Skip to Content

Bookings In Kruger for July School holidays

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
aftrails

Bookings In Kruger for July School holidays

Unread post by aftrails » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:35 am

What is the exact system with regards to bookings for the July school holidays?
The bookings opened this morning on the online site and there are already NO camping sites available for the July School holidays.
I am desperate?

DinkyBird

Re: Bookings In Kruger for July School holidays

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:41 am

The call centre opened yesterday - Online Bookings open a day later. The call centres were jammed yesterday, it was that busy.

I suggest that you keep an eye on availability, especially in 30 days time when deposits fall due and folk forget to pay them, and then some places might open up.
Sawubona
Dalene

aftrails

Unread post by aftrails » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply.

My husband stood in a queue from 2:00am yesterday morning at a reservation house in Pretoria, and he could not get camping in Satara when it was his turn. He was 5th in the row. It just seems as if there are reservation that took place before the 1st of August. It is impossible that all sites could be out so quickly.

Further, what about people that stay far from a reservation hub and cannot stand in a queue from 2 am?

Maybe it is time that a full payment are required for any booking method over such a popular period. I am sure it would let people think twice before making bookings that they might cancel later. Of maybe a limit on the number of nights allowed to make it possible from more people to visit the park over peak periods.

Just some thoughts, I will keep my eyes on the cancellations!

Brent Drotsky

Unread post by Brent Drotsky » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:46 am

Hi

I think that is a very good idea, in the busy times like school holidays, make ppl pay full amount upfront.

i hope the 30 day deposit story is true and that some booking become available.

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:38 pm

aftrails wrote:What is the exact system with regards to bookings for the July school holidays?
The bookings opened this morning on the online site and there are already NO camping sites available for the July School holidays.
I am desperate?

Pay particular attention to the dates on the deposit cut off (1 month from now) and the final payment date (2 months to arrival)
As this is when people often give up a booking for whatever reason.
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PJL » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:16 pm

aftrails wrote:My husband stood in a queue from 2:00am yesterday morning at a reservation house in Pretoria, and he could not get camping in Satara when it was his turn. He was 5th in the row. It just seems as if there are reservation that took place before the 1st of August. It is impossible that all sites could be out so quickly.

We also missed out on accommodation for next year. I don't understand why they can't have the availability showing for next July on the website on 1st August even if you can only book via telephone. The problem at the moment with no view of the availability is that it makes it look like accommodation is pre-booked before it opens to the general public as you have suggested... I have no idea whether that's the case or not, but showing it online would at least make that clear :thumbs_up:

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:40 am

I have had this problem with bookings for July school holidays since the late sixties. And then we did not have the internet. You had to apply in writing for a camping spot and early July the "lottery" was held and you received a letter to tell you if your booking was successful.
But there are many ways to skin a cat - when we wanted to book for July in a particular year two of my friends also tried to get a booking and one year only one friend got accepted. Problem solved. It was easier getting a booking for April or October school holidays in those days. And over weekends you could just pitch up.

The solution nowadays is to watch the reservations every day for cancellations. You will be surprised at how many cancellations become available over time. You will get exactly what you need eventually but you will have to patient.
Happy hunting.
I wish I was as rich as the family thinks I am and as clever as I think I am

Return to “Kruger National Park”