Skip to Content

Sable Dam & Overnight/Bird Hide

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Pel's

Re: Sable Dam & Overnight/Bird Hide

Unread post by Pel's » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

So, my brother came to visit from the UK during September and I decided to bring him as close to nature as possible and booked a night at Sable hide for the two of us. I have stayed there before and found the experience amazing. He was very eager, but quite wary of the things that goes "bump"in the night.
We first spent a night at Tshipise and then early the next morning entered the park at Pafuri gate. We had great sightings of leopard, lion, wild dogs and honey badgers on the way. Birdlife was fantastic including the African Skimmers at Engelhardt dam.
At Sable hide there was quite a few ellies and buff drinking and we had a nice fire going, preparing for a lovely quiet night. My brother acquainted himself with the long-drops provided after inspecting it properly with a number of flash- and spotlights for anything that should not be there. He did not however close the door as he felt natural light filtering in was the way to go.
When nature called an I had to go, I found a nasty surprise as I closed the door. The mother of all black mambas lay curled up behind the door! I called my brother to show him our camp companion for the night. Needless to say, he was not impressed at all.
He wanted to get out of there. Immediately!
It took me half the night to try and convince him that this mamba has probably been staying in the camp for a while and that she won't do us any harm as it was quite cool and mambas don't hunt at night.
When we went to bed that evening, he tried to close every hole in the hide and "mamba proof"everything. I just told him that if something comes slithering into his sleeping bag, he must stay calm, don't move and call me to help him. Just as I fell asleep I got woken up by a blood curdling scream and my brother flying through the air, still in his sleeping bag. When he was finally able to speak, he told me that something ran over him... a mouse.
The next morning when I woke, he was waiting for me in the vehicle. Packed and ready to go.

PARDUS1029
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PARDUS1029 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for the update on the possible camp companions that might share the hide, as we are there in a couple of weeks.

:think: :wall: :wall:
Willie de Beer

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Pel's, I would have been with your brother!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

However glad you enjoyed, and had some lovely sightings from Pafuri down to Sable. :dance:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 am

Pels, what a night for your brother... :shock:
Im sure you must have gotten quite a fright when you discoverd the mamba :whistle:
I guess your brother WONT EVER be going back to the hide again with you... :wink:

Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am

Pels, I must be honest my sympathies are with your brother on this one. :big_eyes:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Pel's

Unread post by Pel's » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:20 am

Well, he had an experience he won't forget that easily. Which in a way was the whole point of staying at the hide.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am

Certainly a "wild" introduction to the park for your brother Pel's! :whistle:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”