Skip to Content

How important are the Forum Awards to you?

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards

How important are the annual Forum Awards to you?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:42 am

1. Forum Awards are important - one of the reasons I am on the forums; good for Forum spirit and encouraging participation
54%
2. Forum Awards are not important - they are exclusive/not fair as just a few Forum Members are nominated because they have more time to be on the forums; are good photographers; can visit the parks more often than others
23%
3. I am not bothered either way
21%
4. What are the Forum Awards? Never heard of it.
2%
Total votes: 56

DinkyBird

How important are the Forum Awards to you?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 am

Please assist the Forum Admin team to bring you the best forum ever! Tell us what you think! We value your comments and input on this topic, and also on all matters SANParks Forums!
- Dalene

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Re: How important are the Forum Awards to you?

Unread post by Philip1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Mites :D
Give a vote if you feel something for OUR FORUM!!! :)
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 am

Your poll categories are a bit limiting IMO, since while for me personally the awards are quite irrelevant, I don't feel that they are "exclusive" exactly, or "unfair". I personally can't vote for any of the choices given as none reflects my personal opinion, which is that the awards are simply irrelevant. Saying that I'm not bothered either way doesn't reflect my opinion either.

To be honest, I recognise fewer and fewer of the forum members who receive kudus and other "awards", so they must only participate in those areas of the forum where I don't, such as Quizzes, Webcams and Chit Chat. Sadly, IMO the forum has become less and less the source of valuable information about the parks that it once was, one of many reasons why I spend less time here. And why for me forum awards are irrelevant.
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Interesting - I am not sure that the awards themselves create spirit, forum participation does. I read many, many posts, but choose to respond to a few, mainly due to time constraints.

I notice that despite the large number of members, only a couple of handfuls of members post regularly. That is a shame.

I think the forum awards should continue, but the categories and qualification criteria can be re-looked.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:55 pm

I am sure the awards motivate 'mites to write trip reports, share their stunning photos with all, participate in polls, and just feel part of the forum family! Without the annual rewards, the forums could have a negative influence on participation by the 'mites. It is a highlight of the year, and that wonderful feeling when you/your contribution(s) was/were nominated, is absolutely wonderful, and motivates one to keep on contributing, whether it is by sharing information, trip reports, sightings, getting information from other 'mites, or whatever, the forum awards are the highlight of the year! :dance: :dance:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Goronta
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year- Bird - Fish Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Goronta » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 pm

I believe that for any forum awards can be an extra motivation and quoting hilda
hilda wrote: It is a highlight of the year, and that wonderful feeling when you/your contribution(s) was/were nominated, is absolutely wonderful, and motivates one to keep on contributing, whether it is by sharing information, trip reports, sightings, getting information from other 'mites

But for me it's not the main reason I'm on the Forum even if I share that wonderful feeling to realize one of your contributions is nominated :dance: :dance:
It's a place where your only interest is, at least mine, to share your information,knowledge and for those like me who are so lucky to visit South Africa and the national parks almost every year the trips and places I enjoyed.
:think:

Give back what you received and Carpe Diem :k

I learnt a lot since I joined the Forum and not a single Award will compete with what I already received from this "protected environment"and from the diversity of 'mites I meet virtually every day :D

Long life to Sanparks Forum with or ... without Awards :thumbs_up:
Carpe diem

KRUGER OCT 22th- NOV 1st :D
Oct 21st : Leaving Paris :dance:
Oct 23-24th : Punda Maria Safari Tent
Oct 25-29th : Pafuri
Oct 30th : Shimuwini
Nov 2nd : Back :cry:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am

Voted.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 am

Voted
The secret of happiness is to count your blessings, while others are adding up their troubles

Tamboti 20-25 September 2017

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.

Unread post by umtali1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:52 pm

While it's important to recognise the contribution made to the forum by giving awards, they are not the reason for my joining and continued participation. Indeed, I had no idea what they were for at least a year :think:

The forum is important in that it:-
1) gives useful information about the various Sanparks which help visitors from all over the world to make informed decisions about their holidays
2)enables members to give feedback about their experiences
3)raises the profile of the smaller parks
4)encourages discussion about conservation and preservation of the species
5)allows visitors to the parks to share their visits in Trip Reports which in turn enrich other members' experiences
6)enables members to learn more about the various species, like birds, insects etc, in the parks and around SA
7)develops long-lasting friendships between folk who have a common interest.

