Skip to Content

Animal sounds at night

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Philippa

Lions roaring at night

Unread post by Philippa » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:41 pm

I love the Kruger park and we spent some holidays there during my childhood. I remember hearing lions roaring and hyenas cackling / laughing (whatever the sound is called that they make :redface: ) Last year we spent 5 nights in Pretoriuskop and we didn't even hear lions roaring once. And a hyena only once early one morning. Is it just our bad luck, what is your experience with the night sounds in camp? As a child it was both exciting and terrifying lying in bed and hearing the lions roar at night.

That said we're spending 4 nights in Skukuza and 2 in Berg en Dal this school holidays and I'm really holding thumbs that we will hear them this time. :thumbs_up:
27 June 2015 - 30 June - Skukuza
1 July - 2 July - Lower Sabie
3 July - 4 July - Satara
5 July - 6 July - Letaba

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Animal sounds at night

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:20 am

Csmoothe1.. all the signs of bush addiction. :wink:

AndreaB wrote:When we stayed in the LS safari tents in May, we heard hyaena, baboons and hippos without fail every evening. On our final morning we awoke to the sounds of a nearby lion roaring his heart out, it literally made the hairs on my neck stand on end....

One of the reasons I just love the tents. 8)
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by moobox » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 am

The sounds - as much a reason for me to be there as the sights. I have a Zoom field recording device which I take along with me. And at night set it outside to record for a while. Last time was at Skukuza and so didnt get much done. The guy next door had a rolling baritone conversation tone at the fire well into the night and I didnt want that. Next week at Tamboti for a few nights and I will use it then. Not that I know what the heck I'm hearing most of the time but anyway, it's good.

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Just one of the special times of the day in Kruger is when you have returned to camp and sitting around the fire with the soft murmur of fellow visitors and the glow of all the camp fires in your circle.

I recall on a visit to Shimuwini many years ago getting back to camp and sitting listening to the raucous end of the day excitement of the birds in the reeds in front of our hut and then there was silence and not many moments later those special night sounds of crickets and frogs etc started. Frank Watts, the camp manager at the time, called that moments silence between daytime and the evening 'when the bush takes its breath'. Very special and something that I often listening out for.
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:48 pm

'when the bush takes its breath'

Beautiful description, thanks for sharing, Tessa G.
aquila non capit muscas

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:54 pm

A beautiful description :thumbs_up: and probably very true :)

One of my favourite times of the day in Kruger too.
Rose

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:34 pm

I love the sounds of the bush at night.
But always associate the following camps with the following animals

Skukuza: Bats, Hippo
B n D: Leopard
Satara: Hyena,Lion
Lower Sabie: Hippo, Elephant
Olifants: The sound of the River

Amazing lying in the bungalow at night and listening to the call of the wild :mrgreen:

RondaGreen

Unread post by RondaGreen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 pm

I'll be almost two weeks in KNP in June. Does the cold of winter inhibit the animals much, or am I still likely to hear some calls at night? I'll be at Skukuza, Tamboti, Satara, Pretoriuskop and Lower Sabie. btw I thought baboons were strictly diurnal, but I see comments about them making noises at night, and I've heard some inhabit the camp at Tamboti: am I likely to meet any on my way to the facilities at night?
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Rhonda, you will still definitely hear animal sounds and calls at night, Hyena, Lion roars, Owls, Bushbabies, all sorts of sounds.
I wouldn't worry about Baboons being out and about during the night, they would be staying safe in their trees, altho could still occasionally call if they hear or see something that concerns them.

RondaGreen

Unread post by RondaGreen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Sounds great! I expect the nights will be long and cold in June, but I'll look forward to listening to the calls while well rugged up.
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 pm

The thinner your walls, the greater the chance of hearing sounds. I was in Mountain Zebra NP this week and heard the spotted eagle owl at 5h45!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Surprisingly, in December last year, we had the most chilling sounds (not at Tamboti or Croc Bridge) at Skukuza, of all places. A pack of hyenas grabbed an impala against the fence at the safari tents, and screamed, howled and giggled for at least 20 minutes on and off right next to the fence... scary stuff!
Wish I had a good recording of it to play on my next photography tour so the school kids can eperience it too, lol!
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

RondaGreen

Unread post by RondaGreen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 am

I stayed in two safari tents, one in Tamboti and one at Lower Sabie, and heard both lion and hyena during the night in both places, which was great (and saw both close by as well, while driving myself early in the morning and during a night drive. I saw and heard my first bushbabies on the sunset drive also (after dark). Unfortunately, on one of my nights in Tamboti I also heard a young couple in a neighbouring tent for almost an hour arguing very loudly as to how much he had or hadn't been drinking, whether he was ever going to find Jesus the way she had etc. (I almost felt like calling out and suggesting they look for Him a bit further away or at least more quietly).

Return to “Kruger National Park”