Skip to Content

Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Klystron
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Does Skyroam work in Kruger?

Unread post by Klystron » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:28 am

Hi, I am Elsa's spouse. I have just been on the Skyroam website and it appears that it will work in Kruger. It seems that the way it works is to find a local cellular network and log in to it. We have three main networks in SA but not a lot of towers in Kruger itself. The system will connect to one of them but they do not have the latest high speed technology that you will find in larger centers like Johannesburg etc. The net result is that if you are away from the camps it may not have a signal at all. Keeping the device on the dashboard of your car will provide the best coverage but do not leave it in the hot sun for too long.
I hope you enjoy your trip.

George_Brits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Unread post by George_Brits » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:56 pm

safarigal wrote:Sorry I am pretty clueless about the "dongle". Could some one please answer some questions for me.

1. Are you buying or renting this Dongle from Vodacom?
2. If it has to be returned, does it have to be returned to the same Vodacom shop that it was obtained from?
3. If I would be using it to check emails on my laptop and post pictures to FB, how much "air time" would I need to purchase?
4. Approximately how much would this cost?

Many thanks.

Good afternoon Safarigal!

Well to answer your questions for the above:

1. You can rent from Vodacom
2. There is an outlet at the exit of the customs hall in OR Tambo
3. Most certainly you would be able to do that, obviously your data usage would depend on the size of your uploads, you will use a lot of data if you upload a file or email a picture file in raw format, resizing it for social media would be the best as you will hardly use much data, depending on the duration of your stay, I would suggest that you go for a 2GB package, according to their website it is about $25. You can prebook it as per there website. I will email you the URL :)

Hope it helps!

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Wonderful, you have been so helpful George. Many Thanks. Just 10 more sleeps till Kruger, actually only 8 more skeeps till we fly to South Africa!!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 am

Barb15584 wrote:George,
Could I trouble you for the URL as well, please.
We will be arriving late so I had E-Mailed the store in Sandton as an alternative to stopping in the airport, but received no reply. I assume that I can get the dongle there as well. We will be in S.A. for 8 weeks, based on data in previous strings I was anticipating buying a 10 Gb package. Your thoughts???
Barb.

So far as I recall, the data packages are only good for 30 days, so you will need to replenish at the end of your first 30 days. I'd also suggest that you look into costs for the purchase of the dongle as well as for rental cost. If there's not much difference in the cost, I'd think that purchase would be easier as you'd not need to make time to return a rental item.
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

Arks makes a good point. There is supposed to be legislation that is going to change that one looses unused data after a month, but not sure when that will be implemented. Perhaps just ask when making the purchase.
- Dalene

George_Brits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Barb, no worries, I will email you the link. I think it will work out much cheaper to just purchase a once off databundle package with a wifi router but obviously you need to investigate which option is the best for you. Please feel free to ask for assistance should you require it :) :gflower:

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 am

Many thanks George,
Hopefully we can get it organised before we leave.
Barb

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Have been working with Vodacom at the airport by E-Mail (very helpful people) and can share the following:
We are purchasing (pre-purchasing actually) rather than renting as it works out cheaper for an 8 week stay.
The package includes the WIFI router, the Sim card, and 2 Gb of data. The cost is R1,499. The 2 Gb is the maximum that can be pre-purchased on the plan but is extendable at the counter, we are going for 5 Gb and see how we make out for the first 30 days. The data package is only good for 30 days as per previous Forum messages.
The package does not include airtime which can be purchased at the counter, and the consultant will activate the "International Calling Plus" at no cost.
There is a Vodacom store in Phalaborwa, which I gather goes by the name Chatz, for purchasing the next 30 day supply.
I hope that this information doesn't contravene any of the Forum rules.
Barb

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm

There used to be 2 Vodacom shops in the Phalaborwa Mall - one near the entrance and one further in, though things might have changed since we were last there in 2015. :thumbs_up:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Barb:

Glad things are working out for you with Vodacom. I have their router and it works very well. Just be warned that data speeds can often be very slow in KNP.

In Phalaborwa, you can also top up your Vodacom data SIM at the Pep store in the mall. I had to use that last time that I was there as Vodacom's system was down :roll: . Luckily, the Pep shop was almost next door to Vodacom :D

Have a great trip!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

Return to “Kruger National Park”