Skip to Content

Concessions in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rules in Concessions of KNP

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 pm

johanrebel wrote:The Makuleke is not a concession, it is private land. The Makuleke Community have entered into a contractual national park agreement with SANParks. Off-roading has been allowed for a few years now, but only in certain areas and subject to very strict rules.

True, I do realise Makuleke is not a concession, but during our visit there they actually never went off-road. I did, however, get the feeling that most of the guides were very pro-conservation there.

If I may name names... :whistle:

Lion Sands advertise as follows on their Tinga Lodge (situated in a concession in KNP):
With 5000 hectares/ of wild bush in this private concession within the world-renowned Kruger National Park, you can go exploring off-road and follow the footsteps of the leopard, track down a herd of elephant or simply wait for them to come to you.

Let's assume that the rule stands they are not allowed to go off-road in KNP concessions. We all know it will happen from time to time - it is almost impossible to enforce this strictly. But if one starts advertising it - it is out in the open and definitely happening regularly. I've got no problem with lodges going off-road outside of KNP. But if the land still (kind of) belongs to KNP, rules are in place to protect it, and it should then be enforced.

This is all assuming the rule stands. Does anybody know if there is such a rule?
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesego » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Dear All :)

Please see below an extract from the Concessions Manual: Concessions are allowed to drive off road but only under certain conditions.

The Concessionaire will maintain a register and record on a daily basis each off-road driving event that occurs, including all relevant details of the event, as required by SANParks. Failure to maintain the register will be cause for terminating a Concessionaire’s permission to drive off-road.

GUIDELINES
Off-road driving may only be undertaken in the event of a confirmed sighting of elephant, leopard, lion, rhino, buffalo, wild dog, and cheetah;

Off-road driving will not be permitted in areas where Red Data Plant species are known to exist, or in any other areas that SANParks are using for conservation or other management purposes;

Vehicles driving off-road may under no circumstances follow in the tracks of another vehicle;

NO off-road driving will be permitted at river crossings. Concessionaires wishing to drive along riverbeds must develop and carefully manage track spurs into and out of the river(s), which will count as part of the road and track network allocation;

Off-road driving is not permitted in wet conditions, on sodic patches, or duplex soils; and
Any off-road damage to be repaired immediately (compaction reversed, ruts erased)
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Thank you Lesego! That answered my question. I was under the impression that it was not allowed at all in the concessions (just as is the case in the rest of KNP). If they are allowed this (as per the rules), then I have no problem with them advertising it. I do believe it was thoroughly investigated before the rules were laid down, and that the impact was esimated then to be minor. :thumbs_up:
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

garethrix

Best Luxury Lodges In Kruger

Unread post by garethrix » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:58 am

Good day everyone :)

I am looking for some advice on specifically, three luxury accomdoation lodges which are advertised in Kruger National Park. I have visited each of the respective websites and seen all of the photos, however, would prefer some input from guests who have recently visited or have their own photos and experiences of these Lodges.

The three Lodges are the HOYO HOYO, HAMILTON'S TENTS AND IMBALI LODGE. All three of these are advertised on the San Park online website. i would appreciate anyone's input and experience and whether it is worth the money and price.

I have always stayed at the normal camps within the park and love it and the accomodation, however I am looking to surprise someone and keen on trying one of these luxury lodges.

If there are any other lodges in kruger or bordering Kruger that you would recommend, please let me know too, hopefully in the same price range- aka- R 2,000 - R 3,000 per night per person.

Thanks so much :)

Gareth

Elsa

Re: Best Luxury Lodges In Kruger

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Gareth, have a read through Concession lodges in KNP
Don't think the info is too much up to date but might make for interesting reading.
and in case these were not what you read up Concession lodges on the website.
Hopefully some of the members will be able to provide more current info.

garethrix

Unread post by garethrix » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks so much Elsa, will definately have a read now :)

lowveldlover

Unread post by lowveldlover » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Haven't stayed at the other two, but Hamilton's Tented Camp was superb! Fantastic area, amazing facilities and hospitality, and very friendly and knowledgeable staff.

The only negative at this time would be that, due to the drought, the central western area of Kruger (where Hamilton's is located) is currently extremely dry...thus the game viewing is apparently not as good as it usually is.
I've been known to take a cold beer on a hot day...

Tamboti - 13/08/16 - 16/08/16
Shimuwini - 16/08/16 - 18/08/16
Satara - 18/08/16 - 21/08/16

lowveldlover

Unread post by lowveldlover » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:46 pm

PS: Never stayed there, but heard fantastic things about Lukimbi Safari Lodge down south (between Afsaal and Biyamiti). Great game area as well, very close to Crocodile River and S25.
I've been known to take a cold beer on a hot day...

Tamboti - 13/08/16 - 16/08/16
Shimuwini - 16/08/16 - 18/08/16
Satara - 18/08/16 - 21/08/16

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:43 pm

We have stayed at Jock's safari lodge not one of those mentioned but its another private kruger lodge. On the same trip we also stayed at Elephant plains in greater Kruger. Tbh if I am going to pay the kind of money you pay for a private camp then I would rather pay for one in greater then knp themselves. Reason for this is quite simple you don't really see much more then you would from a normal camp when hiring a sanparks drive or an osv drive. You only really getting luxury food and accommodation extra. While at the greater lodges you see a lot more and closer up.

If I am going to spend that kind of money I would rather go for one of the greater Kruger lodge. Else just stick to the normal camps and hire either sanpark drives or an osv.

Make no mistake Jocks is very well run and a nice camp but just don't feel if offers enough in terms of money compared to the great kruger lodges.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”