Skip to Content

General advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Chacma

Re: Kruger National Park's efforts to streamline access for day visitors

Unread post by Chacma » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:42 am

I have never been a day visitor, always stayed in restcamp accommodation, so I am hazy on what facilities day visitors can have access to. I have heard that they are not allowed to swim in the pools, or that there are separate pools avilable to them in some camps. If this is correct, which camps? Are they allowed access to the restaurants, shops, laundrettes, museums, lawned areas, car washes and other facilities? If their access to facilities is restricted, how is this enforced in practical terms? It is all a bit confusing to me, and I feel a certain disquiet that there are two classes of visitor to KNP.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 am

Hi Chacma, I have been to and used the day visitors pools at Skukuza and Letaba. They are both very nicely designed for accommodating visitors who wish to make a memorable outing. Both have adequate ablutions, shaded picnic areas and the Skukuza one has a small shop. There is also an area where people can wash dishes and prepare food.

The Skukuza one has areas where it is possible to have a little walk. The Letaba one has those lovely big Letaba trees.

I noticed that there were people to keep a check on visitors obeying the rules, such as 'no alcohol'.

It is not a matter of having two different classes, but trying to cater to the very specific needs of day visitors

Day visitors are welcome to visit any facility open to resident visitors, such as lawns, shops, restaurants, gardens, museums ect. It is just that now they can have everything they need in one area without needing to go to a main camp. This does make it easier for the shops in the main camps to cope with the influx of visitors.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:37 am

Not really 2 classes of visitors! Think of it like a hotel.....only resident guests are allowed to use certain facilities. So in KNP only resident guests of the camp can use the pool and laundry for example, and only resident guests are permitted in the bungalow/camping areas. But visitors (day visitors and resident guests at other camps) can use the shops and restaurants and day visitor areas in those camps that have them. Those camps with no 'extra' facilities like shops etc are only open to resident guests of that camp (the satellite camps like Malelane, Tambotie, Maroela, etc and bush lodges like Sirheni, Biyamiti, Boulders, etc).

Pretoriuskop, Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Satara, Letaba, Mopani, Shingwedzi, Punda all have day visitor areas. Some are not within the tourist camp itself.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Chacma

Unread post by Chacma » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18 am

Thank you Goggo and MM, you have explained it well.

It would be nice if SANParks could build a pool in the visitors centres of Mopani and Shingwedzi, I feel sorry for the children sitting in a car/bus arriving at these camps. I expect that will happen in due course.

Return to “Kruger National Park”