These are just a few reasons. I am sure fellow 'mites have many other ideas for the importance of the forum.

The Awards are announced with great fanfare each year. After the initial flurry of comments, the scheme drops further down the pages and gets lost in the thousands of topics. I would love to see the publicity ongoing with clear explanation as to how the Awards scheme operates. For example, last year, I'm not sure how many 'mites realised that they could nominate TRs, photos, etc to the Mods and FC members. It seemed to be the same few. :hmz: Greater participation would be a bonus.

The Awards always need to be under review to reflect the changing times.

I hope this year will see the Awards reflecting the diversity of members on the forum.
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

Kendall M

Unread post by Kendall M » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Voted :great:

Personally I'm not bothered about the Awards or not. I use the Forums as a source of info & have found the advice posted on this platform particularly helpful :clap: I LOVE reading everyone's TR's - although I seldom comment...I still get a kick out of reading everyone's stories...& end up longing for another trip to the Bush :mrgreen:

Some people may need the recognition the Awards give, while others aren't phased...I think it's a fun away to make the Forum inclusive...But I honesty have no idea how one gets to Junior, Senior & Honourary Virtual Rangers ;)
:dance: Next Planned Trips to Kruger :dance:

December 2017/18
Tamboti: 26 - 29 Dec
Pretoriuskop: 29 Dec - 2 Jan 2018

Easter 2018
Letaba: 21 - 25 Mar
Tamboti: 25 - 29 Mar
Lower Sabie: 29 Mar - 2 Apr

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Kendall M wrote:I honesty have no idea how one gets to Junior, Senior & Honourary Virtual Rangers

Have a look here Kendall M: Kudu Awards.
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:06 am

I don't know what to tick. :hmz:

I am going to say that I find the Kudu awards more important. It gives me a chance to express my appreciation for the many individuals who contribute in a meaningful way.

I have been on the award committee a number of times. I appreciate how the mods have gone back to the drawing board each year and tried to refine the process.

The bottom line is that no process can be fair. There is no level playing field and there is going to be an advantage for some. That advantage might only be the time of the year when a picture/report/sighting has happened.

Do the awards enhance my forum participation? To be honest, no.

For me, the various meets have been the best way to enjoy the family/community the forum has become. The cricket has become an institution and I think the most meaningful experience for me was the meet in honor of Leervis. When I heard from his family how much pleasure and meaning the forum gave him, I was deeply touched.

I notice that the cams, the quizzes, the trip reports, the birding threads and photography seem to attract regular attention. Little groups of like minded people seems to congregate around what is meaningful to them.

I would really love to see more meaningful participation. I am not so sure that the awards are the way to go.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:07 am

OK, voted.

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Voted :thumbs_up:

My personal opinion is that the Forum Awards should stay because any person feels important when given some recognition.MM you are quite right that smaller groups of members gather or form together around topics that interest them or they feel confident in posting on.It is a shame that so many members do read a lot of the topics and do not post.I understand the time constraint thing but your comment may be of great assistance to the next person,or just a form of encouragement or an indication that you can relate to or have experienced something much the same or similar.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 am

Mischief wrote:Voted :thumbs_up:

My personal opinion is that the Forum Awards should stay because any person feels important when given some recognition.MM you are quite right that smaller groups of members gather or form together around topics that interest them or they feel confident in posting on.It is a shame that so many members do read a lot of the topics and do not post.I understand the time constraint thing but your comment may be of great assistance to the next person,or just a form of encouragement or an indication that you can relate to or have experienced something much the same or similar.

I agree. :thumbs_up:

I would like to encourage more folk to nominate for kudus. There are many people who give generously of their time and/or knowledge. This is what makes the forum so important. The Kudu awards are more frequent and folk are not going to fall so easily under the radar.

Return to “Competitions and Awards”