Pretoriuskop camping controversy

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pretoriuskop camping controversy

Unread post by spargish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone :D

I saw something a while ago at Pretoriuskop that didn't sit well with me and then again I read about it this weekend. What I read this weekend just stuck in my mind and I knew I had to at least bring the issue up. If you have camped at Pretoriuskop recently you will have noticed almost semi-permanent tents setup in the corner of the campsite along the perimeter. There are basically no campsites left along the fence on the top section. I believe that these campsites have been paid up for the next 12 months. The company that is running this is called Tented Adventures Pretoriuskop, they then resell these campsites as per person at a cost of R2450 per person per night. I believe that the bottom perimeter sites may have also been taken over. I have seen complaints about excessive noise coming from the area and of excise lighting disturbing other campers.

This leaves an extremely poor taste in ones mouth. To think that regular joes will need to take the scraps that are left in an already small camping area. Where would something like this stop, what will be left the regular joe's who mostly make use of the camping facilities?

Is this something that SANParks is aware of this? Or is this a loop whole that someone is exploiting to making an obscene profit ? Is this something we can expect to see more of? Surely if Safari companies want to offer a camping experience they should only be allowed to setup camp when they have guests and breakdown camp when they leave.

I would really like to see an official comment from SANParks on this one?

Below are some pictures I have attached, these are not at Pretoriuskop but they setup there is identical

NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Elsa

Re: Pretoriuskop camping controversy

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Spargish I have sent in a request for info re these tents.
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:30 pm

much appreciated Elsa :gflower:

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Cant see how SANParks are not aware of it. It is a big camp inside the camp. Here is a link to their page. http://tentedadventures.com/kruger-national-park/

I don't see how they can onsell the accommodation without having an agreement with SANParks and it does leave a sour taste in the mouth if campers are losing sites for this kind of operation.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Also feels the same as the others about taking up part of the campsite on a near permanent base by private groups. Surely I can't park a mobile park home unit there for a year and rent it out as well.

The other question I have is on the game drives they promote. Will they be able to go on early morning and late afternoon drives returning back outside gate opening times?
Next trip: Kgalagadi in July 2017

Last trip: Tsitsikamma NP, Addo Elephant NP and Mountain Zebra NP

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm

At R2450.00 pppn..... affordable? I nearly choked on a piece of boere wors. This amounts to hijacking of a piece of Africa meant to be enjoyed by paupers like me.

It reminds me of what happened during the soccer world cup in 2010. I was invited to Ingwelala private (non commercial) reserve in the Umbabat area next to Klaserie and Timbavati. One evening we decided to go for a drink at Motswari, which is a commercial lodge. On our arrival, we saw lots of staff and other workers but no guests. We were told that a billionaire from the Gulf region booked out (and paid) all the lodges in that area but he and his entourage occupied only one lodge. He wanted to make sure that he had the whole area to himself.

So spargish, I am with you on this one.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 pm

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: oh my goodness but I ill wait and see what Sanparks have to say , that's an awful lot of money to pay for a tent DBB where will they have that and those game drives .... I just worry that they will be using the Sanparks vehicles .
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Please guys, I have already said I have asked for a response and lets give them time to do that! :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:41 am

I know we are awaiting a response from SANParks, but can someone please identify on the map where these tents are located. We have booked the Joubert GH for a family get together and I really hope we will not be disturbed by noisy neighbours. We all go to the KNP for the peace and quiet. It has been a while since we stayed at Pretoriuskop so I am not familiar with the layout. I have looked at the map, but can't identify location. Thanks.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 am

Son godin wrote:Also feels the same as the others about taking up part of the campsite on a near permanent base by private groups. Surely I can't park a mobile park home unit there for a year and rent it out as well.

The other question I have is on the game drives they promote. Will they be able to go on early morning and late afternoon drives returning back outside gate opening times?

Exactly!

I would presume any guests wanting to go on drives outside of gate opening time they would have to make use of the SANParks drives.

cheetahlady wrote:I know we are awaiting a response from SANParks, but can someone please identify on the map where these tents are located. We have booked the Joubert GH for a family get together and I really hope we will not be disturbed by noisy neighbours. We all go to the KNP for the peace and quiet. It has been a while since we stayed at Pretoriuskop so I am not familiar with the layout. I have looked at the map, but can't identify location. Thanks.

Hi Cheetah lady,
If you look at the map you will see there is an upper and lower camping section, when I saw it they were in the upper section top left corner above the Joubert guest house.

Dup

Unread post by Dup » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

So I can book Safari tent no 7 at Letaba for the rest of 2017. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

NO to frackers products
Biyamiti camp 6-12 November 2016
2017 Nov, everything in place, Biyamiti with our German friends !!!!!

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Dup wrote:So I can book Safari tent no 7 at Letaba for the rest of 2017. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Put new linen, a couch and a bit of redecorating and you can charge 10x price too. :wink:

Dup

Unread post by Dup » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 pm

RobertT wrote:
Dup wrote:So I can book Safari tent no 7 at Letaba for the rest of 2017. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Put new linen, a couch and a bit of redecorating and you can charge 10x price too. :wink:

Agree Robert T, we must just get a story to tell the private safari camps like Jock and Singita as we pirate their clients ,I'am not worried about the guest from the "Skukuza Safari lodge" as Sanparks give us the :thumbs_up:
SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

NO to frackers products
Biyamiti camp 6-12 November 2016
2017 Nov, everything in place, Biyamiti with our German friends !!!!!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:11 am

Thank you spargish. I know how much you care about fairness.

Let's wait for the reply.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am

Just a bump as we are still waiting for a reply :?

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”