Skip to Content

What is so very special about Kruger Park?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Sparrow
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: What is so very special about Kruger Park?

Unread post by Sparrow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Kruger itself
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

19/12/16 to 24/12/16 Satara
25/12/16 to 27/12/16 Skukuza
28/12/16 to 31/12/16 Croc Bridge

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:19 am

No where in the world can you find such magical sunsets, big old tees and all sorts of creatures great and small to entertain you and release the stress of the modern world.
Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Cerberus

Unread post by Cerberus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Without going through the whole thread I imagine someone has mentioned this already, but its that soft crunch of the gravel from the tyres... as you inch your way closer to your "photographic" prey...

MarkusF
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MarkusF » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Don't think I can narrow it down to something specific.

Is it the smell of the thatch, the unexpected sighting when you turn a corner, the adrenaline when caught in an elephant roadblock on a narrow road, dancing flames of the braai fire at night, the feeling you get that something is watching you when at night you walk along the fence, the solitude with no other human around at a waterhole while watching life goes by or is it that bar of soap?

After all the years visiting, the feeling is still the same and when we enter the gate, it grips your whole being. Suddenly time doesn't matter anymore (except for gate times) and it is just you and mother nature.

For me Kruger will never reveal her true magic, just bit by bit to have us coming back for more.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:21 pm

It is the anticipation of making your booking, drawing up of lists, stocking up, packing. The day before we leave for the Kruger is the craziest day in our household. We collect the trailer (a hired one), we take our beloved Coco (cat) to the cattery, we pack the trailer with almost everything except the cooler boxes. We hardly sleep, we leave Edenvale at app. 4.30 am. We are a very close family (all 3 of us), we all love the Kruger. The trip going to Kruger is always filled with talking and laughter, we stop at Tzaneen (Spur) for breakfast and as we approach our beloved Kruger we tend to stop talking and I think the excitement and anticipation of our holiday becomes a reality. We always have a "prize" for the person who spots the first animal (Impala excluded). The Kruger is so special because not only are we on holiday away from the rat race but it is also exciting because one never knows what you are going to see or when you are going to see it. It is also special because we make a fire every night and we cook together and just have lots of family time without telephones ringing or TVs blaring in the background. The thought of something watching you while you are looking through the fence into the darkness (specially at Tamboti) is so very, very exciting. The Kruger park holds thousands of special memories for me, from the sound of our tyres when entering through the Phalaborwa gate (my favourite of all the gates), to the smell of the shops, to the smell of the tents/huts, to the feel of the sheets, to the smell of the new day as the sun rises, to the smell of the early morning bush, that is what is so special about the Kruger :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:51 pm

I see Duques started this off on 5 November 2008, have not seen all the pages yet but judging by the amount of posts and pages, and some of the posts: It is a place that is indescribable, many things to many people.
Kruger holds a special place in many peoples hearts and lives and even in death (memorial benches and other special places for our past on fellow Krugerparkers )
There is no place anywhere in the world remotely close to Kruger, it gets under your skin and sucks you in.
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:32 am

1) The respect that most visitors to the Kruger National Park still has for the nature and the animals
2) The classic Kruger accommodation
3) Stunning Amazing Shingwedzi
4) The everlasting silence
5) The excitement at the entrance gate waiting to enter the Kruger National Park
6) Planning for the Return
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:45 am

Agreed.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 156 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Just back from 4 nights in Serengeti...

Heard Saffies talking on the plane to OTambo... Kruger can't compare with Serengeti... etc.

It is true. Kruger does not have more than a million wildebeest, hundreds of thousands of zebras, hartebeest and migrations, nor magical hot air balloon rides...

Kruger is also much tamer than Serengeti. We camped with NO fences anywhere, lions and hyenas in camp regularly, a toilet 70m away in tall grass, no electricity, cold showers..., no tar roads, banks, restaurants, swimming pools, doctors etc.

