Skip to Content

Lower sabie safari tents closed for maintenance - POSTPONED

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Beautyandvoyage

Lower sabie safari tents closed for maintenance - POSTPONED

Unread post by Beautyandvoyage » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:08 pm

:wall:

I'll be visiting for the first time on 2/17-2/19 and had perimeter safari tents booked months ago and we we're happy to secure a good view.

I just got an email today informing me that all safari tents are going to be closed on 2/14 for maintenance.

They did offer to refund or rebook but I'm really limited on availabilities on camp sites and activities.

I would like some advice on to where to rebook? We will have a car but I did not want to have to drive a long distance before reaching the camp site.

Marblehead

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread post by Marblehead » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:31 pm

All,

This is an email that I received this morning. This is unfortunate since I was able to secure LST2U for my April trip.
So I guess my options are:
1. Move to other available units in Lower Sabie (but nothing else is available for my dates in Lower Sabie)
2. Move to other available units in other camps (most likely). Where? Crocodile Bridge?
3. Stick to my reservation and hope to be placed on a tent "that is not in such a bad state." This is first come first serve and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my trip on prior days if I keep thinking whether or not I will get the tent. Besides, I assume there will be construction noise. So back to Option no. 2.

This will be my first trip to Kruger. Would like to get inputs/opinions from frequent visitors here. Thanks in advance.

Dear Guests,
Further to the ongoing challenges that Lower Sabie rest camp in experiencing regarding the poor status of the tents, Management of the Kruger National Park have decided to close these tents for upgrade this current financial year 2017 – 2018.
The KNP management do acknowledge that bookings have been made in advance which will result in some of these bookings being moved to the available units in Lower Sabie camp or sister camps in the Kruger.
The other option would be to refund our guests money paid should it become difficult to move guests to available units. We would however be flexible to engage guests should they still wish to stay in some of the tents that are not in such a bad state and this will be on first come first serve and consent basis.
We have decided to close the tents starting from 13th February 2017 until the renovations or upgrades are completed.
Kind Regards,

KNP Management

chas

Re: Lower sabie safari tents closed for maintenance

Unread post by chas » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Beauty

I stayed in those tents in December. They really need a complete revamp. Terrible state.

The only other camps you have are Crocodile Bridge and Berg en Dal that is nearby.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cecilec
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cecilec » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks for this report, now we know, why we could not get a Tent at LS. :naughty:

Those tents sure need to be done, we were there in february 2016,it was raining 4 Days,so you can imagin how it was. :( :(

We will be in a Bungalow and thats ok this time.

Greetings
Cécile :gflower:
19.04.-21.04.17 Berg en Dal
21.04.-25.04.17 Crocodile Bridge
25.04.-30.04.17 SATARA
30.04.-06.05.17 LETABA
06.05.-08.05.17 Lower Sabi
08.05.-10.05.17 Crocodile Bridge

[b] "Try to have always your ducks in a row."
[/b]

deborahb

Unread post by deborahb » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Everyone :gflower:

I have just received the Email about the Safari Tents and I'm confused what to do now! Has anyone else received one who already have a booking?
I'm staying in one for two nights on April 5th. It has a number to 'enquire' about the situation but that will cost me a fortune as ill be ringing from England.
Do I just turn up on the day and see where they put us or do i really need to ring up?

Help please! :) x

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 pm

I would email the camp or head office and see if they have alternative accommodation in a hut or cottage Do it soon as I know of quite a few folk who have had these e-mails
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of algebra … !!!!!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:07 pm

I will try and find out for you in the morning what the situation is concerning this.

Cecilec
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cecilec » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:26 pm

deborahb wrote:Hi Everyone :gflower:

I have just received the Email about the Safari Tents and I'm confused what to do now! Has anyone else received one who already have a booking?
I'm staying in one for two nights on April 5th. It has a number to 'enquire' about the situation but that will cost me a fortune as ill be ringing from England.
Do I just turn up on the day and see where they put us or do i really need to ring up?

Help please! :) x

Hi Deborah,

maybe you write to this email:

Lower Sabie
Hospitality Services Manager
Ramontsho Ramfolo
email: ramontsho.ramfolo@sanparks.org

keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Greetings

Cécile :gflower:
19.04.-21.04.17 Berg en Dal
21.04.-25.04.17 Crocodile Bridge
25.04.-30.04.17 SATARA
30.04.-06.05.17 LETABA
06.05.-08.05.17 Lower Sabi
08.05.-10.05.17 Crocodile Bridge

[b] "Try to have always your ducks in a row."
[/b]

RobRay78

Unread post by RobRay78 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:53 am

Also received the email yesterday. Booked for 27 and 28 April. Probably one of the busiest weekends all year. The only units still available are in Punda Maria and Shingwedzi. I'm a bit miffed as I booked at 8:01am on the 3rd of May 2016 - I must have been one of the first Lower Sabie bookings for April. Throw in the fact that it's our 10-year anniversary weekend, and I have booked a bush braai on the first night and a morning walk on the 3rd morning....needless to say, this throws a spanner in the works.

The refund option is a complete cop-out - what do they think you can get 3 months out for the same amount of money (R1100/night)? All the accommodation in Hazyview and surrounds in that price range has long been sold out. They may as well refund my whole trip - flights etc.

The other irritation is that this all could have been avoided with some forward planning - by now they know how long these tents (or any other units - thinking of those shocking units at Berg-en-Dal that need some serious TLC) last before needing to be renovated. Surely you schedule that in advance? It's now 2017 - right next upgrade is due in 2020 (thumbsucking a date) - you can stagger the renovation - 1 tent out of commission every 3 weeks - and adjust the booking system accordingly. This can't be that hard - it's basic management of your facilities.

