Skip to Content

Guest Houses in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
andyaxa

Melville vs Nshawu Guest House

Unread post by andyaxa » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 pm

For first timers on a two night stay, which would you suggest? Melville at Letaba or Nshawu at Olifants?
KNP 2016- Shimuwini 23 July - Olifants 24, 25 July - Talamati 26,27,28 July - Biyamiti 29,30,31 July

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Guest Houses in Kruger

Unread post by Grantmissy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:04 am

Andyaxa I suggest Nshawu in Olifants Camp. Enjoy your visit :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:48 am

I agree with GM - the view there is amazing, and you can watch a brilliant sunset. My only caution will be that you will need binocs and the animal activity is 'far away' (in the river bed). If you are ok with that, then the best choice.

For Letaba, I would prefer Fish Eagle guest house because of its position - it has its own private birdhide over the river.
Sawubona
Dalene

andyaxa

Unread post by andyaxa » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks GM and DB! Two nights did appear at Nshawu, so we grabbed them and will release the Melville hold. We were interested in the river walk at Olifants anyway, so this that makes it a double win.
Thanks again!
KNP 2016- Shimuwini 23 July - Olifants 24, 25 July - Talamati 26,27,28 July - Biyamiti 29,30,31 July

suebfly

Unread post by suebfly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Has anybody got comments about the Doherty Bryant Guest house at Pretoriuskop. I recently stayed at this camp for the first time recently and would like to go again when we visit in November. The guesthouse is available on the days we have and I wondered if it is worth the extra expense. thanks so much

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Suebfly the Joubert house is the best in Pretoriuskop. The family cottages are second best but this is based on personal preference and opinion. The Bryant house is ok and I would say if your requirements are privacy and your own secluded perimeter view then the Bryant house is worth the extra expense. The rooms are like rondawels and each has their own little veranda to enjoy early morning coffee :D enjoy your visit :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

suebfly

Unread post by suebfly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks Grantmissy - we stayed at one of the family units last week and I LOVED it - that is why I have fallen in love with this camp and want to go back to introduce other family to it. Unfortunately there are none available at the time I have available but the Bryant Guest house is and I absolutely love the idea of privacy so I think I will go for it - thanks again

squirrel81

Re: Shingwedzi - Rentmeester House

Unread post by squirrel81 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Dear all,

did anyone stayed recently in the Rentmeester House ? We have stayed there last time approx. 2010 .
During the flood 2013 there has been washed away a lot of the riverrine in the back of the house. We saw that only from a far distance, we had no chance when we visited the camp after 2013 to have a closer look as the house was always occupied.

It would be of interest for us to know if it is still worth to spend that extra money for the Rentmeester House.
Our alternative is a Cottage in Sirheni (a camp we fell in love with when Shingwedzi had to be rebuilt).

Many thanks and looking forward to an answer,
greetings,
Brigitte

camken

Unread post by camken » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello everyone :)

I'm trying to decide between the Frankel and Stanley houses in Satara (I know..life is tough haha). Is there any info from members who have stayed there recently (I found some comments but they were from a few years ago)?
I've stayed in the Frankel house before and LOVED it! If money wasn't an issue then I would definitely go back. But alas money is an issue, and even though the Frankel house is only around R400.00 more than the Stanley house, when you add it up over 5 nights it gets a bit pricey and we would probably have to stay one night less in the park in order to afford it.

So if we can get the same view of the waterhole (we could see it from our patio with ease) and the same privacy at Stanley that we experienced at Frankel, then I will go for Stanley. If anyone thinks I'm crazy and that the Frankel is definitely worth paying extra for- please speak up

Thanks in advance for your help

bushguy

Unread post by bushguy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Brigitte

We stayed there in Dec 2014 and there was nothing negative about it. very spacious and well equipped. nice view of the river (unfortunately also the low water crossing ! ) 2 main bedrooms have "sort of" view onto the river. I think the advantage of Shing over Shireni is more good roads/options close to camp. but definitely less private and not the feeling that you are alone in the bush that Shireni has. Also a pity that the dam at Shireni is not being rebuilt - was great for birds!

big decision!

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

carocat

Unread post by carocat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi - regarding the query on Stanley V Rudi Frankel. We stay in Stanley whenever we can It has an old world Kruger feel that I love. Last time the lions made a kill almost in front of the water hole. That was in 2015.
I have never stayed at Frankel, the picture look nice, but to me doesn't look like the traditional Kruger. I would chose Stanley.

molpol40

Unread post by molpol40 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:38 pm

hi camken
we stayed in satara in april (couldn't get the stanley guesthouse as it was already booked :( ) we were in A circle in the rondavels by stanley. on our last night there, 2 male lions took down a buffalo at the waterhole, a hyena then tried to get the meat and was killed. the people in the stanley guest house had an amazing view. (the noise that night was deafening!! the sounds of the lions and hyena all night :dance: )
i have stayed in stanley guest house on previous visits and i loved it, no negatives from me

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”