Skip to Content

WARNING for Image Shack Users

Useful info, FAQs and tutorials on how the forum works
saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

WARNING for Image Shack Users

Unread post by saraf » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:10 pm

In the last month Image Shack, one of the photo sharing websites used by forumites, has announced that it will no longer be hosting photos for free. All Image Shack members should have received emails from the company telling them about it.

This means that from this weekend any link to a photo loaded onto a free Image Shack account will no longer work on this (or any other) forum. Paid for accounts will be unaffected.

From January Image Shack will remove all photos from the free accounts that have not upgraded to paid status. If you use Image Shack as an online back up for your photos and you have not converted to a paid account you will lose the ability to access your photos.

The Mods like to see a tidy forum so if in the course of our work, we come across any Image Shack link that does not work then we will remove it.

Again this only affects the free Image Shack accounts. If you use a paid for account then you should not be affected.

Please let any of the Mods know if you have a query about this and we will do our best to help.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Re: WARNING for Image Shack Users

Unread post by ritad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Hello,

Now i have seen, my pictures, what i have upload with imageshack are away!! I have look on imageshack there are ca. 2500 pictures :? !!! There are also the pictures from Langklaas!
I'm desperately!!! :( :( :(

What can i/we do??

Rita
Our Tripreport has startet: KRUGERFEVER? - YES WE HAVE - September/Oktober 2015

Next trip 2017 planned 21. September 2017 - 09. Oktober 2017 :dance: :dance: :dance: only wait for booking :dance:
*) Car booked
*) 1 night Hoedspruit booked

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Rita,

You should have had a few emails from Image Shack. On those emails it should give you a link to their website so that you can upgrade your account to their Premium service.

The alternative is to upload your photos to another host that isn't charging. Options include Flickr, Photobucket or Imgur - others are available.

What I would suggest to anyone is not to rely on solely on web hosting sites as a repository for your precious photos. Always have a backup of your own on a separate hard drive. You can get very decent 1 terrabyte USB external hard drives for around £50-£60/R850
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Just a warning, I belive Flickr is only free for the first 200 photos, then there is an annual fee of roughly $25.
At least that was the case when I joined in 2010!!! :thumbs_up:

ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by ritad » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Hello saraf :k

So I have been thinking, and i will save und upload the pictures again! :D

It's a hard work, and will take a longe time! I hope you are very happy about it :D

Rita
Our Tripreport has startet: KRUGERFEVER? - YES WE HAVE - September/Oktober 2015

Next trip 2017 planned 21. September 2017 - 09. Oktober 2017 :dance: :dance: :dance: only wait for booking :dance:
*) Car booked
*) 1 night Hoedspruit booked

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi Rita,

Its lovely not to lose your photos. Just make sure you have a personal, private copy of all your photos and don't rely on the photo sharing websites as a back up.

sc00bs

Unread post by sc00bs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:38 pm

You can use Google photo's for free

Unlimited photo uploads
https://photos.google.com/

If your photo's have geolocation data you can search by location.
Also has facial recognition so you can search for pictures of Mark at Crocodile Bridge for example.

https://googleblog.blogspot.co.za/2015/05/picture-this-fresh-approach-to-photos.html

Return to “NEW VISITORS: Read Here”