Skip to Content

Camping in Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping in Kruger - Sleeping Bag recommendations

Unread post by lemonbalm » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:15 am

From my personal experience (which may be unique to me!) I prefer just using my duvet whilst camping. I have one of those 'packs small' sleeping bags meant for hiking and I find it very uncomfortable for camping - even if it is really cold I sweat a lot in it which makes things really uncomfortable. So if I were going to buy a new one I would look for a cotton inner one, and I would probably land up using it as a duvet (hence my not rushing out to buy one over my duvet :wink: ). In summer I also use an empty duvet cover to sleep in as I tend to kick bedding off, so if I'm in the cover I know my feet are protected from mozzies. For winter camping we used the newspaper and an old blanket (one of those cheap grey jobs from Pep) trick underneath and added a Woolies fleece blanket on top - these pack small and are surprisingly warm! Plus fleece pajamas and beanies - we camped in the Karoo and Mountain Zebra at the end of May, where this set up worked very well. Good Luck deciding, and have a wonderful time camping!
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." ~ E. B. White

Gemma T

Unread post by Gemma T » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not sure about the temps in March but we have always camped in Jul/Aug. For that we've taken 2 season bags which go to -5/+10 comfort range. The first time we went we took 0/+15 bags and froze for some of the time. I'd always rather have a bag where you can be too hot, unzip the side and stick your leg out to cool down than be too cold, as that makes for a rubbish night's sleep.

The coldest we got in August was -2 in Lower Sabie, that was in 2009.

Hope that helps.
:D
When I'm not in the Park, I'm thinking of it...
Bittersweet Return to Paradise TR - Aug 2011

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 am

We also take a duvet for camping (unless I'm hiking). They're more comfortable and easier to regulate your temperature. We bought a special (green) duvet cover set for camping :)

I'd also recommend rubberized canvas airbeds instead of the Intex-type, the canvas lasts much longer (and is worth the extra, have a look at Checkers at the Bush Baby range).
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am

The end of March is still quite hot (if its not overcast and raining that is) so dont go too overboard.
We use a duvet and i generally just lay on top of it most if not all of the time. Sometimes I cover myself in the early morning hours but not very often. The only time i really got cold was in July at Satara but then all i had was a duvet to cover myself with (sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt)

Linkoe

Re: Camping in Kruger

Unread post by Linkoe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 pm

wheckroodt wrote:Camping at Satara. Arrived today. Pitched my tent and went for a drive. When we got back a bakkie had parked right by out tent. Asked elderly gent opposite us if it was his bakkie and asked if he would please move it. His response was no as according to him he has been parking there for two months. To futher his case he indicated that our tent was not pitched outside the demarcated area. First time I became aware that Satara camping area had demarcated sites. Sort of marked by paving bricks in a row in the ground. Quick view around camp and most people are not aware of this. Wonder if he is paying for 2 stands as he parks on a different stand from the one he camps?

I feel your pain, last year we arrived at a almost empty Berg en Dal jippy we got a spot next to the fence, the first time in 7 years, by night 3 the pkace was packed and we got parked in if I put my hand out of the caravan window I could touch the next caravan. Thensomeone ssqueezed right in next to us we are parked in a corner with not much space, then they light a fire, our caravan looked like it was burning with all the smoke, husband has health issues and we can't move it was a nightmare. Never again will we park by the fence. The rest of the camp was still empty.

julia9726

Renting Camping Equipement

Unread post by julia9726 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Helloo! I am new to the forum :)

I am planning a South Africa trip next June 2015 with my partner, I've been debating if to camp or rent out the tent camps/bungalows offered by San Parks. Since a lot of people have posted saying that the tents ( in lower sabie specifically are not up to part with spider webs, holes etc) + a lot of the huts/tents with exception to lower sabre do not have utensils or cookware included so I have to bring that myself anyways. I thought it best just to bring our own tent as well.

I'm from Montreal, Canada so ideally I would like to rent camping equipment rather then hauling it over across the world. I've found two companies that do this,

http://www.driveandcamp.com/index_e.html - rents out a whole set at only 120Rand/day but they told me I can only rent it out starting in cape town, the other one is Tony Car but their prices are a little ridiculous with a cutlery set being at 250R/day alone.

Anyone know of where I can rent camping gear for Kruger Park ( close to Johannesburg or on the way to), can you rent camping stuff directly from the camp you stay at? and is it in good condition?
Lower Sabie Rest Camp: June 7th
Marloth Park: June 8/9/10
Lower Sabie: June 11th

Afriphile

Re: Renting Camping Equipement

Unread post by Afriphile » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Julia.
Welcome to the forum.
You will find that most camps have fully equiped huts/bungalows/tents as well as unequiped ones,just look at the descriptions on the web site.
My advice would be to book the equiped ones ,which are really very nice,and forget about the camping,as this is your first visit.
Although some of the accomodation can seem a bit "tired" I have never found it to be a problem,and most is very good.
One tip is to bring a couple of cooler bags in your luggage or buy a cool box when you arrive.
Kruger is great for camping but it is usually local South Africans ,who bring everything with them.
Enjoy,and remember June is busy with school holidays,so book early.I think the booking opens soon.(see elsewhere in the forum for dates)
Afriphile.

