Skip to Content

Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
PRWIN
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Unread post by PRWIN » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm

In a separate topic that I've started on 30 January 2017 asking about the changes in Shingwedzi I have not received any answers yet and hope under this topic might get the information request.

PRWIN wrote:Any feedback on where the different sites are and how one can book a specific number. Camping needs differ from people and what might be fine in a ground tent might not be OK for a caravan of off-road trail that need sufficient space and limited by height of the trees nearby.

Will appreciate an update of the map indicating where the different sites are and the no-power campsites. I would like to book for Jan and need more info before making any decision on booking.

The splitting campsites into different types for booking purposes and demarcation was introduce in Dec 2016 already when bookings came available for Nov 2017. According to the new bookings you will not get two types of campsites (with or without power) anymore but 4 different types. This means you will now be limited to where you can camp and therefore important to know the size of the campsites and the position of the different sites. The change will result in the campsites with no power not being available anymore, but no detail is given on where all the sites will be leaving a lot of questions unanswered since I've asked in Feb 2017 already

Camping No Power (CK6) - not available any more from Nov 2017. Used to be 10 sites.
Camp Site (CK6PL) - new on the list (6 available) and uncertain where these sites will be
Camp Site (CK6P) - old booking code (now only 26 available and used to be 50 sites), but do not know which sites are not included anymore and if some will fall in the area of the old no-power sites.
Camp Site (CK6PZ) - new on list (2 available) and unsure where to find them
Camp Site (CK6PV) - new on list (26 available) and referred to perimeter sites. What will the size of these site be and where along the perimeter? Can't imagine fitting 26 sites along the perimeter.

The change is form 50 sites with power and 10 sites without power to 60 sites with power.

Can Shingwedzi hospitality manager please inform the public on how the campsite will be deviated and where the locations of these sites will be on a map. Surely after 8 months since implemented this change on the bookings system a new map must be available and power points installed for the extra 10 sites that will no have power in Nov 2017.

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 am

Not sure where you getting your info on the Camp sites. If you look at availability it still shows either Camping with power or camping without power. I have a booking for October this year and it still shows CK6P. Camp informed me it first come first serve at camp site, no demarcations.

PRWIN
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PRWIN » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:09 am

Snoobab

October is the last month before the new sites are implemented . Link below shows the difference in price for campsite with a view and one without. CK6 falls away from November
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/shingwedzi/tourism/availability.php?camp_id=43

November Bookings no ck6
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/shingwedzi/tourism/availability_months.php?month=11&year=2017&submitButton=&go_to=%2Fparks%2Fkruger%2Fcamps%2Fshingwedzi%2Ftourism%2Favailability_months.php&resort=5

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:07 pm

We have asked if there is a new map available and will post the info as soon as we hear anything. :thumbs_up:

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

As mentioned I will be there in beginning October, so will ask at reception and see if they have any more info.

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Am also there beginning October. :thumbs_up: Am curious to see how they demarcate. :hmz:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Response from Kruger (22/8/17):
Shingwedzi Camp site will be upgraded (sites demarcated, additional roads, power boxes, taps ). The site will be handed over to the contractor next week. Estimate completion is mid October 2017. Once the project is completed the new map will be designed and circulated – latest end October.
- Dalene

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”