Skip to Content

Orpen Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Orpen questions

Unread post by G@mespotter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:29 pm

safarigal wrote:We would like to have breakfast at Orpen but need to know what options we have there.

Do they serve breakfast at Orpen gate/camp? I seem to recall a "coffee shop" with benches outside and of course the little shop as well, but as we only ordered coffee there I can not remember if they served any food.

Next question - If we brought our own brekkies, do they hire skottels at their picnic site?

Orpen only has a small shop to my knowledge.

I'm not a 100% sure, however I have never seen a restaurant or something similar at Orpen, so I highly doubt it. Your best best will be to drive to Muzandzeni picnic spot (junction s126 and s36) or Timbavatie picnic spot (s39/s40/s127 junction). I know for sure Timbavati picnic spot has skottels to hire, and can highly recommend it. Muzandzeni is also very lovely, however not a 100% sure they (still) have skottels although I think they do. Maybe someone els can advise you on this.

Orpen - Muzandzeni is 32 km (1-1,5 hours) and Orpen -Timbavati is 74 km (2-2,5 hours) driving (without time spent at sightings).
Last edited by G@mespotter on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greatest Kruger lover

safarigal

Re: Orpen Rest Camp

Unread post by safarigal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:16 pm

Yes that was my fear - no skottels.

We were trying to find another place for breakfast. we will be staying at Satara for 10 days and love making our brunch on a hired skottles at Muzandzeni, Timbavati and Nwanetsi. We were just hoping that this would give un another option .... drat, I guess not. Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

DinkyBird

Re: Orpen Rest Camp

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm

What about Tshokwane as an option? And even venture to Olifants/Letaba - Letaba have a lovely day visitors area.
- Dalene

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”