Skip to Content

To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Maddie88

Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...

Unread post by Maddie88 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanx MM! Sounds like I just have to do it! Come what may!

I need everything, yet I still owe him a xmas gift and birthday gift, so I was thinking of going to buy everything I would need for the camping and when I'm done, hand it over to him. He would choose it all though... hehehe

Things like a big tent, blow up matres, maybe one of those stretchers even, flash lights, tent lights, fold up chairs and maybe a fold up table aswel. Like I said, he's still new at it and his tagg along got him a massive flood light, some bbq utensils, a two man tent and some fold up camping chairs some time last year, and now he's addicted!

Whats the weather like that time of the year??? Does it still rain?? Will we be freezing our panties off??? :shock:
My Travel Tale: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31301&start=0

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

droopy

Unread post by droopy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi Maddie88, I think some of the safari tents that's already pitched up has got the necessary in (ie, bed, linen, utensils, fridge), so...... if you don't want to surprice your brother with all the equipment you can try and book yourself in one of those tents. And some of them I know is very well situated, Lower Sabie you have a river view, Letaba is next to the fence.
I hope you come right, if not I'm around the corner, pm me with what you need, maybe we can help :P

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by harrys » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi guys
To me camping in our caravan is tops,my kids 12 and 14 (both daughters)is just as crazy about camping as us. If I can go to Kruger every school holiday I will. A camper is ok but if you want to go game watching you must pack up and leave your camping site exept if you do like my inlaws do and pull a small car behind your camper. We dont put our tent up,all we use is our rally and we,up to now,have never had any problems. I think if you love nature and want to be part off it, camping is the one for you, you dont need all the luxuries off home, I meen you go camping to get away from the mad city live?!? :hmz:

To everyone going to KNP,KTP etc think off us staying home :mrgreen:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!
KNP: Satara 10 - 14 June 2017
KTP: November ??

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:15 am

Maddie, I went camping in May last year and the weather was perfect. I am not fond of weather, any weather, at the best of times, and this was just right.

There was enough chill to need track suit pants in the morning and evening and warm enough for lighter clothes in the day. I always take a warm jacket, regardless of the weather, I suggest you do as well.

May is one of the dry months and it is highly unlikely that you should have tro worry about rain. The only problem I had was one windy day when my tent meadanered out to visit the neighbours at Maroela. The neighbour very kindly brought it back and tied it down to the nearest tree to keep it in it's place :lol: :lol: literally and figuratively :wink:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Senyetse » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:27 am

Camping all the way! There's nothing like laying in your tent and listening to the lions roar! Sometimes it is only the neighbour snoring :lol: . But it is the cheaper option especially if you enjoy going to KNP often. The chalets are reserved for special occasions like wedding anniversaries.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by TheunsH » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 am

ndloti wrote:Image

You are running a neat camp there ndloti! :thumbs_up:
I have decided...next year we are camping again.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 am

Camping in a rustic campsite lets one commune with nature in a more intimate manner than when in a larger camp . Yes , I enjoyed being alone in my campsite , and of the 45 odd campsites at Tsendze not more than around 10 of them were occupied all 6 nights I was there . Unfortunately some noisy regulars that the attendant Rogers told me are from a nearby town invaded their favourite camsites along the fence with Mooiplaas on the first weekend I was there , but otherwise my stay was most peacefull .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am

Ndloti - Are you trying to scare the life out of me with your snake story???? Jeeperz!!! :big_eyes: Glad you escapes unharmed.... Thanx for the info and the great pic, wish our place could stay that clean when it's just the young ones, but alas, it never does.... :hmz:

Droopy - Thank you heaps!! I am thinking that maybe we should go for the Safari Tents, but they are so hard to get into! I can't really book everything at the moment as my brother is still looking what he's situation will be. He lost his job at Sanlam because of the current economic crisis and he's finding it very hard to get a new one... :cry: So I have to wait and see for how long he'll be able to go just in case our holding thumbs works.... Maybe when we are down there you should join us...??? For a cuppa??? hehehehehe

Meandering Mouse - You have been a graet help and making me look forward to it. I think I read your trip report where you and your duaghter were camping and your tent flew away, am I right??? :hmz: In May the rainy season starts in Australia and If there's anything I hate more than camping, it's camping in the RAIN!!!

Now, can any of you camping fanatics tell me what your experiences in the campsites have been in regards to SPIDERS????
My Travel Tale: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31301&start=0

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 am

Here is the link to my camping report

While I do enjoy the luxury of chalets, I much prefer camping with my caravan. I have everything I need - and more - easily available. Whenever possible I get close to the fence - you can't do that with a chalet!

