Skip to Content

To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:27 pm

I wouldn't mind camping , but hubby violently opposed to it. I think he might put up with a 4x4 caravan, but defninitely not a small tent!

EJ - you are very brave to take on a roof-top tent. I fell off a small step- ladder a few years ago and shattered my ankle (just before a planned KTP trip, which had then to be cancelled). I wouldn't trust myself not to repeat that accident!

Camping is much cheaper than the rondavels/huts/cabins in all the parks and one can stay for several days for the cost of one night in the other accommodation.

I have a small tent and most of the other camping equipment, so would be keen to try the Nyarhi camping experience one day.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Hippotragus wrote:I have a small tent and most of the other camping equipment, so would be keen to try the Nyarhi camping experience one day.

Maybe we can get a group of 'newbies' and 'not sure' together and help each other adapt? Nyahri is a great way to try as the group is small......8 guests, and there are 3 armed guides and SANParks Honorary Ranger hosts to assist and advise as well.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Great idea EJ!
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:25 am

My vote on this question would be......
Camping, definatley camping :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
its so relaxing and easy going...
I am an avid camping fan indeed :lol:

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leervis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:39 am

Camping - camping - camping. And these are my reasons. Cost wise it is a no brainer. R260.00 a night compared to R1000.00+++++ A tent, is a totally sealed environment, this means that if you are careful when entering, no insects at all! There is no doubt that camping takes you closer to nature, you feel a part of it all, rather than a spectator Campers are more friendly and will almost always come over for a chat.
13 January Letaba
14 - 16 January Balule
17 January Tsendze
18 - 20 January Punda Maria

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

Dan

Unread post by Dan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:42 pm

I"ll camp every day if I could. Not just for the fact that you actually feel closer to nature, lets face it you hear a lions roar much better through canvass than concrete and bricks and the noise of an air conditioner! :shock: Much cheaper obviously. Campers are also some of the nicest people on Gods green earth. Must be cause you share everything, even the loo.... :lol: They're a very close knitted community, always like to "kuier" where ever they are, the female ablutions is most probably one of the biggest chat rooms ever invented :tongue: , and if anything breaks or gets damaged, if its a car or a caravan wheel or in some cases a non-compliant neighbor there is always a hundred hands ready to help out. And then there is always the tasting of each others dishes and drinks, swopping of recipes and tips and sightings and you name what. Only time you'll find more than one man in the communal kitchen doing the dishes after dinner. :redface: :wall: For any new camper out there, you just need to camp once to get all the advice in the world you need to be a expert the second time around. And if you forget something, there is always some one around that have an extra something lying about that you can borrow, even if its for a day or two. And if you're worried about getting wet, you haven't camped until you got washed or blown away at least once. Its part of the fun!! :thumbs_up:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Enjoy your camping campers! I prefer the chalets/huts whatever you want to call it. People in the chalets are just as friendly as campers claim to be, and I feel just as close to nature in the chalet as you in your tents, because I know what is out there. :D :dance: :dance:

Dan

Unread post by Dan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Ha Hilda, you're just scared hubby will blow his pension by buying a caravan with a satellite dish and a flat-screen tv, one of those double wheel beauties that's twice as long as the suv.... :lol: They even have dishwashers in them, did you know? :tongue: :twisted:

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Dan, every point you mention is absolutely spot on! :thumbs_up:

We used to own a caravan and miss it terribly and miss the friendliness of of all the campers. :D :D
We are not very keen on camping in a tent and find the constant packing up, to move on to another camp, a bit much, especially when we are only able to visit Kruger in December/Jan. It becomes a very hot and tedious operation. When we had the caravan it was easy with just the rally tent, ground sheet and some chairs etc. With a tent it is a whole 'house' full to pack up and move on. I must be getting old because I do like my comfort these days :lol:

We now take the best option and that is to stay in Safari Tents where possible and in camps where they are not available, we take a chalet, but very rarely use the aircon, tending to use the fan with all the windows open, for the very reason that you mentioned.