LesleyWilson
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2014)

Unread post by LesleyWilson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:35 am

Hello Julia

Very BIG welcome to the forum. I can imagine your dilemma and have often pondered the obstacle "non-local" visitors must experience when visiting our wonderful country and the equipment they require to brin with them but are limited to bring as a result of the weight limit on luggage. :wall: :wall:

I live in Edenvale (10 minute drive from OR Tambo airport) and I know that I would probably have everything you would need for a visit to KNP - whether you decide to camp or stay in huts/rondawels/bungalow. I would be more than willing to help you out with loaning you the things you need for the duration of your stay. I would just need to know what sort of things you are needing and I can confirm whether or not I have the appropriate equipment to help you out. We have tents, Gazebo, groundsheet, blow up mattresses, stretchers (single duvet and covers) and folding chairs and tables, cooking utensils, cutlery etc, water bottles, gas cylinders and skottel braai gear. The list is endless. I am more than happy to help out. Just shout!
Lesley
Isn't the wild wonderful!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Crested Val wrote:Oh my word Lesley, that is incredibly generous of you................what a star!!! :clap: :clap:

agreed. :thumbs_up:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

fuzzy

Re: CAMPERS - show us your camp setup

Unread post by fuzzy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm

We (my wife & I ) are thinking about doing this whole "camping " thing next year September in Kruger. We normally stay in chalets but have heard about the "perks" of camping so have decided to give it a bash before we rush out & buy all the goodies. Any advice as to which camps & why would be appreciated. It seems that Maroela is very popular with campers as well as Croc Bridge camp ??? Lower Sabie doesn't seem too popular. We have stayed in the tents at LS & thoroughly enjoyed the noises at night. Also any camping tips that would make life more comfortable would also be appreciated as its a long drive from East London only to get there & not be prepared. (although any time in Kruger is enjoyable )

Look forward to some responses

Thanks

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 pm

There are quite a few topics that should be able to help you Fuzzy.

Camping in Kruger with a link in there to another one.

Another big one Camping Equipment Owned By Serious Outdoor Wildlife Lovers

and another biggie Camping in Kruger Info

Happy reading!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 am

Hi Fuzzy,

We love Maroela and Croc Bridge. In fact we love most of the camps in Kruger but unfortunately I'll give LS a miss if I can. We love the area around LS and that sometimes lands us up in the campsite but you get no "bush feel" from there.

My advise to new campers would be to keep it simple. Take everything you need but no more! There is nothing worse than spending hours putting up camp and another few hours packing it all up again. Invest in an easy to pitch tent, we have a dome tent that served us well for 25 years and I still prefer that to anything else. Don't go big on lighting, one headlamp for each person and a small lamp or light that you can move to where you need it is enough. I love my Amarula candle lamp and take it on every trip!

On the last trip we did with the ground tent we only unpacked, the tent, the camping bed, 2 chairs and a table, the gas bottle and single cooking ring. I packed all the kitchen goodies in one crate (2 plates, 2 mugs, an tiny kettle and such) and took only essential groceries. You can get almost anything in Kruger should you run short.
We left the bags with our clothes, the fridge and the kitchen goodies in the Pajero and used it from there so no unnecessary packing up of everything when we moved camp.
You must have gathered by now that we are very lazy campers! :lol:

One thing you should never short change yourself on is the bed. If you don't sleep well, you'll hate the experience, even if you stay in a 5 star hotel! Sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags is not camping, it's torture! :twisted:

Don't stress too much about doing it right! Go out and enjoy the trip, hopefully you'll also fall in love with the bush from under canvas the way we did! :D
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 am

I agree 100% with JenB.

I used blow up mattresses, until I found that fixing leaks was no fun. I am a very small person, so it is not a weight issue. I now use a proper stretcher and camping mattress and it makes all the difference.

I am also going to add that you take good lighting with you. I had very inadequate lighting on my first trip with disastrous consequences. I also enjoy reading at night and good rechargeable lamps have made all the difference. they have also proved to be invaluable when ESKOM switches the lights off.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 am

We've also ditched the blow up mattresses and replaced them with stretchers and foam mattresses. Its more comfortable, you dont get the cold off the ground in winter, you dont need to keep inflating the bed, it's much quicker to pack up and you have added packing space under the stretchers.

As far as lighting goes, I use a combination of rechargeable lamps for inside the tent, and 220v lighting outside. Im planning on changing this to 12v led's in the near future when I kit the trailer out with a 12 volt battery system with a charger, inverter as well as a a solar panel. The most expensive item will be replacing my 220v only campmaster freezer with a 12/220v freezer as I plan on spending more time in the future at camps like Tsendze and Balule (and possibly a KTP trip or 2 or 3 ).

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Lepardfan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 am

Wow some of you guys and ladies are very well equipped for camping. I just bought a tent a few days ago, I made it my mission for 2014 to buy a camping item/s every month until we have the basic stuff.

My next items will I be buying beds. Now I have read a lot about what campers use and it seems that stretchers will be my best bet in stead of blowup mattresses.

Will be planning my first ever camp in Kruger next year during the cooler months, SO made it quite clear that camping in Kruger in summer is NOT a option, even though I tried to explain to her that Kruger is such a cool place :mrgreen:
Balule 29-30 June. :mrgreen:
Lower Sabie 1-2 July. :mrgreen:

Glory to God.

One day closer to my next visit

Return to “Kruger National Park”