Skip to Content

PROHIBITION OF DRONES IN THE KNP

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:27 pm

South African National Parks (SANParks) would like to warn individuals against flying of unmanned aerial vehicles (such as drones) either for game viewing, filming, photography or any other purposes during their visit/stay in any of the National Parks, particularly the Kruger National Park (KNP). This practice is illegal as National Parks are legislated protected areas with restricted airspace, therefore a no-fly zone for all unauthorized aircraft systems.

“We have had two incidents reported by tourists in the KNP recently of people flying such aircraft illegally, getting out of vehicles on undesignated areas, interfering in sightings; disturbing and stalking animals; only to feign innocence upon questioning. We would like to inform such people and other drone users that, should they be found flying them in the Park at any time, they will be arrested on the spot and their equipment will be seized”, said KNP’s General Manager, Communications & Marketing, William Mabasa.

Not only is this a contravention of the NEMA Protected Areas Act, but there are also restrictions in terms of the aerial filming rights and therefore an infringement of SANParks’ filming/photography policy. The NEMA Protected Areas Act states that “it is illegal to fly below 2,500 feet above the highest point of any national park, including the KNP, with any aircraft/drone without the express permission of the Management Authority of the particular National Park i.e. SANParks.

“These kinds of incidents can negatively impact on the wellbeing of animals as well as the experience of other visitors. We would like to specifically thank the guests, who reported one of the incidents to the nearest camp. We would also like to encourage all law abiding citizens to report such incidents to the Emergency Call Centre numbers 013 735 5516/076 801 9679 so that these people can be caught in the act”, concluded Mabasa.
… Ends
Issued by:
Communications & Marketing Department - Kruger National Park. Contact: Tel: 013 735 4262, cell: 082 807 1441 or email: laura.mukwevho@sanparks.org

Enquiries either:
William Mabasa, General Manager: Communication & Marketing, Kruger National Park. Contact: Tel: 013 735 4363, cell: 082 807 3919 or email: william.mabasa@sanparks.org or

Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli, SANParks General Manager: PR, Media and Stakeholder Relations. Tel: 012 426 5203; Cell: 073 373 4999; Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org
Sawubona
Dalene

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: PROHIBITION OF DRONES IN THE KNP

Unread post by RemiE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:02 am

Very few times it boggles my mind what people can get up to next, seeing as plenty people get up to plenty of stupid things. But this? Didn’t see this one coming :wall:

I couldn’t help but laugh in dismay when I read this. Cannot wait to see what the next ‘brilliant’ light bulb moment entails. Why o why would one want to fly a drone in Kruger National Park?? Except to hunt down potential poachers??

“Let’s attached this video camera to this drone and fly it to the animal for a better view” :tongue:

Thank you SANParks for putting a swift stop to this madness :thumbs_up:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Glad an official notice was issued reminding visitors that it is not allowed. The use of drones were already observed by forumites in 2013 in KTP and Kruger that lead to the KTP rule. Now we need to see this rule clearly stated on visitor permits at all NP.

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2028226#p2028226
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Shutterbug

Unread post by Shutterbug » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:43 am

I find it very sad that people have to be told not do fly drones in the park, it should be common sense???

suebfly

Unread post by suebfly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:10 am

Sadly drones seem to be here to stay - they are used more and more all over the world in many applications. I just hope and pray that the parks are able to control this as they certainly could become very annoying

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:19 am

:gflower: Well done SANParks. I had the unfortunate experience of a fellow visitor flying a drone over our heads when we were enjoying the peace and quiet of Arches in Utah. We do not need a bunch of buzzing contraptions interupting our holiday, not to mention privacy issues....

Local news had a few drone fails on last night. Lions in Zimbabwe managed to maul a crashed drone and a mother Kangaroo swatted one out of the sky that was bothering her in Australia :thumbs_up:

Proof, in my eyes, that they bother the animals.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 am

Drones are currently illegal regardless of where you fly them. We are currently meeting with civil aviation authorities to sort this issue out but as it stand unless you register your drone and then log a flight path (like any other aircraft) each time you take off you are flying illegally.
You can apply for special permission to fly (like SANParks do) but this is an ordeal of note and you then have to have the documentation with you at all times. They also won't give you permission for recreational use.

