Skip to Content

Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
gjorgi

Re: Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread post by gjorgi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:10 am

Hi everyone!! I am quite surprised that no one has mentioned this siting at Satara as I know some other forumites also saw it. Late May 2012 (can't remember exact date)....maybe after 21:00 somewhere (you guessed it, can't remember exact timeas well!!) I was still chatting away with friend next to the camp fire in the Satara campsite when all hell broke loos next to the fence close to the western corner of the camp. An old emaciated lioness had caught a wildebeest calf against the fences and had it's hind quarters in her claws and jaws while two or three hyenas had the calf by the head. At the same time one or two hyenas kept biting the lioness on the flanks. She was a sorry sight and in the end lost her meal. At one stage it even looked as if the hyenas were considering her for dessert. All this happend about 2m from the fence with onlookers taking photos, shining spotlights etc etc. It's times like these when you realise just how wild it is out there and that a meek little begging hyena transforms into a ferocious killer at a drop of a hat and that the weak will never last long. Oh, and Mattib, I think the old lioness definately used the fence to catch that calf.

PantoffelSlippers

Unread post by PantoffelSlippers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Great thread

Not much luck myself so far at night in the camps but I do have a few:

Regular hyaena at satara
Honey badger at satara
Leopard from inside berg-en-dal
Genet at berg- en-dal (with pics!!)
Civet at lower sabie

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 pm

hyaena at different camp fences
hippo & buff at Lower Sabie
honey badgers satara
African Wild cat satara
Genet punda maria and berg en dal
And a scops at satara/lower sabie.

Sheenaugh-Lee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sheenaugh-Lee » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I have had plenty of success next to camp fences impala, varkies, bush babies, bats, scorpion, hyenas, rhino's, bush buck, crocodile, giraffes
but I've got to say my most memorable was last Christmas we were in Berg n dal and just got back in before the gates closed me being me I had to walk along the fence to get any last glimpses of animals before the sun descended
so off i went i was alone on the trail and near the water i saw a massive croc lying on the sand dune while staring at the croc i heard a bunch of guinea fowl and the next minute i saw an ear twitching in the bush.
i couldn't believe my luck but their standing in all his pristine glory was a gorgeous leopard.
I was so excited and at the same time nervous that i only had a fence between us but OMW it was amazing anyhow so here im standing alone adrenaline pumping and Im dying to tell somebody what is standing right next to me and nobody came till about 15 min later when I saw an old lady coming along and told her lol well needless to say by the time she had phoned her sons the whole tented area of Berg n dal was their to see the leopard my camara isn't of the greatest and because of lighting i couldn't get a pic.
how disappointing anyways after deciding to leave the crowds to my sighting I walked back to the shops and on arriving their they were having a movie that night all about leopards for the folks, me being me i laughed and told them if they wanted to see a real leopard they should follow the trail theirs one next to the fence in 1 second flat every person their ran to the sighting leaving the poor ranger showing the movie standing alone with no one left to show his movie to hahaha it was classic! :D
Im still In LOVE with my Kruger!

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

chukhamila

Unread post by chukhamila » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Leopard walking in the Timbavati river bed at Tamboti, with the baboons going mad in there usual tree.
Kruger Park

Skukuza 13-15Feb2013
Tamboti 15-17Feb2013

Kruger is where the heart is...

Gilbertr14

Re: Animals in camps

Unread post by Gilbertr14 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm

In 80's there was a resident Leopard in the staff camp in Skukuza.
He could be heard at night on the roofs.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Some of the more 'modern' camps have been built with as little a 'footprint' as possible, and bush within the camp has been untouched, like Mopani and Tamboti.

It is posible, and even probable that there are animals, especially nocturnal ones, hiding up in this bush. I have seen pics on the forum of a serval in Mopani visiting a braai.

I suppose it is dangerous to humans, but they seem to go for their natural prey first. There was a leopard shot in Letaba a few years ago. It had walked down the 'main' road past people and was stalking a bushbuck.

Also a few years ago, at Timbavati picnic site, friends we took there the previous day returned to see leopard run across the crowded site to take out a bushbuck in front of their eyes.

But there have been people taken as well.

