Skip to Content

Punda Maria Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Gs2014

What do you need for punda maria

Unread post by Gs2014 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:54 am

Hi, just wanted to know what utensils and crockery we need to take to Panda Maria Restcamp?

Elsa

Re: What do you need for punda maria

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:59 am

Hi and warm welcome to the forum! :clap:

Can you tell me what type of accommodation you have booked or think of booking?

Gs2014

Unread post by Gs2014 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:20 am

We are staying in a one bedroom bungalow. It says on the website no cutlery provided but I read somewhere you can get a hamper with some things, am not sure if this is correct or what else to bring. We will be doing some of our own cooking.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:32 am

Welcome.. there is a lovely barbeque area for you to cook your food over the coals . So you will probably need braai tongs and a few knives and forks and spoons and a small pot and frying pan ,, paper plates and mugs and you can buy charcoal firelighters or wood at the shop . or you can have a fairly pleasant meal at the restaurant next to the shop . Take a picnic with you to Pafuri picnic spot ( you can purchase cool drinks there .)There is usually boiling water in the communal camp kitchens so an inexpensive flask is a good idea too.
When are you going and for how long??
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Punda Maria

Unread post by Snoobab » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I've just returned from Punda Maria and I have to say the Camp is looking great. The campsite was clean with the bins being emptied every day. There are a few Monkeys around so make sure everything is locked. The pool was crystal clean and very refreshing.
The shop was very well stocked, very nice selection of meats with fresh veggies (carrots, potato's, tomato's and a selection of fruit) fresh bread and just generally well stocked.
I did not eat at the restaurant but the food smelled great.
There is definitely no flood damage, just in my opinion a nicely run clean camp.

Ralph vV
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Punda Maria Rest Camp

Unread post by Ralph vV » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:23 pm

One of our favourite camps! Always neat and tidy, well-run and birds a-plenty.... Love it! And the hide provides hours of great entertainment. :-)
----------------------------------
Club LIT, Club CHIT, AWD-fan

linray

Unread post by linray » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:39 pm

We stayed here in December for 4 nights (camping) and WOW it was amazing everything was clean and tidy. Ate at the restaurant food is really brilliant and tasty. Shop is well stocked and in general a wonderful campsite cannot wait to go back. Saw a few different Elephant herds at the water hole everyday/night was a great site. Although it was December is was actually reasonably quiet which was great.

Cant wait to go back

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

StuartGroom wrote:Being based at Punda, are the roads up to Crooks Corner etc still accessible?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes, they are, and in good condition. All repair work after the floods are completed. Of course, there could be more heavy rains now that it is summer, but let us cross all fingers and toes, no damage again.
Sawubona
Dalene

K-4S

Unread post by K-4S » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Could anyone tell me what Russell Cottage is? on the online booking platform it doesn't appear but then on the 2015/2016 PDF for tariffs it shows there is a unit called Russell cottage in Punda Maria that sleeps 4 people.

Many thanks. :thumbs_up:
January 2017
Orpen | Olifants

May 2017
Bateleur | Shingwedzi

July 2017
Punda Maria | Sirheni

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:47 pm

K-4S. I have no idea about the Russell Cottage but I did see some work on what I thought was a staff cottage - up the hill near the gate to the camp. They seemed to be painting etc.

Perhaps you should phone the camp and ask - the receptionists there are very friendly and helpful and I'm sure they will have an answer for you.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

jilj

New Cottage at Punda

Unread post by jilj » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:16 am

Does anybody know when the new cottage up on the hill above the entrance to Punda will be ready? Longing to stay there.

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesley Nyawo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Dear Valued Guests

The Russell Cottage is still under construction and we can not give a date as to when construction will be completed at this stage.
We will send out information on our social media and our website informing you of the availability of the cottage, please bear with us during this process.

Regards
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for the Feedback Lesley! :thumbs_up:

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesley Nyawo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Dear Stakeholders

Russell Cottage is still under renovations, we still can not give a date for when it will be opened for bookings. We will send out information on our social media and our website informing you of the availability of the cottage, please bear with us during this process.

Regards
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Hello,

Could somebody please help me with Punda layout -- am looking at the map, but slightly confused.
Back row of BG2 huts 13-18, and BD3 huts 19-22. Looks like they face onto the back of the front row of huts.

Front row of BG2 huts 1-12. According to the map they face onto a small open patch, then below/south of that the main entrance road from the gate to petrol/reception/ shop and Safari Tents....

When I look at pictures on this forum, it seems like the front row of huts face directly onto a tar road...
Question: This tar road that comes to within a meter of the front doors of huts 1-12 -- is it the main road? Or is there another road (main road) lower than the road that is so close to the huts? And it seems as if there is a paved section that ends with the communal braai area -- some people say it is from huts 1-6, while others say it is below huts 10-12. From the pictures it looks more like 10-12.

What I am actually asking: Does ALL the traffic entering Punda Maria go within 1 m of your front door, or is there a buffer of road, green patch of grass/braai area between the front huts and the MAIN ROAD?

Please let me know, I am finalizing bookings for March -- haven't slept in Punda since I was 10, and am back there for my 60th birthday -- want it quiet and peaceful!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”