Skip to Content

Concessions in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rules in Concessions of KNP

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 pm

johanrebel wrote:The Makuleke is not a concession, it is private land. The Makuleke Community have entered into a contractual national park agreement with SANParks. Off-roading has been allowed for a few years now, but only in certain areas and subject to very strict rules.

True, I do realise Makuleke is not a concession, but during our visit there they actually never went off-road. I did, however, get the feeling that most of the guides were very pro-conservation there.

If I may name names... :whistle:

Lion Sands advertise as follows on their Tinga Lodge (situated in a concession in KNP):
With 5000 hectares/ of wild bush in this private concession within the world-renowned Kruger National Park, you can go exploring off-road and follow the footsteps of the leopard, track down a herd of elephant or simply wait for them to come to you.

Let's assume that the rule stands they are not allowed to go off-road in KNP concessions. We all know it will happen from time to time - it is almost impossible to enforce this strictly. But if one starts advertising it - it is out in the open and definitely happening regularly. I've got no problem with lodges going off-road outside of KNP. But if the land still (kind of) belongs to KNP, rules are in place to protect it, and it should then be enforced.

This is all assuming the rule stands. Does anybody know if there is such a rule?
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-31 July 2016 - Shingwedzi

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesego » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Dear All :)

Please see below an extract from the Concessions Manual: Concessions are allowed to drive off road but only under certain conditions.

The Concessionaire will maintain a register and record on a daily basis each off-road driving event that occurs, including all relevant details of the event, as required by SANParks. Failure to maintain the register will be cause for terminating a Concessionaire’s permission to drive off-road.

GUIDELINES
Off-road driving may only be undertaken in the event of a confirmed sighting of elephant, leopard, lion, rhino, buffalo, wild dog, and cheetah;

Off-road driving will not be permitted in areas where Red Data Plant species are known to exist, or in any other areas that SANParks are using for conservation or other management purposes;

Vehicles driving off-road may under no circumstances follow in the tracks of another vehicle;

NO off-road driving will be permitted at river crossings. Concessionaires wishing to drive along riverbeds must develop and carefully manage track spurs into and out of the river(s), which will count as part of the road and track network allocation;

Off-road driving is not permitted in wet conditions, on sodic patches, or duplex soils; and
Any off-road damage to be repaired immediately (compaction reversed, ruts erased)
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Thank you Lesego! That answered my question. I was under the impression that it was not allowed at all in the concessions (just as is the case in the rest of KNP). If they are allowed this (as per the rules), then I have no problem with them advertising it. I do believe it was thoroughly investigated before the rules were laid down, and that the impact was esimated then to be minor. :thumbs_up:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-31 July 2016 - Shingwedzi

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”