cant buy fresh in Nelspruit, the second is a bush camp so we need groceries to take with us, third and fourth bush camp same then last two again catered. Doesn't your meat go off constantly thawing and the cheese turn all soft and sweaty if not entirely inedible?
We don't even have a cooler box as we are arriving, driving, directly from from Oliver Tambo, but we could buy one in Nelspruit but in Kruger's December temps Im not sure this will be of much use anyway. Last time it was close to 40%C for much of the time! Yah hot.

Can you tell me the better shops for groceries so we can plan a bit ahead please. Basics like coffee and tea, tinned goods, sugar, condiments, salt and pepper that sort of thing we will get in Nelspruit, absolutely no need for basics from the shops at all, just for fresh produce that you can't keep.

Im so excited :) I don't mind starving but children are a different story. I also don't see much about the catering in the Kruger on the forum has this perennial crisis been solved already? Would be very convenient if it was. Anywhere recommended for Christmas dinner? And what can we expect. I will make a separate thread on this one anyway.

Koen

Unread post by Koen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:45 am

Chacma wrote:Hats off to the official KNP butcher!
We have been sampling his wares for over a month now, and with another fortnight to go I am delighted to report that everything we have eaten has been of excellent quality: tender, flavourful and reasonably priced.
Keep up the good work Oom Kallie!

Oooh that sounds promising. Where is his butcher shop? Do they do game?

Travelstory

Unread post by Travelstory » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi!
For the last two years I have been able to find camp chairs in the park. I am flying from the States so cannot bring one. I have found them at Lataba and at Satara shops. Hopefully they now all carry them.

Also - it is correct that if you fly into KMIA as opposed to Skukuza airport you will have more rental car options but then you must drive the N4 which I hate personally. I prefer to fly into Skukuza and hire a car from Avis. You can prebook the car on their web site.

The shops have been upgraded and have really nice stocks of food and other needs. Of late I have found that once in the park there have been no needs to leave for any reason until it's sadly time to fly back to the States.

Enjoy your trip.
Danaa

Return to “Kruger National Park”