Skip to Content

Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Re: Phone usage with a USA phone?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Re WiFi - no, not as you mean; there are a couple of hot spots such as in Skukuza at Cattle Barron restaurant, and Mopani conference centre where one can hire interenet for a period. Best is to get a data sim for your phone.
- Dalene

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:03 pm

I have an unlocked phone and use a Vodacom SIM card, but then I need to communicate with people in South Africa more than with people in the US when I'm in SA. However, you have to have a US phone that is compatible with overseas systems; I gather that T-Mobile and AT&T are compatible, while Verizon and Sprint (and likely others) are not. I also use a Vodacom dongle for data for my laptop. What you need will depend on what your specific needs are.

Have a great trip!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

nighthawk2

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm

We've found the best thing to do is hire a wireless modem from Vodacom.
Once a signal is established, all can connect from different devices, within a limited area like say the stoop of the hut.
Vodacom doesn't really charge a per diem, only for useage..
They do take a deposit, they refund the difference between what you used & the deposit.
You can purchase a certain amount of data, if you don't use it all, you don't get anything back.
However, if you go over, could be costly.
I believe you can purchase an additional block of data part way through.
We find it very convenient.
The Vodacom shop at the exit from the customs hall, to your right is the place to go as not all Vodacom shops have this service.
the nighthawk

inyanga 1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:37 am

Last time we visited SA we bought a prepaid sim bundle from [url]b4i.travel[/url] with a 30day option. we found it much easier than buying one in a shop.

All it takes is to put the sim in and the shop will adjust the settings to match. takes about ten minutes if they're busy but quicker than registering at the store.

You need to choose mix of data and calls to meet your needs. ensure it contains the ability to hotspot if you want to share via wifi.
You can buy top up data/time bundles over the air or at a vodacom shop.

Above all ensure all users turn off updates, cloud storage syncing etc which will eat your data, sometimes overnight. Monitor your data usage each day.

more importantly is to put your yellow ribbons on when you enter the park and register....
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Barb15584

WFI

Unread post by Barb15584 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Can anyone advise as to which camps have WFI now, please.
When we were there in 2014 only Mopani offered reliable WFI. Pretoriuskop theorectically had it, but we were never successful in downloading anything. Skukuza apparently had it at the convention centre but was closed for renovations I believe.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Barb

DinkyBird

Re: WFI

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:40 pm

I agree the best option is to buy a data sim and mobile router/dongle which will mean you can connect from most camps. Signal in some camps is not that strong, and I have found Vodacom to be the most reliable. Or, if your mobile phone is compatible with SA mobile networks, you can buy a sim for that, and use it as a hotspot.

Cattle Barron (restaurant) in Skukuza do have wifi for their patrons.
- Dalene

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: WFI

Unread post by arks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 am

Barb, a mobile router/dongle will be your best bet as there is quite good cell reception (Vodacom, I don't know about other carriers) in most camps. How much data you will need will depend on how long you are staying and your expected usage. In my experience it's best to overestimate as it can be hard to top up, since unlike topping up your phone airtime, you can't just buy a top-up voucher, you need to actually go to a shop that can sell you data (and load it onto your data SIM). You can buy a mobile router/dongle at the Vodacom shop in OR Tambo, not sure about other airports.

HTH. Have a great trip!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

nighthawk2

Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm

When you come out of the customs area at OR Tambo, bear right, there is a Vodacom kiosk.
They will give you a wireless modem, all you need to do is purchase the data package.
We're usually in SA for 3 weeks or so, a 3GB package is usually enough if you are using it just for email.
You will be required to put a deposit on the modem, last I remember it was 1500 ZAR.
They will deduct your usage & refund the balance back to you.
Unfortunately if you contract for say 3 GB & only use 1 GB, you don't get the credit for the reduced volume.
You can top up if you go over the contracted amount but best to get more than you might need.
The airport in Port Elizabeth also has this service as I'm sure Cape Town as well.
the nighthawk

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi Nighthawk, we really are ignorant when it comes to wifi technology, would you mind explaining really simply how it works with a modem?

We have an iPad ( with no built in wifi connection) and I do have an unlocked iPhone ( which I normally buy a SA SIM card with data added.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can give :D
3/11/17 outside park
10/11/17 - 11/11/17 BnD
12/11/17 - 15/11/17 Skukuza
16/11/17 - 19/11/17 Satara
20/11/17 - 24/11/17 Biyamiti

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Merlin, we have a wifi modem (also referred to as a jet pack, or mobile wifi - we have a huewei device). You purchase a data SIM card for the modem and you then use the cell signal for data - similar to what you would do with a iPhone but without the calls. The modem will have a password so it is a secure connection. Maybe you can use your iPhone as a hotspot?

Our modem links to up to 6 (I think) devices at a time. In Kruger we had mostly 3G signal, occasionally 4G. Satara and Lower Sabie were good but tended to slow down in the evening when everyone is in camp and there is high traffic on the cell towers. We used a Vodacom sim.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

nighthawk2

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Merlin11,
The modem is what you need to connect to the internet. Your Iphone really does the same but you would have to purchase a separate data package.
The wireless modem you can get from Vodacom acts like a hotspot that you can connect to the internet with multiple devices - wirelessly.
In essence you will have a private network. Your Ipad should pickup available wireless networks and display the Vodacom network. You then have to enter the pin code & your all set.

If you go to the Vodacom shop at the exit of the customs hall in OR Tambo, they will set it up for you.
the nighthawk

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks Nighthawk for explaining it so we can understand, this looks like the way to go for us, we know the Vodacom shop. As there where we normally pick up our Sim for the phone! :clap: :thumbs_up:
3/11/17 outside park
10/11/17 - 11/11/17 BnD
12/11/17 - 15/11/17 Skukuza
16/11/17 - 19/11/17 Satara
20/11/17 - 24/11/17 Biyamiti

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Arks and Nighthawk2,
Thanks for all of the advice, we can get set up before we leave the airport. Between a couple of game parks in Natal and then on to KNP we will there of two months, so it will be worthwhile getting organised.
Barb.

islandgirl54

Does Skyroam work in Kruger?

Unread post by islandgirl54 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am

I purchased a Skyroam plan for internet and am wondering if anyone knows if it will work in Kruger.

Elsa

Re: Does Skyroam work in Kruger?

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:03 am

Warm welcome to the forum Islandgirl!

I must admit I can't say for sure but your best best would be to contact someone from the company and make enquiries to make sure.

Return to “Kruger National Park”