Day one: Early morning drive on vast open plains. Thousands of gazelles, hyenas running around... 2 cheetahs in the distance. Many little dirt roads and loops, so we got close to them and spent 1 hour with them. Tommies gazelles about 500m away. We park there with 7 other vehicles. Cheetahs catch gazelle 30m from us, it escapes and gets caught 3x. They leave it panting on the ground while checking for predators... then eat it in front of 10 vehicles. NOBODY RACING AROUND, PUSHING IN FRONT OF OTHERS etc.
Drive some more and find buffalo, zebra, giraffe in huge numbers, 3 lions sleeping in grass... stop at airstrip for admin. While in toilet, look out window and see 3 lioness about 60m away fighting over a kill. People stand out in open watching them. No fences. After lunch drive delivers thousands of animals, leopards in trees, lioness viewing prey from dead tree...
Day 2: Early drive find lonely lioness hunting 2 cheetahs. She stalks them and gets to within 30m. The cheetah snarls and runs away. They sit about 50m from lioness and Tommie gazelle runs right between the lot of them... lioness clears off and cheetahs come down to drink in Seronera river, then play among cars for 30 min. 5 min later 8 lions lying on riverbank. Lone hippo approaches. They stalk him, but he charges right through pride into shallow water. Lions relax. Hippo runs away. 10 min later 100 buffalo come for drink and chase lions right among cars... lol. Drive to picnic spot. Find huge traffic jam (30 vehicles). Leopard walks right up to our car window, looks at us and walks off. Cars drive to next road and story repeated again...

This story happens every day. Last year we saw 2x that amount of predators. This trip we saw at least 6 hunting attempts by lions etc.

But don't tell me Serengeti is better than Kruger.

The roads in Serengeti = ATROCIOUS! Only 4x4, and then you better feel sorry for your vehicle.
NO FAMILY TRIPS in Serengeti -- saw 2 private vehicles in 4 days...
You had better be rich or be blessed by somebody who loves you a lot -- this place is expensive.
NO CAMPS like Pretoriuskop etc. Only rich lodges and very basic public campsites.

Kruger has become to many South Africans and a lot of overseas visitors, a very special, affordable, user friendly way of interacting with what Africa used to be like, of spending quality time with family and friends in the bush, of escaping from the stresses of daily work... and all of this is affordable. I book into the cheapest accommodation for 2-3 weeks in December, and find rest for my soul.

God willing, I will be back there again this coming Xmas.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:41 pm

I have been to many National Parks, each has it's own charm, Kruger is special, so is Chobe, so is Etosha, so is Wankie, so is Matusadona, so is Mana Pools, so is Kgalagadi and the rest of our RSA National Parks, so is Serengeti, so is Manyara, so is the Ngorongoro Crater, so is Great Zimbabwe, so is Matobo, so is Mt Meru and so I can continue, it is never only about the big 5, it is the experience and the wonder of nature that makes them all so very special.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 156 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:50 pm

GLSmit said:
it is never only about the big 5, it is the experience and the wonder of nature that makes them all so very special.

You could not have said it better.

Each one has something unique.

But I think Kruger is HOME to so many people... and our very own piece of paradise.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:54 pm

gmlsmit wrote:...it is never only about the big 5, it is the experience and the wonder of nature that makes them all so very special.

Gmlsmit :thumbs_up: so true. :D
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:36 pm

The animals and the experiences with family there. Just has a special meaning and atmosphere to me.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:16 am

It is HOME and my Happy Place
It is where I find peace for my soul
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Shingwedzi 24-27 December 2016
Tamboti 28 to 30 December 2016
Olifant's 31 December 2016
Skukuza 01.01.2017 :clap: Lake Panic

Karin Mitton
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:30 pm

I haven't been to any of the other major big 5 places in Africa, so cannot compare Kruger to anything but Kruger
But if you had to ask me what is so special about Kruger Park, my answer would be "Everything"

Nkulu wrote:It is where I find peace for my soul

That is the reason I call my annual trip my "therapy session"

Return to “Kruger National Park”