Skip to Content

Numbi Gate

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Numbi Gate

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:15 pm

Please be aware of this advisory!

Numbi Gate inaccessible due to protests on R538:
Guests of Kruger National Park are hereby informed that Numbi Gate is currently inaccessible due to protests in the surrounding areas such as Mahushu on the R538 road today, 23 February 2015. Guests are advised to use alternative routes e.g. R40/Kiepersol road leading to Phabeni and Paul Kruger Gates (please avoid Numbi for now) to access and exit Kruger National Park until further notice.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:31 pm

It is probably best, if one has enough time, to continue on the N4 and enter KNP at either Malelane or Crocodile Bridge Gates. The N4 is a good, fast road and the only real difference in time is the longer distance in the park, with the lower speed limit.

We are going up on 5th March and will enter at either Malelane or Crocodile Bridge - we are staying at Skukuza.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Latest news on Numbi?? We are driving from Johannesburg on Friday 20 March and plan to enter via Numbi (going to Pretoriuskop).
Chris Boucher
9 - 15 May 2017 - Berg-&-Dal
16 - 22 May - Lower Sabie
23 - 29 May - Satara
30 May - 5 June - Tsendze

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Stoffel, there is still an general advisory out re this road and gate but it does seem to change from day to day. Here
So the best thing is to keep an eye on the website close to the time and if there is any major problems it does get updated.
The latest one indicated it was OK Numbi Gate open
Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

wildebeeste

Unread post by wildebeeste » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 am

Stoffel,
We visit Kruger almost every year during May. Our favourite drive to Pretoriouskop from Nelspruit is on R538 to Numbi Gate, after we pick up supplies at White River. We drive carefully, to avoid as many potholes as possible, and since we are travelling the route in early/mid afternoon, the traffic is not unduly heavy.

I have to admit that, in 2012 when we took our families with us, I missed the turnoff to the Numbi Gate because the sign had been removed, ending up in Hazyview. I received a fair bit of ragging as a result.

Bandit The Dog

Unread post by Bandit The Dog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi Forumites

Has anyone recently been through Numbi Gate from the Hazyview side and experienced any issues? Planning to use Numbi and the H2-2 on the long weekend to get to Berg-en-Dal, but would divert to the long way around via Skukuza if there is feedback recommending still avoiding Numbi area.

Much appreciated!
BTD
Bandit The Dog

Bandit The Dog

Unread post by Bandit The Dog » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Update from recent entry through Numbi Gate - March 2016:
Note I used Numbi Gate to enter KNP on 19 March, approaching from the Hazyview side, so the status here doesn't include the state of the R538 south of the Numbi Gate turn. We experienced no major issues on the road through to the gate. There are some unmarked earth mounds acting as speedbumps in the township area of the R538 which would be more difficult to see and negotiate in the dark or bad weather conditions, and some livestock near the road, but the access is safe and easy. And the gate was very friendly and professionally run.
Bandit The Dog

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback Bandit The Dog! :thumbs_up:

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Toddelelfe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi BTD,
how long takes it you from the crossing to the R40 to the Numbi Gate?
:dance: Plane is booked, KNP, i am on a mission :doh:
+/- 25.11.-03.12.2016
:lol: 8) :cam:
2 Nights Pretoriuskop, 3 Nights Napi Trail (i am so excited!). 1 Night Lower Sabie, 2 Nights Biyamiti
2014 TR from KNP

fee

Unread post by fee » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:07 pm

From the R40 to Numbi it takes about 15-20 minutes.

At the R40 T junction, turn right and continue on that main road to the turnoff to Numbi its approx 10 km. There is a traffic light intersection where you need to turn left to go towards Numbi gate. When I was there last the road sign was down and lying on the side of the road due to roadworks, so watch out that you don't miss it.

There are a number of potholes in the last stretch of road with animals roaming around so do be careful.

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Toddelelfe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks for the quick answer :gflower:
:dance: Plane is booked, KNP, i am on a mission :doh:
+/- 25.11.-03.12.2016
:lol: 8) :cam:
2 Nights Pretoriuskop, 3 Nights Napi Trail (i am so excited!). 1 Night Lower Sabie, 2 Nights Biyamiti
2014 TR from KNP

gem166@msn.com

Unread post by gem166@msn.com » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:15 am

4 of us are planning to drive from Hazyview in the late afternoon to take a sunset drive followed by a braai in the Park. We have to leave our car at Numbi gate and will be dropped back around 9.30pm for the drive back to Hazyview.

Apart from the usual advice in driving in rural SA, e.g. potholes, animals, pedestrians, should we worry about our personal safety.?

Several posts on Tripadvisor, ( from tourists not locals) ,advise against driving around this area at night.

the other alternative is to take a group tour from Hazyview with a local driver who knows the ropes.

any opinions please? .

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Warm welcome to the forum gem166@msn.com! :clap:

From the previous posts it seems it was Ok during the day!

Of course I could be wrong but in my own personal opinion I would not travel this road at that time of night.

Bandit The Dog

Unread post by Bandit The Dog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:15 pm

@ Toddelelfe, sorry for missing your question above. Glad it seems to have been answered already. Yes, it's a short drive from the R40 intersection and fee is right, probably about 15-20 minutes only, with a very quick gate process because it's usually a quiet park entrance. The left turn to the gate off the R538 was well sign posted when I drove past.

@ gem, welcome to the forum. My opinion would be take the tour option. Even if there is very little risk on the short section between the gate and the R40 for your personal safety, even at night, a local driver will know the area and road far better, and if there is any drinking taking place at the braai (not sure how this fits in with the normal day visitor rules of no alcohol), you wouldn't be wise to drive from Numbi after that. Hope you and your group have a great experience at the Kruger braai!
Bandit The Dog

gem166@msn.com

Unread post by gem166@msn.com » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:25 am

thanks for your answers.

I have received similar answers on TripAdvisor, most people ( tourists not locals) say they wouldn't feel comfortable driving around that area so late at night. I will get back to the tour operator and voice my concerns.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”