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Txs Snoobad for explaining the use of drones
btw, same here in The Netherlands

btw just imagine when watching ellies from you vehicle and suddenly a drone with a camera attached hover above them. What will the ellies do and what might happen to poor me in the vehicle. Might just be that they get the scare of their lives and will happen then....

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 pm

I saw something on Sky News this morning regarding new technology and drones were one of the things they spoke about. They said they were becoming more and more popular.

I do hope SANParks and the aviation authorities can stamp this out before it takes hold. I dread to have a park's peace and quiet and magic game sightings disturbed by a multitude of drones flying about!
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 pm

The fact that we still have an issue with drones in the park makes me wonder how many people read their information file with the regulation before going to a park. In April I have already received one that stipulate that drones are not allowed. Unless you fully paid your booking for Dec end of Jan you would have received the same email I've received with the new rule after you made the final payment later the year.

Quote from Additional Information received on 1 April 2014:

23. BEHAVIOUR – Behaving in an offensive, improper, indecent or disorderly manner including the playing of any radio, compact disc player, music system, musical system or instrument, or in any way cause of any noise in any manner likely to disturb any species or specimen or other person is strictly prohibited and will be fined if not adhered to. The hindering, intimidating or obstructing of an authorized official in the execution if his/her duties or the performance of his/her functions will not be tolerated and is subject to a penalty. Violation, refusal or failure to obey or comply with any prohibition, request or instruction imposed by these regulations or by the management authority or authorized official will result in prosecution;
24. BICYCLES: Please enlighten yourself with the rules and regulations applicable to the use of roller skates, skateboards, bicycles and motorbikes for the park/s that you will be visiting as there are restrictions in some of the parks;
25. DRONES: The use of drones inside (and over) national parks is prohibited, unless these are used for research of official purposes and with the prior written approval of the Park Management.

Next time I will take a print out along incase I meet up with another drone flying in the park.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:21 am

Dear All - Assistance Needed!

Does anyone have information about an incident that happened over the December holidays where someone photographed a vehicle and individuals who were using a drone/UAV in Kruger?

If so, could you kindly assist me with further details, e.g. registration numbers and whatever information that may be useful in tracking this visitor? Please send the information to my email address - Lesego.Nko@sanparks.org

Thank you in advance.
Sawubona
Dalene

PRWIN

Unread post by PRWIN » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Are you talking about this incident :hmz: :hmz: Thought it had been resolved and action had been taken :shock:

These American Tourists ruined a beautiful sighting of a herd of elephant drinking and sheltering in the shade in the Timbavati river (Ratelpan hide) with their drone.
It was distressing to see how agitated and stressed the elephants got as they all scattered and disappeared with the drone closely following them. We managed to photograph the car and one of its occupants picking up the drone afterwards. We reported the incident to the Olifants Camp manager who confronted them and reported back to us.
He said they were apologetic and maintained that they were unaware that this was not acceptable (!?!? -no common sense???) Upon returning home we did discover that this should have earned them a R1000-00 fine!

If it is look on facebook under Kruger Idiots, photo, and reg of vehicle are there and contact of person that witnessed the incident.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks! I will forward to Lesego. I know she has received further info as well.
Sawubona
Dalene

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun May 17, 2015 8:58 pm

There is some new development in the regulation for flying drones in South Africa. So far not allowed on public roads, which I hope Kruger or any other NP falls under.

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Flights/SA-signs-new-drone-rules-into-law-20150517

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/New-regulations-for-drones-in-SA-20150517

If a person has the correct licence, they would still need an issued letter of approval, valid for a period of 12 months. A drone could not be sold unless the seller notified the buyer of the operational requirements as imposed by the Sacaa.

Among the raft of new regulations, known as Part 101, it specifies that a drone cannot tow another aircraft, perform aerial or aerobatic displays, or be flown in a formation or swarm.

Further, drones cannot be flown next to or above a nuclear power plant, prison, police station, crime scene, court of law, national key point or strategic installation.

No drone could be operated 121.92m above the surface, or within a radius of 10km from an aerodrome, be flown overhead any person or group, or within a lateral distance of 50m from any person, or within a lateral distance of 50m from any structure or building.

The use of public roads for the landing and taking-off of a drone was also prohibited, unless for civil defence of law-enforcement purposes.

Return to “Kruger National Park”