I suppose nobody checks the gate(s) 24/7 and maybe there are small holes in the fence.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm

ww29 wrote:Hi all

Yesterday some on Kruger latest sightings posted a photo of a hyena in front of their braai in the Satara guesthouse. I have just seen now a photo of a leopard by one of the huts in Mopani camp. The photo was taken around 11am this morning and posted on Latest Kruger sightings Facebook page.

Are animals in the camps becoming a more 'regular' occurrence? I imagine that a leopard ins potentially quite dangerous if confronted? Not sure if the camp manager of Mopani was told of the incident - will see if I can find out more info.

Thanks
WW29

It was reported to camp management.......... :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

kellyee21

Unread post by kellyee21 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:34 am

Wow, we left Mopani on May 1 so just missed the leopard by one day. We did have AWC in the camp at Satara which was great. We were out on our usual night stroll after dinner in the camp when we spotted the AWC run past. My partner was unfazed and said, "it's just a cat !". I said yeah it's a cat, an African WILD cat. He thought it was someones pet, lol. To his defense, it looks just like a dometic cat. Same walk I found a blue waxbill sleeping on a bush. So close I could have picked it up. His head was tucked under and partner thought it was dead until he lifted his head to take a peek at us. Also hyena but they were on the other side of the fence.

Some of my favorite moments from the trip had to do with animal encounters in the camps. Honey Badgers in Tamboti, naughty monkeys in many places, a huge hairy spider living in the recycle bin at Lower Sabie, tons of little frogs in the shower and on teh fridge at LS, and the huge lizard behind our fridge in Mopani that when we stepped closer to get a better look suddenly jumped out trying to catch a cricket with his long tongue, sending us both jumping backwards at least 5 meters ! Then there was the elephant at the toilets at Mlondozi Dam !

I can't wait to go back !

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Last year early October during the short school holiday, I camped in Berg and Dal and the one evening the foot steps in the bush turned out to be a honey badger!! Was great to see one of those again. :dance:

Evel

Leopard in Biyamiti Camp?

Unread post by Evel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I stayed in Biyamiti this long weekend and there was a report from the people staying in unit 1 that they saw a leopard in camp while they were on a walk along the fence on Sunday morning. The rangers told us they were setting up a cage trap in the afternoon to catch the leopard. They were patrolling the camp the whole day and told all visitors to stay close to their chalets. Has anybody got any news or updates on this as I'm interested to know if they caught the leopard? :hmz:

Stephens.L
Guru
Guru

Re: Leopard in Biyamiti Camp?

Unread post by Stephens.L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 am

Dear Evel

Indeed, it is true that the leopard was spotted at Biyamiti bushcamp on Sunday morning. The section ranger was called to set up a trap. Rangers are busy searching the camp day and night to trace the animal. We will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Regards

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Leopard in Biyamiti Camp?

Unread post by Mfezi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Duke Ellieton wrote:A visitor got the fright of his life when taking an early morning walk and coming face to face with a leopard. The leopard growled, turned around and moved away.

SANParks staff handled the situation very well informing us on what is going on and what precautionary measures to take.

Now that is what I will call a rude awakening!! :roll: Glad all turned well for animal and human...

Melman

Unread post by Melman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

A few years ago we had a lovely river view bungalow at Crocodile Bridge. My girls were a lot younger and we all were sharing a 4 bedded unit. While I braai'd my wife visited the bathroom, on her return she informed me that a snake had shedded it's skin in the shower - "get rid of it before your daughters see it or none of us will sleep tonight!". So I ambled into the bungalow and headed for the bathroom. On the ledge up near the thatch the shedded skin was visible - a little out of my reach I used the braai tongs to retrieve the offending item - little did I know the snake had not quite finished shedding itself and was still attached to the bit I had just grabbed - :big_eyes: - The sundowners I had earlier disappeared as quickly as the "70 foot black mamba - thats the type of snake it was and I'm sticking to that story."

I returned to the braai trying to act all cool and tried to gain my composure. "Is it gone?" - "Yes dear I replied".
I spent a nervous sleepless night lying in bed with a torch scanning the thatch above me from time to time....

Letaba 22nd Sep
Mopani 23rd
Satara 24th
Lower Sabie 25,26

Yippeee !!

:lol:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm

A good torch is essential in Kruger. In Punda Maria at the Safari tents there are many night animals to be seen. Hyenas – Satara along the fence, also Letaba and Shingwedzi. It would be creepy to walk round in Kruger in the night without a torch.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Return to “Kruger National Park”