Skip to Content

Roodewal Bush Lodge

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
louisvdw

Unread post by louisvdw » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm

There were some special moments, like an elephant bull in muthst?? that walked past right underneath the lookout platform - you would not believe the stench and the smell stayed there for about half an hour.

In the late afternoons a very big troop of baboons goes past the camp in the river bed, it is very interesting to see how they organised themselves with the recce in front, then some big males etc.

The first evening we could hear a leopard killing a small baboon in the cliffs on the opposite side of the river bed, and all the commotion going with it, i think he missed the kill the second evening because the commotion was less.

in the evenings you can make a big fire in the middle of the braai area and sit around it - i enjoyed that.

I would advise the bush lodge for people who are the easy going type of people, but San Parks should manage and maintain the place better, I think if you go and stay there without booking while the camp is "open" nobody would even know that - certainly Morris does not seem to have a clue of who is coming or going.

Bothali

Unread post by Bothali » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 pm

We spent three nights at Roodewal in September 2006 and a week in March this year.

In September we invited family and had a wonderful time, especially in the evenings into the night when we braaied / cooked (some very fancy recipes at that) and played games while listening to the calls of fierynecked nightjars and scops owl. The moon was still almost full and we often watched large elephant bulls grazing in the grass below the platform. By day we also saw breeding herds crossing the dry river bed towards the far left.

Our game drives were very productive indeed (we saw the big five more than once) and it was a joy to have the road to ourselves during the first and last hour or so of the day.

It was wonderful spending time in the camp sometimes without going out for long drives. There are many bird species to be seen in the camp. We fell asleep on the benches on the platform while listening to the call of blue spotted doves. It was incredible!

Nobody complained of anything and we had everything we needed.

In March it was incredibly hot. I would not advise anybody to spend time in this camp during hot summer months unless the heat doesn't bother them (like us). We had no trouble with anything, except that one couple in our party didn't have hot water, which didn't matter on account of the heat.

We again saw the big five on more than one occasion driving along the Timbavati and all our drives were very productive. We also spent a lot of time in the camp. The monkeys are always around and we had an encounter with a black mamba, which (once killed - not by us) attracted quite a few birds of prey. It was also interesting to see the behavior of the many tree squirrels - at first we didn't know it was them making such a racket while the snake was around and alive.

We arranged for night drives during both visits and in March, especially, we had a wonderful drive and enjoyed the best leopard sighting we have ever had.

In March we did not spend a lot of time outside as we had in September as our party was smaller (four people only) and the heat was quite tiring. It was very dry and we went to bed quite early. However, I missed our September nights outside. As we lay in our beds we could hear the baboons possibly being attacked or something across the dry river bed.

We were quite happy with our surroundings and the camp. It is kept very clean and tidy and we had no complaints.

It don't believe that this is a camp where one would / should take small children. It feels very remote and I felt uneasy walking around the perimeter on my own. I would really worry about small children. There is no electricity as solar heating is used, which we have always known and we have no problem with that. There is no airconditioning - only fans. The evenings were cool enough with all the window open and the fans on.

I would visit this camp again and again in spite of the heat in March.

davegrohl

Unread post by davegrohl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi, this is only my second post.

I stayed at Roodewaal last month for 3 nights - just me and my wife.

It was worth every cent paying to have the camp to yourself! it was rather hot (peaked at around 35 degrees) during the day and aircon or fans that worked would have been a pleasure, but it was an incredible experience over all. From a game viewing aspect, it was tops. those that have stayed there would know about the pan about 1 km outside the camp. returning from a drive (at around 18h29 - only people on the road that time of day) we passed the pan to notice that the usual impala and giraffe where nowhere to be seen. It all made sense when we saw 9 lionesses lying out in the open next to the pan, 20 meters from the road. we stayed will it got dark (a pleasure to have such a great sighting on your own!), got back to the camp 25 minutes late and explained why. the guy at the camp (philip i think?) didnt seem to mind, and was excited to hear about the lions.

awesome.

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by francoisd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am

leelee wrote:...They are changing existing accommodation into single huts and in future the accommodation can be booked individually like in a bushveld camp. ...

Now this is interesting news. Can we maybe get an official confirmation of this please. I assume from the time line mentioned that it might still take some time before this is completed though.

Will definitely consider staying there if the above is indeed the case. Booking a whole camp for me, SO and daughter is a bit of an overkill, but we enjoy the bush camps and family units
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:08 am

If true, this is super duper news francoisd, because I find a drive from Orpen Tambotie to Olifants/Letaba a little far. Roodewaal as a 3 day pitstop doesnt sound bad, and I love the scenery of the s39 :D

Waiting for reply..........
Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

zakiya

Unread post by zakiya » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi guys,

I've just called in to check on the upgrades taking place...

They are basically building individual kitchen units to the four sleeping units.

leelee was correct in saying that this will allow SANParks to let out the 4 units individually, should that be required.

The previous arrangement of the whole camp being booked is still going to stand based on availability of all the units.