Anyway, rant over. I feel marginally better. :cry:

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread post by saraf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi Marblehead, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about this, it must be a disappointment.

Reply to the email and say that your first preference would be to stay in Lower Sabie but you would like to have the booking secured and ask what accommodation can they offer you for your dates. Then say that your second option would be to move to another camp, again ask what is available for your dates. They will try to find you similar accommodation (ie an LST2U) so make sure you specify what you are willing to accept, would a communal facilities tent or a hut (i.e. a down grade) be acceptable?

Are you staying in another camp during you trip? Alternative tents can be found in Crocodile Bridge, Skukuza (if you want to stay in the south) and Tambotie (slightly more central). If you don't mind a chalet/bungalow/rondavel but want to stay in the south then Skukuza, Pretoriouskop, Crocodile Bridge or Berg-an-Dal are all very good camps to stay in.

I'm sure Reservations will do all they can to help, they don't take the decision to cancel bookings lightly. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your stay without having too much stress.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:44 pm

You will not be able to reply to the E-mail as its a "Non Reply" one but please do send a new mail to the address given

Hospitality Services Manager
Ramontsho Ramfolo
email: ramontsho.ramfolo@sanparks.org

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Lower Sabie to close Tents for upgrade 2017
William Mabasa·Friday, 3 February 2017
Ref:- KNP 14/4/3/1 Notice to Close Lower Sabie Tents Dear Guests, Further to the ongoing challenges that Lower Sabie rest camp in experiencing regarding the poor status of the tents, Management of the Kruger National Park have decided to close these tents for upgrade this current financial year 2017 – 2018.
The KNP management do acknowledge that bookings have been made in advance which will result in some of these bookings being moved to the available units in Lower Sabie camp or sister camps in the Kruger. The other option would be to refund our guests money paid should it become difficult to move guests to available units. We would however be flexible to engage guests should they still wish to stay in some of the tents that are not in such a bad state and this will be on first come first serve and consent basis. We have decided to close the tents starting from February 2017 until the renovations or upgrades are completed.
Kind Regards, KNP Management, Ramontsho Ramfolo (Mr) Manager: Hospitality Services Kruger National Park: Lower Sabie Rest Camp South African National Parks 013 735 6056 (T) 013 735 6062(F) 086 685 3954(F to E) ramontsho.ramfolo@sanparks.org www.sanparks.org - Central Reservations: 012 428 9111 “A Sustainable National Park System Connecting Society”

Dear Guests;
The letter above was sent out by Lower Sabie Management to inform booked clients about the eminent renovations that are going to take place at the Lower Sabie tents in the next few weeks. The letter might not be clear enough in terms of conveying the intended message, but the essence of the message is to say, tents at Lower Sabie will be renovated from 13 February 2017 and all clients who are booked at those tents shall be given alternative accommodation in the camp. Should there be no chalets available at Lower Sabie for the booked periods, clients can be accommodated at other camps within the Park.
What should the affected clients do, is to please respond to the email sent and express their preference based on this situation or alternatively call management at Lower Sabie: Ramontsho Ramofolo is the Hospitality Manager and he is the first point of call.
Ramontsho Ramfolo (Mr)
Manager: Hospitality Services
Kruger National Park: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
South African National Parks
013 735 6056 (T)
013 735 6062(F)
086 685 3954(F to E)
ramontsho.ramfolo@sanparks.org
If Ramontsho is not available, any of his duty managers should be able to assist the guests. As management, we want to ensure that the inconveniences that has been caused by this renovation programme and the above letter, should be absolutely minimized; and should it be necessary for the guests to contact us as management, my email address is William.mabasa@sanparks.org or Lucy Nhlapo (Regional General Manager): Lucy.Nhlapo@sanparks.org
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by all this process.
- Dalene

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Re: Lower sabie safari tents closure POSTPONED

Unread post by Lesley Nyawo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:04 pm

LOWER SABIE TENT CLOSURE POSTPONED

REF: KNP 14/4/3/1

Date: 03 February 2017

Dear Guests,
Following on the earlier advisory regarding the closure and renovation of all tents at Lower Sabie, KNP Management further considered all the challenges, suggestions and concerns which were raised by affected visitors. Based on this, management has decided to suspend the renovation process until end of April 2017 in order to honour bookings already made until that period.
The plan is to upgrade the affected tents at Lower Sabie Rest Camp as from May 2017 in order to upgrade to the required standard. Due to the current poor standard of the tents, all the existing bookings for the affected tents will be discounted at a rate of 20% with immediate effect until the end of April 2017. In the case of fully paid reservations, the discounted amount will be place on the customer account as a credit on hold, which can be used for future reservations or camp activities.
Please note that the discounted rate will not be extended to newly renovated and or upgraded tents.
On behalf of KNP Management, we sincerely apologize to our valued guests for the unnecessary inconvenience suffered as a result of this poorly thought through process.
Should you require further assistance in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact either SANParks Customer Care Centre at 012 426 5017 or the Hospitality Services Manager: Lower Sabie, Ramontsho Ramfolo on telephone +27 13 735 6056/ email Ramontsho.ramfolo@sanparks.org.
Issued by:
KNP Management
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

Elsa

Re: Lower sabie safari tents closed for maintenance - POSTPONED

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Thank you for the update and info Lesley! :thumbs_up:

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lower sabie safari tents closed for maintenance - POSTPONED

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:50 am

Thank you Lesley.

It is a difficult situation for Lower Sabie - visitors not happy with the tents in their present condition and other visitors not happy to have the tents unavailable while they are upgraded to an acceptable condition. "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time".

I hope the upgrading goes ahead smoothly, once it is started, and that the "new" tents will be appreciated by all.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”