Skip to Content

staying outside the park in July

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
jochen

staying outside the park in July

Unread post by jochen » Mon May 01, 2017 2:43 pm

hello all,

we are a family with two children, 18 and 15 and we will be in south Africa this summer and will visit KNP beginning of July. As there is no accommodation inside the park, we will have to stay outside. we thought about staying in Hazyview, as that was recommended by a friend. The idea is, to visit the park for three days.

- do we have to buy online tickets in advance or will there be tickets available at the gate?
- is three days ok for first time visitors?
- is hazyview a good location to stay outside of KNP?
- is there anything else we should know?

thanks in advance.

jochen

Elsa

Re: staying outside the park in July

Unread post by Elsa » Mon May 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Jochen! :clap:

Sorry you were not able to get any accommodation in the park but as you can see July is a very busy time with the school on winter break.

Hazyview is a good place to stay and allows access to Phabeni gate and also Kruger gate as an alternative which means you can travel to the good and productive areas in the park.
Komatipoort is also a good place to stay, has many good B & B's and Crocodile bridge is one of the few gates that allows 2 queues and possible easier access.

3 days is quite a short time considering how large the park is but really only relevant if staying inside the park and one can move from camp to camp in another area.
but it will give you some idea of what it is like and perhaps you could come back at a later time for longer. 8)

You should buy your Advanced Bookings for Day Visitors as soon as possible and definitely before you arrive as they do have a daily gate quota which once reached closes the gate.
Plus I would advise you to get to the gate as early as possible to try and beat the queues.

Please do ask if there are any further questions. :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon May 01, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi Jochen. Elsa has given you very good advice. The south and south-eastern part of the Park often yields good sightings.\

Cancellations do often occur and I would keep checking the availability of accommodation inside the Park. Often, when the final deposit is due, people do not pay and the accommodation becomes available. Check first thing in the morning and check every day. As soon as you see something that suits you, book it immediately! As Elsa said, end-June/early-July is a time of South African Government School holidays, private schools' half-term and European holiday time and is therefore a popular time in the Park.

Good luck with your trip, wherever you end up staying.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 am

Hi Jochen, and a warm welcome. :gflower:

You have been given good advice. I would often stay in Hazyview when my children were younger. As Elsa stated, Phabeni and Kruger Gates are pretty close. Numbi Gate is also about 15 kms away. In my experience, Numbi has often been the least busy. We would sometimes exit at Orpen. I made it rather a long drive back to Hazyview, but it was worth the extra effort.

I would also keep looking, as Hippotragus suggested. I have often found accommodation when the final payments on bookings become due. This is two months before entrance date.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

jochen

Unread post by jochen » Tue May 02, 2017 7:15 am

Dear all.

Thanks a for your help. I am really happy about this forum which is very helpful for somebody who visits South Africa for the first time. Thanks a lot.

Jochen

:D :clap: :clap:

GabrielBGoncalves

Staying Outside Kruger Park and doing Game Drives

Unread post by GabrielBGoncalves » Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm

In July, I'll be renting a car in Johannesburg and drive until Kruger Park. However, in the dates that I´ve planned to stay in Kruger Park ther aren´t many possibilities to stay overnight inside the Park, so I´ll probably have to stay in a place outside the park. I already know that I can drive by my own inside the park, entering by any gate. However, I don´t know the answer for the following things:
-If I stay outside the park, can I still schedulle a sunset, sunrise or night game drive?
-In this website (https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/t ... ariffs.php) it's informed the possible origins for the game drives, but all of the origins are camps inside the park, except for the Crocodile Bridge Gate. Therefore, since I´ll be staying outside of the park, my doubt is, if the only option for me is to get a game drive in the Crocodile Bridge Gate, which is in the border of the park, and not inside. I have this doubt because the gates open for the general public after the sunrise game drive had alreaady started, so theoretically, if I stay outside of Kruger I would not be able to reach Skukuza Camp or Lower Sabie Camp before the departure of the sunrise game drives from this locations.

Thanks for the help.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Staying Outside Kruger Park and doing Game Drives

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi Gabriel
It is a shame that you are not finding availability inside the park at the moment, but if you check daily there are often cancellations.

If however you do need to stay outside the park, many of the gates do sunset drives for people not staying in the park.

I have been on several from Phalaborwa Gate which were very good. We drove up and parked in the car parking area. We then went on our drive which travelled well into the park, both on tar and dirt roads.............and were well worth doing. WE were then dropped back at the gate at the end, so that we could drive back to our guest house in Phalaborwa.

I know Phabeni and Croc Bridge do them as well, and I am sure others do as well...........sorry I don't actually have a list, but maybe others will post here with more info.

I do hope you can sort something out and have a wonderful trip. :dance:

GabrielBGoncalves

Unread post by GabrielBGoncalves » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks for the help, :D , good to know that I´ll be able to book accommodations outside Kruger and still be able to enjoy game drives, thanks!!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm

It was a pleasure, but do check before hand if you hoping to do a drive from a gate that I haven't mentioned, just in case that particular gate does not offer this facility.

You are going to have a wonderful time!!!! :dance: :dance:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 pm

As Crested Val has indicated you can certainly take Drives from outside the gates
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Thu May 25, 2017 9:00 am

You can also do drives from Paul Kruger Gate.

Keep checking accommodation availability - cancellations do happen, although July is Government school holidays here and a very popular time to visit the park.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

DirtTrail

Unread post by DirtTrail » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:37 pm

If you are going for 3 days I would recommend staying inside the park in the south. Keep trying the camps online for a hut or bungalow. If you don't come right you could try Nkambeni which is right at Numbi gate. It is a private camp and I have stayed there about 5 times and it is awesome. I'm going to be at Pretoriuskop, Malelane and Berg n dal in July and they are all great camps for you to try.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Jochen,

Every day there are cancellations in the park. Just check daily.

MUCH BETTER than sleeping outside and waiting in long queues...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten.
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Return to “Kruger National Park”