Washed and blown away?? We got the T-shirt and is probably the main reason why we no longer camp. Nothing worse than packing up wet, muddy gear. :lol: :lol:

If we won the lotto, maybe we would buy an off road caravan, and the car to go with it :D :D and we would be chatting with you, around the fire with a few glasses of something, in Kruger of course :thumbs_up: but for now the safari tent does us fine, we do not have to pack it up and we can still chat in the ablutions and round the fires with others, :D :D
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Dan

Unread post by Dan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:39 pm

#Tessa G

I'll pray that the lotto come soon, don't worry we hope for the same! What I didn't tell Hilda is that after every camping trip we always book a luxury hut for the last evening, just to rest from all the packing up and so on, and to get use to sleeping in a proper bed again, or whatever excuse comes in handy. :lol: And since we camped we can afford a little treat, don't you think?? 8)

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Tessa G wrote:We are not very keen on camping in a tent and find the constant packing up, to move on to another camp, a bit much,

Exactly my reason Tessa G! Apart from being old, I think I am too lazy! :lol: :lol:

@ Dan: A TV, flat screen or not, is a "sleeping pill" to me, unless it is a very, very interesting program, which seldom is the case. :tongue:

Let me be fair, there are a few programmes on TV that I really enjoy, but in any of the SANParks, I would consider it a sin to watch TV! It is far better to enjoy the animals, insects, and whatever you can find there, as well as the sounds of the bush than sitting glued to a TV! Not my cup of tea! :lol: :lol:

See you on Sunday! :dance: :dance:

Garyd73
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Garyd73 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:16 pm

I would never camp under any circumstances as I enjoy a comfortable bed too much not to mention probably the biggest issue and that's a lack of air-con. On our trip last month the temperature was up to 47 degrees during the day and still warm at night, I don't know how the campers slept. Obviously coming from the UK it's not as nice to go camping as in a warm country so we don't have a culture of that over here.
KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days
KNP - May 2016 - 10 Days

wrm

Unread post by wrm » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:21 pm

I was noticing things more than previous times in the Kruger, and seems most people with caravans also have aircon installed. Now I need to figure out a miniature aircon for the teardrop.

Because yes, aircon is about the only reason not to camp.

And then there are the people with their sat dishes. They might as well be camped anywhere else in the world.

To each his own I guess. We spent so little time in camp it didn't matter.

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leervis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:28 am

Garyd73 wrote:I would never camp under any circumstances as I enjoy a comfortable bed too much not to mention probably the biggest issue and that's a lack of air-con. On our trip last month the temperature was up to 47 degrees during the day and still warm at night, I don't know how the campers slept. Obviously coming from the UK it's not as nice to go camping as in a warm country so we don't have a culture of that over here.

Good points you have raised Garyd73 but let me respond. We use stretchers, aluminium, that fold out and fold away in less than 30 seconds. On top of these we have self inflating mattresses, and then super deluxe sleeping bags and I promise you this set up beets anything I have used in any accommodation in KNP.

Heat is a biggy I must admit. I too have just returned from a trip where the daytime temps. got to the mid 40's and it was not fun. Here we used portable fans that we recharge during our daytime drives but I found that when I retired to my tent at about 8.30pm it was still close to 40 and the fans brought limited relief. Because of this experience I have decided not to do another Summer trip without looking carefully at a long term weather forecast. I can handle day temps. of mid 30's, but above that is not on. We tend to do a May and late August trip and at those times camping is GREAT! Very low prices and a way to get so close to the bush.
13 January Letaba
14 - 16 January Balule
17 January Tsendze
18 - 20 January Punda Maria

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:23 am

Agree with Leervis - Summer camping is not pleasant with the heat and ...... don't forget rain (when it happens :twisted: ) We used to camp in December when the children were still at school but now only camp between April and September. Nothing beats sitting outside your tent/caravan in the evening with a glass of what-you-fancy, listening to the sounds of the bush...........yes, you can do this outside a chalet but somehow it isn't quite the same - something is missing. Having camped and 'done' chalet - we prefer camping even with the unpacking and packing as well as the odd 'incident' of rain/wind/broken poles/missing electrical lead etc etc!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Kruger National Park”