And at last I have a tent too that I feel comfortable with - big enough to be roomy and stand up in, easy enough to set up on my own, and rainproof too. So when I cannot use the caravan (it is being serviced, too far to tow, etc) I can still enjoy the advantages of camping.

I confess to preferring sites with electricity, but can cope without.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am

Meandering Mouse - I remeber my brother had a tent when I was only little, and we loved camping in the back yard (we lived in Ellisras) and I loved it, coz the tiolet was near and my bed for when I get fed up... hehehehe, yet, the one night his tent got lifted off the ground, pegs and poles and the works and taken over the wall in the back yard into the bush, to never bee seen again, hehehehe!

Droopy - You must not forget your ribbon! This year will be my first year going to Kruger as a Yellow Ribbon, So exciting!!! :dance: As for those Red Roman things, I have seen them once or twice, and man, are they ugly!! I don't like the look of them. I promise I won't kill them, as long as it does not follow me...

EJ - That link does not seem to be working!! :cry: I would love to read it, I have read your TT on Needed a fix... , you are very lucky one when it somes to game viewing! Please try and post your link again??

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:56 pm

My main objection to camping is the hassle in getting it all set up and taken down again. So if your brother is prepared to do all that for you while you sit in a chair with a cold one and watch him, then go for it. :lol:
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

naomirsa

Unread post by naomirsa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Why not compromise. At least convince your friends to stay in a Safari Tent. You still have the same experience without the discomfort. The safari tents nowadays are very comfortable and some even have the WC and shower inside.
Appreciate life, don't take anything for granted.

rusky
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rusky » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 am

Hi Maddie - great thread

The Ruskys love camping and if we lived in Sth Africa (=had all our gear in Africa) we'd camp for sure. We'd possible have more nights at each location - minimum 4 - as I wouldn't want to waste heaps of time packing and unpacking.

BTW Camping to us means tents - not caravans/campertrailers.

The thought of just having a canvas tent between me and the camp hyena....gives me goosebumps. :lol:

Why don't you do a camping weekend with your brother here in Aus (PS try the area around Margaret River) and see how it pans out.

All the best
Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi
Rusky's Kruger Ramble Jun 08 - a 1st timers dream trip

Timepilot
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Timepilot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 am

Why don't you do a camping weekend with your brother here in Aus (PS try the area around Margaret River) and see how it pans out.

Or even more adventurous - take a trip up to the Karajini National Park and camp there. The camp sites are fairly basic but the gorges etc are beautiful to walk around. IF you can set up a decent camp site there then you could camp anywhere.

Rusky, I agree with you - camping is tents not caravans IMO. Going out on conservation hunts I sling the tent in the back of the bakkie and set myself up wherever we are :)
“ Every year elephants were becoming scarcer and wilder south of the Zambezi, so that it had become impossible to make a living by hunting at all. ” FC Selous 1881

Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 am

Ok, I'm so ready for camping nhow it's not even funny anymore! Thanks all!!

Saraf - I have to agree with you, but on the other hand, my brother better put everything up for me as I will be the one docking up the cash for his visit to the park! I'll be sitting in the sun watching the bush and supervising the campsite with a nice glass of wine in the one hand! :D

Noamirsa - I love the Safari Tents, they are great! I've stayed in them once or twice before, but my brother reckons they are to commercial. I even suggested that the boys camp and do the bush thing, the girls will find the Safari Tents/Bungalows very comfortable and the boys can come and sneak in should it get too cold, but he won't budge!! He wants to "toughen me up" as he call it.... :roll:

Rusky - Funny story!! Last year easter weekend a Danish friend and I decided to go down to Albany for the weekend and I couldn't find accomodation ANYWHERE apart from camping sites! So, what did I do, I went to BCF and bought a massive tent, heaps of lights, a blow up matress the works! It was a good weekend, but the camping just didn't work for me! It rained (as it always does in Albany) and it got so messy.... Yet, it was one of the best weekends I've had in Australia! :tongue: If you know what I mean... hehehe

Camping to me means you have a canvas tent, a few fold up chairs and not much light. No toilets at hand and no radio, tv or any luxuries. So, caravans don't count, but I don't camp so it would be lovely in a camper van. I asked around a bit, and they won't rent us one because we are not over 26!! :big_eyes: So, there I go. Shot down! hehehe

Return to “Kruger National Park”