Keep dreaming guys - you never know when it will come true!!!

I hope this response is satisfactory? Anything else you wanna know, I'll check....

Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushmad » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info!

I have mixed feelings about this.....on the one hand, I think its great that more people will be able to experience staying there....but on the other, wont this make block booking virtually impossible and obviously the cost of doing so would go up.....

On the whole, it is more sensible and as long as the capacity of the camp does not increase, I think it's great that it is receiving much needed refurbishing.

Basically it would be something between a Bush Lodge and a Bushveld Camp. I hope no reception etc.... a luxury version of Balule!!! And, it actually might make getting a booking slightly easier...so on the whole, a good move. Just as long as it still remains possible to book the whole camp on the same basis as it has been if you want to....
"Acts of kindness never die. They linger in the memory, giving lift to other acts in return."
Lord Sacks - From Optimism to Hope

Freda

Re: Roodewal Bush Lodge

Unread post by Freda » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:32 am

Kingfisha wrote:Some people mention 4 units, I was under the impression there were 5 units?

We sayed there last Christmas, there were 4 units, 3 units have 3 single beds on the ground floor and 2 matresses in the open loft area, making a total of 5 per unit.
The fourth unit has two bedrooms, sleeping a total of four people.
Hope this helps :D

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi Freda
Thanks, that helped. It seems they are going to keep the 4 units. But each one will have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with a kitchen area. So you will be able to sleep 4 per unit X 4 = 16 people in total if you want to book the whole camp. They will have a communal area (maybe at the deck so all can enjoy it). You will also be able to book only one unit.

Catriona

Unread post by Catriona » Thu May 14, 2009 10:31 am

We stayed at Roodewal in the middle of April for four nights and it was great. We've stayed before (3 years ago) and so have seen it 'before' and 'after' updates. For those who have stayed before, the layout is exactly the same, with the same huts. Now, all the huts have two separated bedrooms and bathrooms (with a door between the two bedrooms) and a front 'veranda' enclosed by mesh windows and door (no mosquitos or monkeys!). The kitchenette is in this front segment. The whole of this is within the original hut, so the bedrooms are relatively smaller compared to the one very large room there was before, but how much space does one need to sleep in?! The hut that previously had two bedrooms is now basically the same as the others, it just is bigger, so the bedrooms are bigger (with a kind of dressing room) as is the living area. The communal kitchen and dining room are still there, as are the the cheeky monkeys who managed to get into our car and steal the apples while we were unloading - don't leave anything open!

We had loads of space as the family with whom we were supposed to be travelling were unable to come at the last minute as their youngest daughter broke her leg jumping off the school climbing frame the day before we travelled (from England), so it was a bitter/sweet time for us - fantastic time but sad that our friends couldn't share it with us. But we're planning our next trip to South Africa together already!

We saw a leopard and a pride of lion at the Roodewal water pan on different days and another leopard (mid-morning) on the Satara road (it wandered along the road in front of us!) only a few km from the Roodewal turn, so it was very fruitful for game viewing as well as being probably the most relaxing place on earth for us!

Enjoy your stays - I'm only a little envious!!

Catriona

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi
I hope someone can help. From all the information received while they were upgrading Roodewal it was clear that you would be able to book the units individually - that is why they now all have kitchens.

But when I phoned reservations they told me that you have to book the whole camp and it's R4000 per night. What happened?

wbevents

Unread post by wbevents » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:29 am

Stayed there in August, what a place ! :thumbs_up:
Can't see why they want to make it able to book the units individually, it will lose the whole "private camp" appeal and feeling
For us it was nice to have the kitchen especially with children.
July 2016 booked !!!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:47 am

AWB wrote:
Bosnimf wrote:Image

Sorry folks, a bit off topic but what's up with this. What happened to the pic.

Not logged into the account for 90 days, despite the warning email. That means the photos are offline now, and soon will be deleted...
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

francoisd

Unread post by francoisd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 pm

The following was posted on 15 July 2008

zakiya wrote:Hi guys,

I've just called in to check on the upgrades taking place...

They are basically building individual kitchen units to the four sleeping units.

leelee was correct in saying that this will allow SANParks to let out the 4 units individually, should that be required.

The previous arrangement of the whole camp being booked is still going to stand based on availability of all the units.

Keep dreaming guys - you never know when it will come true!!!

I hope this response is satisfactory? Anything else you wanna know, I'll check....

So from this response it seemed that units could individually be booked. One can still book the whole camp IF all units are available - again showing that individual units could be booked.

Agree that an official comment would be appreciated
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall

www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

pamelajane

Roodewal

Unread post by pamelajane » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 am

Please can someone give me advice on the bungalows at Roodewal?I have booked 4 nights in May and have 7 couples eager to join us -however my booking form (and parks web site)description of accommodation says the bungalows have 3 beds and a loft with matresses.Obviously that would not be suitable for adults to share but I recall reading that the upgrade has divided the bungalows into 2 bedrooms which would be fine.Help please :pray: Pam

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”