Skip to Content

Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
winnydpu

Re: Phone usage with a USA phone?

Unread post by winnydpu » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 pm

For what it is worth, I have a T-Mobile plan that offers free data and text from South Africa. In the park I have access to the Vodacom network, and a good transfer rates in all of the camps I stayed at. I think you could get by with a data package from your current plan, and communicate via text. It does not seem to me to be necessary to have a SA phone anymore.

If you do want a SA number, have your vendor unlock your phone, and just swap sim cards.

Still seeing plenty of yellow ribbons in the park, by the way. Have a good trip!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Yellow Ribbons? Yes! A must! We leave for Kruger on Sunday ... will be flying ours!

If you do use a local sim card, Vodacom is the best for coverage in all the camps. Being deep in the bush, signal is not always guaranteed, but it is 'on' more often than not. The issue with coming from US is the compatibility (I understand) which winnydpu has advised you on.
- Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Re WiFi - no, not as you mean; there are a couple of hot spots such as in Skukuza at Cattle Barron restaurant, and Mopani conference centre where one can hire interenet for a period. Best is to get a data sim for your phone.
- Dalene

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:03 pm

I have an unlocked phone and use a Vodacom SIM card, but then I need to communicate with people in South Africa more than with people in the US when I'm in SA. However, you have to have a US phone that is compatible with overseas systems; I gather that T-Mobile and AT&T are compatible, while Verizon and Sprint (and likely others) are not. I also use a Vodacom dongle for data for my laptop. What you need will depend on what your specific needs are.

Have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

nighthawk2

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm

We've found the best thing to do is hire a wireless modem from Vodacom.
Once a signal is established, all can connect from different devices, within a limited area like say the stoop of the hut.
Vodacom doesn't really charge a per diem, only for useage..
They do take a deposit, they refund the difference between what you used & the deposit.
You can purchase a certain amount of data, if you don't use it all, you don't get anything back.
However, if you go over, could be costly.
I believe you can purchase an additional block of data part way through.
We find it very convenient.
The Vodacom shop at the exit from the customs hall, to your right is the place to go as not all Vodacom shops have this service.
the nighthawk

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:37 am

Last time we visited SA we bought a prepaid sim bundle from [url]b4i.travel[/url] with a 30day option. we found it much easier than buying one in a shop.

All it takes is to put the sim in and the shop will adjust the settings to match. takes about ten minutes if they're busy but quicker than registering at the store.

You need to choose mix of data and calls to meet your needs. ensure it contains the ability to hotspot if you want to share via wifi.
You can buy top up data/time bundles over the air or at a vodacom shop.

Above all ensure all users turn off updates, cloud storage syncing etc which will eat your data, sometimes overnight. Monitor your data usage each day.

more importantly is to put your yellow ribbons on when you enter the park and register....
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Skylinelinda.....you already have been given great advice regarding the phone from various people.

Regardless of whether you know many people on the forum or not....the yellow ribbon is a MUST.There should be several Forumites in the Kruger to attend the Cricket at Skukuza and displaying your yellow ribbon will be a definite way to meet other people. :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Do enjoy your trip. :D :D :D
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Return to “Kruger National Park”